PDA

View Full Version : Failed my test :(

Pegleg Pete
03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Went for my Practical today and failed, with perhaps the stupidest thing ever!

Turning left onto a 40mph dual lane, with the nearest lane a bus lane, I didnt cross the bus lane onto the other side 'quickly enough' ie I didnt go straight across it onto the other side which technically meant I wasnt following road markings :( Otherwise had a completely clean sheet, breezed my u-turn which was the one thing sh*tting me up and didn't even realise I had made this error until we got back. Was even grinning when we arrived thinking I'd totally nailed it and he says "sorry...but Im afraid..." you know the rest.

How gutted am I! Got another test booked for the 17th april which is now going to drag...Reminds me of being 10 and waiting for christmas. Got my new M600 tucked up in the garage and I stood and looked at it today when I got back feeling pretty sorry for myself!! :P

Also not going to be able to come to the Easter weekend which rubs it in a bit!!

To stop me even thinking of jumping on the bike in the meantime, I have decided to tackle a wee bit of corrosion around the engine casing where the grey paint is flaking a bit. Has anyone had any luck stripping and repainting this and got any tips for doing the job?

Apart from having a service and the belts done already, are there any other jobs that people would recommend doing while the bike isnt being ridden for the next 2 weeks?

Bike is 2001 with 8200 miles on the clock. Cleaning the clutch plates, stripping the forks etc etc basically I would like to sort anything that might need sorting after 8000 ish miles that people think might be worth doing while I have the chance :)

Pete

Scotty
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
ahh unlucky still you al know for next time
errm 'fun' things to do while you wait

if you were going to to replace some of the bolts for stainless thats cheap ish and kidna theraputic :?

Pegleg Pete
03-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Scotty :P

Fun things to do while I wait? Exactly!!...

Bl**dy bugg*ring b*llocks!!

Going to have a look at the bolts tomorrow ..good idea :) Are there any particular ones which are made of chocolate, and will cause problems later during normal servicing if left for too long? would rather change them now so a job is easier later.

gremlin
03-04-2007, 08:56 PM
change the lot :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
obviously dont forget to loctite important ones, and be careful tightening as the wont torque up, they just snap :banghead: :banghead:
also if changing any bolt to stainless that screw into ally you must seal threads to stop them fusing and snapping when you want to take them out. use copper slip on engine casings, loctite on brake disks...... you have been warned:mand: :mand:

Scotty
03-04-2007, 09:50 PM
id shy away from the break type bolts
Ti only i gather = much o £

and like gremlin says lube up ;)

Albie
03-04-2007, 09:58 PM
bad luck. Its a real pain I bet but next time you will im sure.:banghead: :banghead:

gremlin
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Well at least you've had some practice, you'll know what to expect. Still a bummer though! At least it gives you time to prep the bike and get to know all its little foibles.

bad-yeti
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry to hear that mate, thats a bad way to not pass :(

Like others have said, better luck next time, get it booked the sun is rising :)

edit:hissy:

banditloon
03-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Bugger :thumbsdown:

Good luck with the re-test :thumbsup:

yeharrr
04-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Sorry about the test.
Does your bike have the ducati imobiliser? If not, you could have a play on ebay. Try too pick up a good one for no money and while away a bit of time fitting it. If you want to spend a bit more time on the bike, get one that has no fitting instructions and have a play with a multi meter!!

Pegleg Pete
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
get one that has no fitting instructions and have a play with a multi meter!!

What a great idea!! I wonder what the resistance of the *insert random part of bike here* is :)

This has prompted me to start a new thread, purely for scientific research. Oh, and so I see exactly how anal retentive you all are :)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21862

Sqwifeve
04-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear your news Pete. I dropped mine, so your mistake wasn't so bad. I also had a bike waiting for me. But I got there in the end as you will.

Bodybag
04-04-2007, 10:40 PM
This time last yer I was banging my head and about to take test number 3 of the month!! Turn in the road got me the first 2 attempts. It makes it all the more sweet when you do pass though. Good luck mate and hope to see you out and about soon.

Phil

gremlin
04-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm beginning to feel a bit better about doing mine now! At least I won't feel like I'm the only person ever to fail if I do. At least being female a flutter of the lashes etc may help but I don't hold out much hope!! At least the examiner may help to pick the bike up when I drop it.