PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone :o)

Pegleg Pete
28-03-2007, 10:03 PM
My name is Pete!

As soon as I discovered I was expecting, I joined your lovely forum in anticipation!

My 2001 M600 Dark arrives this weekend!!! Woooooooooo.

I live in Hampshire, about 7 miles from Alton so I would love to hear from anyone in the area.

I'm only just doing my DAS this week, with my fingers crossed for Tuesday 3rd April when I have my test. If anyone else feels like crossing their fingers, or anything else, for me please feel free :D

And just so you know :P

As a kid I always loved cars - the classic sports and 80's wet dreams. I didn't even consider wanting a bike until I saw a Ducati Monster pull up outside the Barley Mow Pub in Tilford in 1995 when I was 15. It was the only bike I have ever wanted, although I can appreciate other bikes. I'm not sure what it is about them that appeal to me so much, and it wasnt until a few months ago that I put two and two together, and equalled me buying one. I always looked longingly on when I saw and heard them, but never imagining that I would ever ride one. So when I put a deposit down on my Monster at the beginning of the month, I did it without even having ever sat on one. I already know that I have made the right decision, and so my exctiement builds as the weekend approaches far too slowly!

Did I already say woooohooo? :D

Oh, and just for the record, I've never used a piglet before so for my first ever post, I shall use one. Just because :piglet:

walkingpictures
28-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the asylum Pete :chuckle: you'll find a great bunch of people on here and I know there are a lot of Monster owners down your neck of the woods,they will get in touch with you for sure.

Regards from Kimbo in Cambridge :drunk:

singletrack
28-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Pete - welcome.
You can't live very far from me - 4 miles west of Alton!
Good Luck with your DAS - where are you doing that?
Fingers crossed for next Tuesday.

Anne x

Pegleg Pete
28-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for saying hello so quickly Kimbo and Anne :) I've noticed everyone here sounds really friendly which is so nice because I hope to make some new buddies whilst enjoying being out and about because none of my closest friends ride!

I dont live far from you Anne! Takes me all of 7 minutes to get into Alton from the other side of Kingsley. Doing my test in Farnborough and heading over there tomorrow on a Kawasaki ER500 to do a bit of practice! :P

Pedro
28-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Hola!

Also here in hants, down by the coast (ish)! Look forward to seeing you about, keep an eye on Hants section for ride out info!

Ped

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Ped,

Thanks :P I'll definately be looking for a hampshire gathering asap. Hope to meet you there and anyone else :)

CK & AK
29-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Good luck for your test Pete

Hope you are sucessful - cos then you can meet up with the other monsterers in your patch for the ride to Goodwood on Sunday :D - you'd really get to know your bike by the time you got home!

All the best,

Charlotte from Woking :)

yeharrr
29-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Pete, Good luck and fingers crossed. I have just bought a Monster. Went out to buy something else, but saw a nice one and ended up buying that. I am no stranger to bikes and have had all sorts from crossers to super sports to Harley to V. max. I am already finding the Monster great fun! And I am sure you will too. I don't live anywhere near you, so no joy there, but I think there are quite a few who do. Hope to see you about on the forum.
Enjoy :thumbsup:
Jamie (YEHARRR)

johnnystorm
29-03-2007, 03:50 PM
What impeccable taste in motorcycles you have! :)

Netty
29-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Good luck with your test :thumbsup:

Netty

gremlin
29-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Good luck on DAS, got mine soon too, ER5s seem to be the bike everyone uses! Don't know about the one you're using, but mine isn't as comfy as my monnie, and it's heavier. You'll sail through with the incentive of a monster at the end of it. All those summer ride outs with the chaps and chappesses from here will be enough to get you going.

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Still more lovely welcomings - Aren't you all just the friendliest bunch of Monsterereres!

Thanks for your support for the test. Im actually looking forward to it :)

The Kawasaki ER500 that I'm on isn't too bad, but I think you are right in saying that its a tad heavier than the m600. Its easy enough to handle though. I was out yesterday in the most glorious springy sunshine and was far too hot in all my leathers, whereas today it rained nearly all day and the windchill was farkin ridiculous so I shivered my way around Farnborough! Still good fun and the heated grips saved me from forgettting how to use my fingers, and stopping in tesco's for a steaming cup of (strangely grey coloured) Tea and a plate of Sausages, Chips and Beans definately helped :P

Unfortunately my test isn't until Tuesday 3rd so wont be able to join this weekends jaunt to Goodwood :( I wish you hadnt have mentioned that Charlotte!! Now I'm truly gutted as I cancelled my test this Friday to give me a bit more time to prepare, and that would have been such a brilliant first days outing. Grrrr :P

Incidentally, how do I change my location to something other than Smegsville?! Ive looked all through my profile thingy but I cant see it anywhere. And can everyone see my pic apart from me? Im sure I uploaded it properly.....

Anyone else in Hampshire around during the evenings next week to go for a ride? Provided I pass of course :)

slob
29-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Incidentally, how do I change my location to something other than Smegsville?! Ive looked all through my profile thingy but I cant see it anywhere.

You'll have to PM a rep or Fatbloke and request the change, I believe it's locked because people kept putting in mickey locations, like... erm "Smegsville".

ps. No, can't see your avatar.

slob
29-03-2007, 07:11 PM
oh, and welcome to the club Pete.

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks Rob for your help.

And for welcoming me :P

JohnF
29-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi Pete,

I used to live up in Farnborough and did my DAS in Aldershot quite a few years ago.
There's usually a bike met at Alton train station on a Wednesday (I think) evening during the summer.
Hope you can make it for Goodwood this weekend.

I'm sure there'll be a few of out during the weekday evening now the nights are pulling out.

See you about.

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi John,

Do you ever go up to the meet in Alton, or does anyone else here for that matter? It would be great to be able to bump into a few friendly faces, otherwise I will feel like a bit of a 'billy no mates' ! :P You say summer, would you say people have started meeting there already, and is it just a case a case of turning up and everyone goes for a ride type thing? Do you know what time it starts etc? Sorry to ask all these questions at you!

:D

CK & AK
29-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately my test isn't until Tuesday 3rd so wont be able to join this weekends jaunt to Goodwood :( I wish you hadnt have mentioned that Charlotte!! Now I'm truly gutted as I cancelled my test this Friday to give me a bit more time to prepare, and that would have been such a brilliant first days outing. Grrrr :P

thats no problem.... there is more..... ;)

There is the 'mini-mega' meet at Box Hill on Easter Sunday (now that WILL be a good ride/meet for a newbie!) - all sorts of Ducati's from 10 - midday in the lower side car park - all from UKMOC, DSC, DOC & other non club people too:)
Last year there were about 80 who came & went in that 2 hour slot.
Followed by a rideout to a very local pub.

So - good luck with that test, get some local practice in & make your way to Box Hill on Easter Sunday & meet us all! :D

Linky here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260092339341&sspagename=ADME:L:AAQ:UK:1

scrumpster
29-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Welcome Pete from another Hampster. Hope you get great satisfaction from your two wheels and good luck with the DAS :thumbsup:

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 09:22 PM
That sounds like a great day Charlotte! And its perfect timing too - I dont really like chocolate that much and I'm sure Jesus will understand (pc?) Is there a corner where the monsters hang out? :P You'll recognise me easily - I'll be the one wearing leathers and a helmet :)

Scrumpster the Hampster on a Monster? ..... I see where you're going with this one :D

scrumpster
29-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Scrumpster the Hampster on a Monster? ..... I see where you're going with this one :D[/QUOTE]

No where at the moment, it's kaput!!! :worried:

Albie
29-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome Pete. Im in kent and a few of us going to boxhill. see you there with all the other leathers and helmets. Mines red and red/black. Charlotte loves choccy so you can give her your eggs. She will be most pleasured by them, probs Scrumpster too lol.

There is Popham meet that you could venture too. I have a work colleague who I dont think has joined yet and he bought s4r from snells last month who lives near there. A 56 s4r in red with corse stripe.

Albie

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Charlotte loves choccy so you can give her your eggs. She will be most pleasured by them..

I didn't think it was THAT kind of forum :D

Scrumpsters bike is Kaput? Was ist los? Nothing too serious I hope :)

As for Popham, that isn't too far from me so I might well head there too! When is it? I havent managed to figure out how to search for the hampshire events section yet. Any tips?!

You have reminded me of a question I had. Snells is really near to me and I popped in there today to introduce myself and ask about servicing etc Had to refrain from blowing loads of cash on presents for new bike :P Have you or anyone else had experience with them and what are they like? they seemed very friendly which was a good start! I was also looking at Moto rapido in Winchester so any help in deciding who will be taking care of my Monster in the future greatly appreciated :D

Sqwifeve
29-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi there Pete,

Another Hants bod here, and a new one too. I've just joined the forum as I've also bought a monster, although I'm having a bit of trouble actually getting it. You're not the only one who's sad at missing the Goodwood brekkie but hey, I'm trying to be a "Polly Anna" so lets move on. Once I've actually got my bike and you've passed (no crossed fingers, you be quietly confident ), I'd be up for a evening met some when.

Pegleg Pete
29-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Eve,

Mystery and Intrigue :) When do you think you might get your grubby mitts on it?

As soon as you do I'd definately be keen to meet up. heard theres a few peeps lurking along the A3 between the two of us so we could try and organise an evening in the next couple of weeks when a few people a free. The more the merrier :D Although I'm no knee dragging demon yet!

CK & AK
30-03-2007, 07:00 AM
The meet as has been mentioned above, is at Popham on the 2nd Sunday of every month (but NOT Easter Sunday) - its a DSC meet at the airfield cafe from 12.45 ish till a rideout goes to a pub on the A31 about 2pm.
Rideout is usually brisk (by UKMOC stds) but does wait at junctions for any stragglers to catch up.

Meanwhile, Easter Sunday - Box Hill is the top itmem on the agenda, best time to meet & greet, catch up with old mates and make new ones:D

C

singletrack
30-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Eve,

Mystery and Intrigue :) When do you think you might get your grubby mitts on it?

As soon as you do I'd definately be keen to meet up. heard theres a few peeps lurking along the A3 between the two of us so we could try and organise an evening in the next couple of weeks when a few people a free. The more the merrier :D Although I'm no knee dragging demon yet!

I'm all for meeting up.

Snells in Alton is a good place - very friendly, great service and knowledgeable.
Moto Rapido is also very good - I use both of them.

I bought my bike from Snells and they service it.
Hubby bought his from Moto Rapido and they service it.

I can't fault either of them - use whichever is most convenient. Don't go into either of them too often though (especially Moto Rapido)- or you will end up spending TOO much money on bits for your baby!

scrumpster
30-03-2007, 12:34 PM
I'd be up for an evening meet, can always meet you Eve and then hook up with the others as I am in Lee. I have never been to Moto Rapido, but have visited Snells on a couple of occasions - altho it's sheer fluke I find it each time!! Also I reckon a trip to Poole should be done, the bike night starts next Tuesday!

Pete, my monster is kaput but will be fixed, however I am picking up a new
S2R next Saturday, so I'm a happy :bunny:

Pegleg Pete
30-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Roight its date then :) Now all we need is a date!

Having never planned a bike meet, having never owned a bike before, I'm hoping you lot know some good places to ride and stop for a cuppa midway (or whatever it is you get up to!) I'm more than happy to fit in with whatever suits everyone best and being fairly new to biking I'm more inclined towards a civilised cruise than a twisty wristy type affair :P For now, anyway!

Evenings or weekends are good for me at the moment, so I dont know if a good way to go about organising this is for anyone to pm me their telephone numbers, which is less erratic than messaging on here to organise a small gathering?

Anne, Eve, Scrumpster etc are you all going to Box hill? Maybe we could arrange to ride up together picking more people up along the way or something. I personally think it would be nice to turn up with a few people that I 'semi' know for my first meet otherwise I wont have the vaguest idea who to start talking with!! I'll probably launch into conversation with the nearest group of people and start scaring them :D

Snells seems to be getting good feedback etc so I will probably go with them as they are so close. Thanks for your comments on this one chaps / chapesses!

Look forward to hearing from everyone

Sqwifeve
30-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Pete,

When I'll meet folk I don't know but it will happen. The latest is that the V5 for my bike is on route between the DVLA and Moto Rapido. Chris has promised to ring me tomorrow morning to say if it has arrived yet. He did say he would have offered me another bike to get to Goodwood but knows they won't fit. :(

But it will be with me soon so if anyone has dates in mind, I'll be interested. Don't worry, I'll be at the back with you as I've only been on two ride outs before and one was with a load of nutters. Not these people, I 've not met any of them yet, so I'm reserving judgement :biggrin: