PDA

View Full Version : The wife's coming round to the Monster,

J.P
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Can you believe my amazement last night when the wife says to me.
"Do you think you'll feel confident enough after your weekender and trackday to take me pillion?" This from a woman who said "hell would freeze over before I get on that".

She's started to get a bit itchy about going to buy some leathers & lid, now the sun has started to shine. Or maybe she wants to spend more time with me, as I'm disappearing for hours on end at the weekend...

squiffything
03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh no this is gonna cost ya. First it'll be leathers and a new lid then a second set and some designer boots then she'll wanna take her test then she'll want her own monster then the upgrade to hers to make it better than yours.....

I can see another monster lady in the making. You do know how addictive these bikes are.

J.P
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Well yes I do, but as you say, even I am amazed about the extra amount of dosh the bike's cost me. Now double that, shsshhh.

squiffything
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
women you can't live with em, you can't shoot em...

bad-yeti
03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Oh no this is gonna cost ya. First it'll be leathers and a new lid then a second set and some designer boots then she'll wanna take her test then she'll want her own monster then the upgrade to hers to make it better than yours.....

I can see another monster lady in the making. You do know how addictive these bikes are.

Oh so very true there buddy.

Gilps
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
This all sounds very familiar. First off it was "you must be mad". Then she saw less and less of me and really liked my Monster. Then she took her test, only the restricted one. Then she had to have a brand new Hornet 600 in pearly giryl white. Restriced to 33 bhp of course. It's done 1800 miles in two years. I took it to have the restriction removed last September as her 2 years were up. She then rode it for 10 miles, so it's done about 25 miles de-restricted.
Then we split up. It's now sat in my conservatory waiting for spring so I can sell it for her.
She's got a couple of really nice jackets. She had some Draggin Jeans tailor made for her in pinky camo combat stylee, nice boots, stylish helmet, several pairs of gloves, waterproofs which have never been wet, textile trousers, etc.
You've got to laugh really. No honestly, you have to.
I must say she does look really good on the bike.

Chris & Nean
03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
:on: i just repeated for my wife, your story about you woman and her hornet Gilps, and you 2 spliting, she said how much does he want for the hornet :on:

Gilps
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
:on: i just repeated for my wife, your story about you woman and her hornet Gilps, and you 2 spliting, she said how much does he want for the hornet :on:

Heehee. It's contagious innit. I've no idea what its worth. We paid £5k for it 2.5 years ago, with the alarm fitted. All I know is she's going to spend the money on a hot tub.:chuckle: Go figure that out.
It's a lovely looking bike, if you like that sort of thing. I can see why they sell so many, and dead easy to ride. But it's not a Duke. Get your wife a 600 Monster then you'll never want to leave her. That's where I went wrong. At least I could have turned a 600 monster into a DD bike to race on.

SazzaG
03-04-2007, 11:35 AM
It's a slippery slope!

I started off as a pillion on Rog's R6. 4 years later, I've got two bikes of my own!

Saz

sadbiker
03-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Yep same here... started off as pillion and then got her own bike... Oh those days of a warm back on cold winter rides.......

Mrs Soup
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
This works both ways guys - Hubby and I took our tests within months of eachother many, many years ago.

First Ducati arrived about 10 years ago, and I was the first with a monster when the superlight got upgraded to a 748. I'm now on my second monster and he's between bikes at the mo, but the next will be - surprise surprise - a monster!!!!!

Sqwifeve
03-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Yep, me too. Steve suddenly announced he wanted to take a motorbike test while I was away on a charity cycling ride in Africa. He met me at the airport saying he'd passed and was buying a Goldwing! After being pillion and constantly hassling him to go out, I decided to at least try and get a 125. Thought that would be enough:cool: .

Meanwhile he got a second bike, Honda Transalp. I started getting the idea of a bigger bike and was advised to stick with a restricted one, which I ignored. I found it hard to pass my test with these little legs but eventually passed and was ready for the VFR400 that I'd bought in anticipation. Then the ER5 was bought for a workhorse. Steve's now sold his other two bikes and moved over to the dark side. All I need now is my little monster and I'll be happy:bunny: . Well, until the accessories start calling. Steve said he created a monster when he decided to take his test :chuckle: .

kathb
03-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I started off as a pillion on my partners bike too. I loved it so much I decided to learn and after looking around and talking to loads of people decided that the monster was the right first bike for me (even if it has had to be restricted). I'm a shorty and am thinking about getting the seat lowered. Anyone got any advice on the subject?

DukeChick620
03-04-2007, 07:57 PM
same here i started off as a pillion on my husbands aprillia rs125 then he upgraded to a sv650s and i was hooked!!!! unfortunately my old bike (cbr 400rr) ruined my confidence cos it kept breaking on me, but my monster now is wicked even though i haven't riden it yet due to work but hey sunny weather is on its way. as for lowering the seat take the leather off that is what i have done and shave it with a kitchen knife and then sand it down. oh yeah kathb where did you get your bike restricted.
My bike is called duchess as well it just fitted perfectly from the first time i saw her!!!!

Albie
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
NOT SAYING NOTHING:cens: :mand: :mand: