PDA

View Full Version : Biking in New Zealand

Duncan
05-04-2007, 07:17 PM
The last few weeks I have been away working in Auckland, New Zealand.

On walking into the Palace Bar opposite the hotel one night I ran into the pleasant bar maid Larissa who was sporting a New Zealand Motorcycle Rentals T shirt.

Turns out that as well as working and living at the bar, she runs the premier motorcycle rental business in Kiwi land. http://www.nzbike.com/2004/default.asp

I had been wondering what to do on my last weekend in NZ and she duly suplied me with a septic yellow SV650 for 3 days from their fleet of Bandits, Diversions, SVs, GS's, VFR's etc etc.

Visit the web site http://www.nzbike.com/2004/default.asp its all they claim and then some!!!.

I rode the Pacific Coast Highway onto the Coramandel Peninsula on brilliant twisty roads ideally suited to the SV, then got down to Rotorua to see the Geysers and geothermal activity. On the way I took in Hot Water Beach where at low ide you can dig pools and sit in them as they fill with hot water from underground and the fantastic Cathedral Cove. I wish I had another 6 months to see the rest of the country, ride the 90 mile beach, see the North and East Capes, the Bay of Islands, the south Island etc etc..

They organised brilliant Autumn weather with hot sun on all days and even supplied the bike gear for me to wear.

You can ride all day on the best roads you have ever ridden with stunning scenery round every bend. Theres no traffic, and drivers are considerate and give you space and allow you to pass. Its biking heaven.

For anyone getting over there, they have offices on North and South Island so its dead convenient. This is gilt edged, gold plated biking.

When I get a moment I will post some pics but for anyone who wants an amazing biking holiday thats a bit different contact them, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. tours@nzbike.com

Pegleg Pete
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Me Me!

I'll take 10 :D

scrumpster
05-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Dean Rangihuna is a top bloke, I hired a yellow SV650 from them last August and did the Coromandel Loop and went out for a ride out with the African Eagles - I had a ball, it was brilliant and the bike was great to ride too!!!

I'd love to go back and do the North and South Island - the roads and scenery just can't be beaten :thumbsup:

Kiwi
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
been around the south island about 9 times on a bike great place to ride, west coast and central otago take a lot of beating for scenery and great pubs

Duncan
06-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey Scrumpster.

They only got the 2 yellow SV's so chances are we had same bike!!

As promised a few pics, sorry abput the poor res but the web site only allows small images. Saw Geysers at Rotorua and theres Cathedral Cove and a view of the Coramandel.

scrumpster
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
My one had a givi screen, but it was cracked, so it may have finally broken off, got a few pictures around here somewhere :thumbsup:

DesmoJohnny
06-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Yep awesome roads and scenery - the South Island is better as there are fewer cars,people,police ! But then I am biased I guess as I live there :chuckle:

Heading back home next week,currently working in Scotland, then I will be getting the Monster out for the Southern Cross Road Rally :thumbsup: run by RustyNuts M/C Club.Takes in the four extreme points of the country over 5 days(including 2 ferry crossings).
Will try and post some pics once done if anyone is interested.

If anyone is thinking about coming out on holiday and riding - give me a shout, I will be happy to help out if I can. :yoparty:
Cheers

gary tompkins
06-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Duncan,

Glad you are enjoying NZ

I have lots of relatives in Auckland - my dad's brother emigrated there when I was six. Expect the place is knee deep in the Tompkins clan by now. My dad flew out to visit as part of a round the world trip a few years ago, maybe I'll do the same one of these days?

spm23
10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
As another "wondering Kiwi" and having ridden around both islands several times, I too am proud to say that New Zealand offer some of the most beautiful riding in the world, especially if you are not afraid of unsealed roads. And the people are very friendly and helpful. It's not uncommon for a rural farmer to lend a stranded motorcyclist the use of his "ute" (utility vehicle for non-antipodean) to get them to back to safety, no fee necessary. Long may it last (and respected).