PDA

View Full Version : wheel wont turn!!!!!

jerry
04-04-2007, 09:03 PM
just changed rear tyre , put wheel back on same way it came off , torqued it to correct torque for M750 and now it wont turn , checked brake its ok removed brake , checked the spacer on the chain side its in correct way conical side out ,still wheel wont turn, loosened of torque so wheel nuts are nearly loose and wheel turns but i cant ride it like this what the heck is going on?

this is weird i have changed rear wheels on dozens of bike and never had this problem.

gremlin
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
have you had the wheel out of this bike before ? was the spindle nut tight when you took the wheel off ??
the only thing that comes to mind is that the spacer between the wheel bearings isnt there or some how has dropped into the wheel , so the spindle isnt going through the spacer thus squeezing the bearings.(dont know if the latter is possible on a monster), but it would give the symptoms you describe

Shandy
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
checked the spacer on the chain side its in correct way conical side out

Wrong way dude, domed bit faces inwards into the centre of wheel with flat side against swingarm :idea:

Zimbo
04-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Shandy's right, it goes conical side in and flat face out.

DrD
04-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Yep you have the spacer wrong way around - flat side next to swing arm.
Hence wheel off centre, no clearance, bearings jammed etc etc.
Think yourself lucky - it locked the wheel
If you had used it (the wheel does not always lock up) you would have shagged the wheel bearings, and worked a nice hole into the inside of swing arm.

STIVH
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
I can vouch for the wear as only a few threads ago I had this

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21840

jerry
04-04-2007, 11:50 PM
I will check it on saturday , I swear i checked how the spacer came out and I have had this wheel out 3 times before so maybe I had brainfade,
thanks guys , its lucky i am cautious i would not ride it until i had solved the problem as the wheel being tight is a wrongun.
i will report to u later.

jerry

Gadget
05-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Check your paddock stand isn't caught on something. I've had that happen.

jerry
07-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I dont use a paddock stand , and its all OK now , turned the spacer round and wheel spun free and easy, took the bike for a ride and the new Metzler ME4 is excellent.
also fitted the 14T sprocket what a difference , much nicer round town , and no loss of top end speed.

slob
07-04-2007, 05:27 PM
...14T sprocket... and no loss of top end speed.

??????????

jerry
08-04-2007, 04:23 AM
Slob ...with the origonal 15t sprocket top speed was about 120mph but bike never reached maximum revs , now with 14t sprocket top speed is still 120mph but at higher revs, low speed running , tractability are all much smoother. so benefits all round.