PDA

View Full Version : Long-haul commuting to London

Mostro69
03-04-2007, 01:10 PM
I took the long way home from Canary Wharf to Richmond last night, i.e. via Tunbridge Wells. It was quite a good ride, avg 75mph, clear weather, clear roads, CW to TW in 45mins.

Why? Because having a bike now gives me the freedom to live > 10mins walk from a train/tube station, which opens up a whole new world in countryside-Kent/Surrey/Sussex etc. if I'm willing to ride up to an hour a day each way.

So if you are a long-haul commuter from the country/burbs to the city, on a Monster, I'd like to hear of your experience, good and bad.

Scotty
03-04-2007, 06:09 PM
humm i used to do a 40 mile commute to barney (which is near the real Richmond ;) ) however being i nthe proper part of the country it was all 'cross country' as such its was ace appart from the cost - petrol use was about the same as me car, but tyre ware and service cost is a bit more (obviously) also i was in a lift share i na car so split petrol cost 4 ways at one point which was cheap (though later on there was a disagreement about my driving and they wouldnt get back in the car with me driving) also bad is rain and cold ( i should get some better kit)

good is the filtering to the front of traffic lights (though it has to be said i find this a questionable (for my safty) manouver and would rather aviod congested routes all together)

also good is the time taken well maybe taking the cross country route and having to get changed at each end and get bike out and put it away realy doesnt make it much faster but id still rather take the bike

slob
03-04-2007, 07:59 PM
So if you are a long-haul commuter from the country/burbs to the city, on a Monster, I'd like to hear of your experience, good and bad.

You want to talk to Bodybag who used to commute from Leicester to London on his S4 or Runningman who had to sell his S4 and buy a BMW because the servicing costs where just getting astronomical on a 4V Duc.

Mostro69
04-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks fellas!

banditloon
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I used to commute to work from Walton on Thames to Walton on Thames on my old ZX6r. A 2 mile journey which should take me about 20 minutes to walk used to take 2 hours of blatting either from Walton up to London. Grab breakfast at McD's either at Canary Wharf or Leicester Square, then bimble out on the A24, down to Box Hill, have a cup of coffee then blat back to Sainsburys in Walton.

Oh the joys of owing a bike and working the early shifts at Sainsburys :chuckle:

Now I just get the joys of either the A4/M4 from Chelsea to Hayes or the boring roads from Walton to Hayes everyday. When the warmer mornings arrive I'll be up for the 'longer' trips to work :thumbsup: