PDA

View Full Version : 95 Monster (600) Rear Wheel Axle wear problem.

STIVH
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Has anyone had a problem with the rear near side outer washer that sits on the bearing circlip on the rear wheel. It sits over the bearing and acts as a spacer onto the swing arm.

Reason for asking is that mine has for some reason spun in situ and worn into the circlip and also caused the sprocket nuts to come in contact with the swing arm. No major Damage thankfully.

I have just had the rear wheel off to replace a tyre valve and everything went back on sitting / fitting snug and tight but something obviously has gone awry to cause this.

Any idea folks? Have I over tightened or is it just wear and tear that I missed out spotting earlier and have accelerated when sorting valve out?

Bearings are okay as is the cush drives etc.

So is there anything you folk can suggest - my own reference is the Ducati Dealer Service Manual and I can't see that I have done anything out of the order.

(Can I also just put big tick towards Daytona in Ruislip as they promised the replacements delivered to me by the weekend --- yippee!!! My fingers shall remain crossed though??)

Shandy
03-04-2007, 12:37 PM
I know this might sound silly but have you got the washer the right way round??

The domed side should face inwards and rest on the inner part of the bearings in the sprocket carrier with the flat part against the swingarm. This way round the spacer should not be able to come intocontact with the circlip at all. My spanner man says hes seen it in the wrong way a few times from tyre changes and services by others.

Zimbo
03-04-2007, 12:49 PM
What Shandy said, sounds like it could be the wrong way round. This also causes the rear wheel to bind - possible cause of wear???

squiffything
03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
.....My spanner man says ........

Oi did you really just say that? Oh the truth is out now, you just went ahead and won the lottery paid some impoverished grease monkey to rebuild your bike and then just claimed all the glory for yourself didn't you? Go on admit it fess up.

Sorry Steve didn't mean to interupt but couldn't resist, hope you get it sorted just don't ask moneybags there cos he'd only ask his spanner man and claim even more glory.

:)

Shandy
03-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Oi did you really just say that? Oh the truth is out now, you just went ahead and won the lottery paid some impoverished grease monkey to rebuild your bike and then just claimed all the glory for yourself didn't you? Go on admit it fess up.

Sorry Steve didn't mean to interupt but couldn't resist, hope you get it sorted just don't ask moneybags there cos he'd only ask his spanner man and claim even more glory.

:)

Cheeky begger :chuckle: :chuckle:

Its my spanner man at Louigimoto who ive been driving nuts phoning him with loads of silly questions about where bits went that i couldn't remember taking off the bike!!!!

Gilps
03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Cheeky begger :chuckle: :chuckle:

Its my spanner man at Louigimoto who ive been driving nuts phoning him with loads of silly questions about where bits went that i couldn't remember taking off the bike!!!!

The next time you talk to your spanner man, ask him if he ever got that rear wheel spacer the wrong way round when refitting the rear wheel onto a 600ss in Spain.:look:

STIVH
03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Finally got my daughter to drag herself away from the computer

Oh dear, yes the washer had been placed in the wrong way around and to be honest I wouldn't of noticed it until it was worn down as it actually looked like it was a snug fit before it started to wear away.

However this was done when the tyre was last changed at the tyre fitters (460miles ago) as I took the wheel off this time and made pretty drawings and remembered to snap a few piccies with the moby before it all came away in situ.

So now I am going to have to decide whether I mention it or not as they also do my MOT and seeing's as I have already griped about the leaking tyre valve and refused their kind offer of £20.00 to replace it, looks like I might just keep this to myself until after my next MOT.

Could also be the reason for my slight wobble over 50mph as the rear wheel would of been mis-aligned by about 7mm ????? I have also now got an excellent excuse for those bends I misjudged the other week.

Many thanks folks much appreciated.

"Oh to be posh and rich enough to have my own spanner man" !!!!

STIVH
07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
:Furious: SCRUB THAT BIG TICK FOR DAYTONAS OF RUISLIP GOT HOME TONIGHT READY TO REBUILD THE WHEEL AND NO BLEEDING PARTS HAVE ARRIVED DESPITE MY EXPRESS POSTAGE BEFORE THE WEEKEND WITH THEIR PROMISE IT WOULD ARRIVE AND NOT EVEN A TELEPHONE MESSAGE LEFT AS TO A REASON WHY NOT.

USELESS BUNCH OF TOSSERS HAVE RUINED MY WEEKEND:twak: :nash: :nash:

jerry
08-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Dirrrrrr! it put that spacer in wrong way round last week also but did not ride the bike , i was lucky ... brainfade and ignorance .. Doh!
read my thread ,