PDA

View Full Version : Creaky rear end

banditloon
04-04-2007, 11:44 AM
and not only when I'm in my leathers :chuckle:

The rear shock, hoop oogymaflip thing is creaking like mad. Ray and Marcus at Rosso Corse were impressed with the creakiness of my old '93 Monster. The rear shock is fine, apart from a bit flakey (in the paint type of way), but the big wishbone dooda is making the creaky noise. How easy is it to get the bloody thing apart and check for wear or re-grease as I'm looking at having loads of spare time over Easter now... Damn eye grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....:hissy:

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
You're looking at having loads of spare time... tee hee.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I know exactly how you feel mate. Not being able to make the easter weekend is killing me :P I'm sitting here writing this at home on my time off work and the weather is bright and sunny. Bike is in the garage but I should be out there riding her :hissy: 2 weeks of time off and cant ride ride. Argh :P

At least your bike has given you something to do. im just trying to make up jobs as I go along... OOps. Snap. That tea tray wasn't like that before.....

banditloon
04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
You're looking at having loads of spare time... tee hee.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

My GP even said "I should keep an eye on it" :rolleyes:

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Thats good advice. Eye would.

As a youngster, I was assured that certain activities would make you go blind. I always wondered how that worked....

Kato
04-04-2007, 01:10 PM
EYE see that this could get very silly:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

banditloon
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Doesn't help when your a photographer though, and I don't think race bike pictures are the ones my mum tells me, would make me go blind :chuckle:

banditloon
04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
This isn't helping my creaky rear end problem though :chuckle:

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think race bike pictures are the ones my mum tells me, would make me go blind

Oh, you must mean the ones with young adults of a certain age. Quite.

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 01:27 PM
This isn't helping my creaky rear end problem though

Errr...

Its passing the time :) I have two weeks to kill here :P plus Im grinning instead of throwing my toys out of the cot..so its obviously a productive use of time.

Regarding squeaking hoojamaflips. I have just waltzed into the garage and had a squiffy at the hoop wishbone thingy and if yours is anything like mine, there is a pivotal point, probably with a bush inside, where the wishbone bolts through that alloy arm that attaches to the top of the shock.

That alloy arm also has a pivot point in its middle, also probably with a bush inside, and my initial thought is that it is either one of these two bushes that needs regreasing.

As for taking it apart, my 30 second obvservation led me to thinking that there are two bolts at the base of the wishbone, linking it to the swingarm. then the two bolts that holding the wishbone to the alloy arm. then the two bolts, which I believe may be accessed by removing the saddle. It looks like the bolts are relatively easy to remove, and thus you *should* be able to have a look inside the pivot points to clean / regrease (/ fit new bushes?). I hasten to add I havent done this before, although it doesnt appear too complicated. I reckon you have it done in a couple of hours?

katana
04-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Replace the rodends. the regrease everything.

banditloon
04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
If I'm not back on here by Christmas 2007, can someone come and rescue me from my garage and the hoop oogymaflip :chuckle:

Nothing like waisting time at work ;) :chuckle:

CK & AK
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
A creaking back end can be the loop arm suspension bolts/bushes - they do this when they havent been looked after & need tlc, or need replacing due to general wear & tear.

Please get them checked asap - I've seen 2 monsters collapse due to these bolts shearing off - and one of the riders had heard the creaking sound for over a month of riding prior to this :eek:

C

banditloon
04-04-2007, 03:14 PM
A creaking back end can be the loop arm suspension bolts/bushes - they do this when they havent been looked after & need tlc, or need replacing due to general wear & tear.

Please get them checked asap - I've seen 2 monsters collapse due to these bolts shearing off - and one of the riders had heard the creaking sound for over a month of riding prior to this :eek:

C

Only started since I've been taking the pillion on the back, which is about 2 weeks now. Grease monkey time tonight then :D

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 03:17 PM
*Loop Arm*

Thats what I meant by the alloy bit that joins the shock to the wishbone! *writes name in notebook for future reference*

I've seen 2 monsters collapse due to these bolts shearing off

Im tempted to say that it might look quite funky careering down the road with your saddle on the ground and arms way in the air lowrider stylee :P

But then this is potentially serious issue, so it wouldn't be appropriate :D

banditloon
04-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Im tempted to say that it might look quite funky careering down the road with your saddle on the ground and arms way in the air lowrider stylee :P

But then this is potentially serious issue, so it wouldn't be appropriate :D

I've had 8 years of that already. It's called owning a Suzuki Bandit :chuckle:

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I've had 8 years of that already. It's called owning a Suzuki Bandit

SSShhhhh.. I heard there was a guy on here who runs a Suzuki forum..He might be offended :) ;)

banditloon
04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah.. Thats me :chuckle: [plug mode] Bandit & SV forum [end plug mode] :chuckle: :chuckle:

**Is it still in my profile?? :chuckle:

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah.. Thats me

What a coincedence?

Oh the power of boredom, nosiness and myspace combined :D

banditloon
04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
What a coincedence?

Oh the power of boredom, nosiness and myspace combined :D

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Can't knock the Blandit. Worth more now than just being used as a winter hack.. Maybe an autumn hack too :chuckle:

banditloon
04-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Creaky rear end has stopped! Which is strange. Typical, bought some grease all ready to strip down the loop and bits and bobs and the creak disappears. Still this can still be a job for Friday :thumbsup:

Chaos
04-04-2007, 05:54 PM
eye still bad and creaky rear end huh!!!!! and theres me being selfish wantin ya to come out and play, will buy u some funky wrap around shades lol u know the ones!!!! that went out in the 80's but old bikers still think they are cool, that shud do the trick, as fer the creaky rear end, wot else is new hehehe

crust
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Creaky rear end has stopped! Which is strange. Typical, bought some grease all ready to strip down the loop and bits and bobs and the creak disappears. Still this can still be a job for Friday :thumbsup:

Even more reason not to ride it, maybe the rod end has snapped :eek:

A couple of axle stands under the footrest holders

two bolts and the cans are off - perfect excuse to clean them properly

two bolts and the loop arm is loose and the rod ends can be unscrewed

TIP: Get down to your local mountain bike shop and buy a grease gun like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=12126

This will fit on the little grease nipples on the rod ends and make greasing them a breeze.

Three bolts and the rocker arm is off

grease that

Replace bolts, jobs a good'un

A couple of hours/two cans

:)Crust

gary tompkins
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
As others have said...

Don't FFS ride a monster with a creaking rear end. The Rod ends eventually will shear off the hoop and collapse the rear suspension. Gadget had both rod ends let go after they had seized on his 600 a while back, luckily the bike was in a staight line and manage to pull up (seat rails resting on hugger) as he left Blackwall tunnel. The results of the same while flat out on a bend would be nasty. Don't take the p#ss - get them sorted ASAP

If they are dodgy, worn or badly seized just replace them. The cost less than a tenner each from bearing stockists like BSL. It would be a good idea to strip & grease all the rocker pivots at the same time, as these could be in a bad way too if neglected.

banditloon
05-04-2007, 04:05 PM
:thumbsup: Work for tonight and tomorrow in the sunshine then :D Lots of Peek polish, grease and more shiny tools bought today!

banditloon
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Actually, the last time I had replaced and cleaned up the rear suspension unit on a motorcycle. I decided axle stands are for whimps and used a CAT 3 tonne forklift! :chuckle:

banditloon
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
An evenings work complete. Non creaky back end now :thumbsup: Cheer guys :D :spin:

spacemonkey
08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Food for thought..

When I did mine a few months back, BSL showed me the rod end rose joints they sell for a fraction of the cost that Ducati rip us off for, and also some sealed maintenance free ones too. These were cheaper, less long term hassle, and the stats showed they were even stronger in every manner. Sorted...

zxebeast
18-04-2007, 01:42 PM
banditloon i have been encouraged by your thread to do the same maintenance.

however i need the parts first!!

i got an 750 and i assume the parts are the same for all pre 1999 (?) monsters.

can anyone help with the dimensions and quantity of bushes and bolts to be replaced??

as gary says will try and get the bearings from BSL

cheers for your help!

gremlin
18-04-2007, 08:41 PM
one thing to bear in mind is that the bolts through the rose joint can seize.#would suggest flooding the area with some penetrating oil and leave over night before attempting to knock the securing bolt through the swingarm mountings with a suitable punch,

zxebeast
18-04-2007, 10:12 PM
cheers gremlin. yeah i have lubricated all the joints to prevent seizure and help with possible disassembly.

just been lookin thru the haynes book of lies. the diagram says theres 2 needle roller bearings and 1 spacer in the middle joint and rear joint of the linkage arm. also it says theres 1 ball joint at each end of the hoop connectin to the swingarm. thats clear.

now what are the bits that let go in those breakdown incidents. i.e. which bits should i be lookin and buyin and possibly replacin? the ball joints, the needle bearings or the bolts?

gremlin
18-04-2007, 10:33 PM
i have read through the thread again, it sounds like there are two seperate stories going on.:idea: i am talking about the rod ends that connect the hoop to the swing arm, i think overs are saying the top rocker seizing can cause the bolts to fail (or possibly the ones through the swing arm)
take the seat and tank off and strip the lot down is my advice, that way your covered. it doesnt take long

katana
18-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Food for thought..

When I did mine a few months back, BSL showed me the rod end rose joints they sell for a fraction of the cost that Ducati rip us off for, and also some sealed maintenance free ones too. These were cheaper, less long term hassle, and the stats showed they were even stronger in every manner. Sorted...

What was the part number?

crust
19-04-2007, 07:02 PM
The most common part to fail is the threaded portion of the rod end.

As the suspension moves up and down the angle of the hoop changes in relation to the swinging arm, the rod end bearing accomodates this change.

As the bearing runs dry it exerts more of a bending force on the rod end/hoop.

The weakest point is the threaded portion of the rod end and the flexing causes it to crack and break.

At the same time the rod end will pivot on the bolt that holds it to the swinging arm wearing that.

These bolts are subject to a lot of shear forces, I've had one go, its worth replacing them from time to time.

:)Crust

zxebeast
20-04-2007, 06:24 PM
thanks gremlin and crust :mand:

i will get lookin for the parts tomorrow then change the bolts and rod ends. me thinks the link arm needle bearings will have 2 wait

spacemonkey
02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
What was the part number?

No idea... there's not much choice in the catalogue though, so shouldn't be too hard to find.