PDA

View Full Version : Starting a bike left standing for a year!

DevilBoy
28-03-2007, 11:15 AM
hiya guys

I've got a bandit 600 thats been sat in my garage for over a year now. I used to start it every now and then, but I aint done it for ages!
I almost forgot it was there!!!

I need to sell it off ASAP. So Has anyone got any advice on what I need to do to get it up and running smooth again.

I am getting some new plugs, oil filter and oil, and a fuel additive. So i'll give it a mini service myself. Quite easy to do on a bandit.

Anything else?
Cheers
DB

johnnystorm
28-03-2007, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if the battery is fooked. Has it also been drained by an alarm/immob? I'd be tempted to slosh a couple of litres of fresh Optimax in there to dilute the old petrol. Do the carbs have drain plugs so you can let the old gunk out and get new petrol in?

Halfords have the battery trickle chargers on offer at 18.99 at the mo, might be a worthwhile purchase for the future! :)

Good luck!

Sparky
28-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Halfords have the battery trickle chargers on offer at 18.99 at the mo, might be a worthwhile purchase for the future! :)

If your bandit has a SLA (sealed lead acid) battery then a trickle charger may fook it even more you really need a constant voltage or multi stage charger for these.

Chris

johnnystorm
28-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Whoops! Apologies to all SLA owners out there!

banditloon
28-03-2007, 02:56 PM
hiya guys

I've got a bandit 600 thats been sat in my garage for over a year now. I used to start it every now and then, but I aint done it for ages!
I almost forgot it was there!!!

I need to sell it off ASAP. So Has anyone got any advice on what I need to do to get it up and running smooth again.

I am getting some new plugs, oil filter and oil, and a fuel additive. So i'll give it a mini service myself. Quite easy to do on a bandit.

Anything else?
Cheers
DB

Monsters & Bandits.... :chuckle: Well I'm just at the beginning of a long overdue, overhaul of my old Bandit 6 which has been laid up in my garage for over 8 months now. As you say a mini service is a pile of p**s on a Bandit. Oil, plugs, filters are fine. Battery, get a charger or spend £50 on a new battery (best option!). Clean the carbs out, get some Redex in it!! and replace the petrol in the tank (unless it was a full tank, you may get away with just cleaning the carbs and adding redex!). Double check the tyres for cracking (rubber hates doing nothing!), I know the tyres on mine have gone blue... Make sure the brakes aren't locked in place also. You may need to clean the calipers and replace all the fluid. Lube the cable (prone to go snap otherwise!). Check all the brake hoses, make sure they haven't perished.

Apart from the above, the Bandits are a forgiving little bugger of a bike. Just give it a run round the block a couple of times and the bike will be fine (no doubt :chuckle:)

If all that fails... I'll buy the wiring loom off you (if its the original Bandit curly frame model :chuckle:)

DevilBoy
28-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Cheers for that guys.

I've put an order in for a new battery (without acid, is that normal?), some plugs and oil filter, and some fuel additive stuff.
Last time I checked, the front brake was closed about half way all the time. Took me ages to drag it out of the garage!
So I might need some advice on loosening the b**gers up a bit.

I have no idea how to clean out carbs. So I was hoping to just add some clean fuel, with an additive, new battery, should start first time ( :worried: ).

let ya'll know this weekend how i get on.
Cheers
DB

banditloon
28-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Took me ages to drag it out of the garage!
So I might need some advice on loosening the b**gers up a bit.

Drop the calipers out, take out the pads, use a spanner or lump of wood, and gently prise the pistons back into the calipers. Always good to get hold of some brake cleaner too :thumbsup: Might as well clean them while they are out :D

I have no idea how to clean out carbs. So I was hoping to just add some clean fuel, with an additive, new battery, should start first time ( :worried: ).

It works on mine :thumbsup: Fully charged battery, clean plugs and put the fuel tap on Prime. Mine usually kicked into life on the second attack on the starter switch :D