PDA

View Full Version : Got my monster but ........

Sqwifeve
05-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Got my 695 at last :thumbsup: but still no tax disc. :worried:

Despite efforts by the guys at MotoRapido, the V5 still hasn't arrived from the DVLA, although they insist it was sent to them. They think it might have gone to the previous owner but weren't able to get hold of him to ask again.

They would have let me use another bike until it arrives but I wouldn't fit.

So that I could get the bike to use for the weekend, Wilf suggested I use it without the disc and they'd pay the fine if I get stopped, as it is still registered to them. So Chris rode it home to me after work today as they didn't have the van handy, and Wilf drove to take him back to Winchester afterwards.

It looks bloody lovely. :heart: And it's all mine. :cool:

Bodybag
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Hurrah for another monsterererer!! Hope to see you out at some time in the near future. :D

Jim66a
05-04-2007, 11:52 PM
i got pulled the other day for no tax disk. just told me to get it sorted. is it still an offence now that they can check instantly from your reg no.?

CK & AK
06-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Failure to display is the 1st crime....:(

Good on Steve at MR - just ride the thing this weekend :)

Headhunter
06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Agree, just ride it.

You're only going to get pulled over if you do something stupid, or if they are exceptionally bored and just do so to admire your new set of wheels!

Enjoy the weekend.

squiffything
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Just ride eve I went down to Goodwood last weekend with last years tax disk still showing the new one in my pocket lol you will not get pulled and if you do you have mitigating circumstances and as said before you have tax paid which they can check on the system. Go and enjoy!

singletrack
06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Great news Eve x

scrumpster
06-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Hope to see you soon Eve and you Anne!! Tax discs are all dealt with via the post and fixed penalty notices as far as I am aware. I think that a Reg check would pick up if anyone is taxed or not, but I wouldn't worry if the guys are paying the fine, it's a non recordable offence.

slob
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
As CK and AK say, failure to display a valid tax disc is usually the charge.
Personally, I'd stick a note saying 'Tax in post' on the thing and go.

Bodybag
06-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I never ride with a tax disc showing. My excuse is that they get nicked so if the police want to see it, give me a producer and I'll show it at a police station. Sometimes I have it in the mesh pocket on my bag. It means I'm taxed but the bike isn't?! :confused:

kathb
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM
My tax disc is always on the bike somewhere, just not neccessarily on display. It's cunningly kept in the seat! My partner has had several nicked off his bike so now keeps his in the seat.

Paivi
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
When I bought my 695, I had to wait for the tax disc for six weeks but rode the bike home immediately. With new bikes (not sure if this applies to second hand ones from dealers), there's apparently a two-week grace period to get the tax disc on the bike. I was stopped after that, for a routine check by the Vehicle Inspectorate and the police, and they could see that a tax disc had been issued for the bike and I even had the receipt to show I had bought the bike with tax.

Coppers know why you're not displaying the disc, so they're OK with it. The people you'll need to be careful with are London parking attendants: they're allowed to issue fixed penalty notices for failure to display!

Oh, and another group who are concerned about the lack of tax discs are the Surrey armed police... http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/r/rofl.gif

banditloon
06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
I never ride with a tax disc showing. My excuse is that they get nicked so if the police want to see it

That happened to me, many years ago in my yoof. The tax got nicked off my AR125 in London somewhere. I reported it to the police, got the crime number and a letter from my local police station. Rode around for another 2 months just with the letter from a Surrey police officer :chuckle: Got stopped once, and showed the copper the letter, enough said.

6 Months after the theft of my tax disc, I get a letter from the Metropolitan Police. My tax disc had turned up on a 'CAR' stopped by traffic police in London somewhere! Tax disc back, but the bike was already written off in an accident :(

Failure to display, but if you have the tax in a tax disc holder, sure the "it fell off officer" excuse would work. Especially on these rattly v-twin cylinder contrapctions :chuckle: And yes, they can tell if your vehicle is taxed and MOT'd by pressing a few keys :thumbsup:

Bodybag
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
By my reckoning you can go a full month without displaying tax. As it doesn't matter when in the month you buy the tax disc, its always valid from the start of the month. Just be aware that you can't buy tax for last month. I think that makes sense.