PDA

View Full Version : S2R 800 performance increase/tuning??? HELP

damon
27-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I have a standard s2r 800 that at this moment in time i would love to put termi's on and hand her over to somebody to tune the hell out of, problem is that it cost more money than i have at present.

What im after is ideas from people of how to make it sound more Ducati like and run abit better.

Now i was thinking perhaps just getting rid of the cat (£180 de-cat pipe is affordable) and then perhaps having something done with the air filter (clueless) and possibly finding somebody somewhere in the country that can 'core/bore' out my standard exhaust's to make em a little louder (again clueless) ....problem is that i dont know anybody who can do the exhausts, nor do i know how to set up a bikes fuel/air settings so whatever i do all has to match pretty smoothly and hopefully not cost the earth.

all ideas welcome and theres a prize for the winner!:rolleyes:

crust
27-03-2007, 09:43 PM
My advice would be to go and have a chat with the very nice man here

http://www.cornerspeed.co.uk/

:) Crust

markus
28-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey there, I've ditched the cat with a Quat D cat eliminator (about 240 quid), but open Mivv stainless cans on, done the DP open aibox/race filter thing and stuck a power commander on it - dave woods then mapped it and.................OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's like a whole new bike! MASSIVLY QUICKER, SMOOTHER, LOUD LOUD LOUD!!!! I was seriously thinking of getting rid before and buying a 1000, now i wouldn't even consider it - it makes the perfect road bike now and revs so quickly, good torque increase too. I couldn't recoment it more!

go spend - enjoy

I've just noticed you're in Nottingham - you're more than welcome to come down and take it round the block (big block ha ha) if you wana see the difference before parting with cash.

singletrack
28-03-2007, 09:07 AM
I've done the same - termis, open airbox and Ducati Performance filter, cat eliminator and power commander - fantastic results but not cheap! I think you are talking at least £5-600 even without replacing the exhaust.

markus
28-03-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah thats about right i think it was about £400 for the end cans, £240 for the mid pipe, £320 for the PC and £70 for the air box, plus about £80 quid for the map - sh******T thats over £1100 quid - maybe i should of just bought the 1000 ha ha, no seriously no regrets tho!

Scotty
28-03-2007, 05:38 PM
i head a roumer (on a 800ss mind) that,if yor running open filter, lifting the tank an inch or two gives substantial gains :look:

slob
28-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I'd seriously consider trading it in for an S2R1000 if you want more performance.

damon
28-03-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd seriously consider trading it in for an S2R1000 if you want more performance.

well im afraid im buggered if thats the case, besides surely with all these guys on here claiming great performance increases with an s2r800 it may just be a waste of time.

its still looking like what ever happens its going to cost me £1000,,,,,, anybody know about the original cans being cored out?

singletrack
28-03-2007, 08:59 PM
well im afraid im buggered if thats the case, besides surely with all these guys on here claiming great performance increases with an s2r800 it may just be a waste of time.

its still looking like what ever happens its going to cost me £1000,,,,,, anybody know about the original cans being cored out?

Hubby has gt an S2R1000 and I've got an 800 with the mods you have been talking about.
They are both quick off the mark but there is not as much torque on the 800, although I would say it is a litle bit smoother than the 1000 now that it has been dynoed.
I prefer the 800 - he prefers the thousand - horses for courses.

A few people on here have cored out their cans - you are probably best doing a search on the site.

damon
28-03-2007, 09:57 PM
anybody lend me £800?

please:flamed:

markus
29-03-2007, 11:26 AM
I need a new kidney - what do ya reckon, I'm offering £799

JohnF
29-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I've gone done the same line as Singletrack, Ducati cat eliminator £250 and got a deal with Moto Rapido for open air box, DP air filter and Termi's race pipes for £600. The bike performs a lot better if rather lumpy at low revs i.e. you can't open the throttle hard below 3500 rpm other wise it shakes the bike to bit's, but it's made it more fun to ride if a bit louder (OK if you like it).
If they had the 1000cc out when I bought mine I'd probably go for the 1000cc, only another £1000 and I've spent £850 on performance upgrades on my 800cc! On the other hand that's £1000 I get to spend on my 800 on what I want!

Gilps
29-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I've gone done the same line as Singletrack, Ducati cat eliminator £250 and got a deal with Moto Rapido for open air box, DP air filter and Termi's race pipes for £600. The bike performs a lot better if rather lumpy at low revs i.e. you can't open the throttle hard below 3500 rpm other wise it shakes the bike to bit's, but it's made it more fun to ride if a bit louder (OK if you like it).
If they had the 1000cc out when I bought mine I'd probably go for the 1000cc, only another £1000 and I've spent £850 on performance upgrades on my 800cc! On the other hand that's £1000 I get to spend on my 800 on what I want!

I've also gone down the route of race Termis, cat removal, open air box. It sounds to me like you need to get the fuelling sorted. If you buy the full DP kit you should also get a new ECU which should remap the fuelling. I fitted a Power Commander as my system was from an S4r so the ECU wouldn't work, and I heard the PC is the better way to go anyway.
I borrowed an S2r 1000 from Ducati at the excellent UKMOC track day last year. The S2r 1000 has better brakes but doesn't get the APTC clutch. I would rather have the 800 with the performance mods than the 1000 without.

JohnF
29-03-2007, 08:46 PM
I've also gone down the route of race Termis, cat removal, open air box. It sounds to me like you need to get the fuelling sorted. If you buy the full DP kit you should also get a new ECU which should remap the fuelling. I fitted a Power Commander as my system was from an S4r so the ECU wouldn't work, and I heard the PC is the better way to go anyway.
I borrowed an S2r 1000 from Ducati at the excellent UKMOC track day last year. The S2r 1000 has better brakes but doesn't get the APTC clutch. I would rather have the 800 with the performance mods than the 1000 without.

Yes, forgot to say that I've also got the ECU and had the mixture sorted at Moto Rapido. Not that I'm some expert but it feels (at lower rev's) that there's too much air? It's OK as long as the motor spining. Good to get some feedback though.

Gilps
29-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, forgot to say that I've also got the ECU and had the mixture sorted at Moto Rapido. Not that I'm some expert but it feels (at lower rev's) that there's too much air? It's OK as long as the motor spining. Good to get some feedback though.

Well I put mine on a dyno, and the torque curve is flat, from 3k up to 8.5k. It pulls max torque from 3k and holds it all the way with barely any increase, just a steady rise in HP. Awesome low down grunt in any gear.

damon
29-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Well gentlemen i have now been lucky enough to find a guy who used to tune Ducati's for a living at the old Nottingham branch and now does it in his spare time, im having my original cans cored out first by his mate who makes custom exhausts for a living, adding a K&N air filter and de-cat pipe made by 'Mr exhaust' himself and then its going to get tuned up by a time served pro! I CANT WAIT......

Gilps
30-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Well gentlemen i have now been lucky enough to find a guy who used to tune Ducati's for a living at the old Nottingham branch and now does it in his spare time, im having my original cans cored out first by his mate who makes custom exhausts for a living, adding a K&N air filter and de-cat pipe made by 'Mr exhaust' himself and then its going to get tuned up by a time served pro! I CANT WAIT......

Well done. I look forward to seeing, and hearing the results.

damon
30-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Me too Gilps, best thing is i think they are both taking it on as a pet project so i really think they'll try and do the best job possible! ill keep you posted on the results my friend!

JohnF
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Well I put mine on a dyno, and the torque curve is flat, from 3k up to 8.5k. It pulls max torque from 3k and holds it all the way with barely any increase, just a steady rise in HP. Awesome low down grunt in any gear.

Hi Glips good to see you today on the ride to Goodwood. As you've got a similar engine setup to mine what sort of torque was it pulling?
I do like the performance of my 800 now, just got to have a look at the suspension mods you were telling me about, then I'll look into uprating the brakes. See you at Mallory.

Gilps
01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Glips good to see you today on the ride to Goodwood. As you've got a similar engine setup to mine what sort of torque was it pulling?
I do like the performance of my 800 now, just got to have a look at the suspension mods you were telling me about, then I'll look into uprating the brakes. See you at Mallory.

Bearing in mind mine was dyno'd at 1000 miles, but the pistons and barrels were replaced only 300 miles before that (don't ask) so it wasn't properly run in, my dyno run showed 77bhp, up from 70, and 54 pounds per foot square per newton cm3, from 3000 revs up to just short of 9000 , up from 50. The torque was almost flat without hardly a blip up or down. So that's maximum torque at 3k.
Before the mods I was getting 50 but it kicked it later and was a narrower power band. I reckon the engines loosened up a bit so I may get it done again. It does feel more pokey as the miles have gone on.

damon
03-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Im getting excited now gents, yesterday we (my mates Dad anyway) chopped up my stock s2r exhausts and got to work, after lots of dremmel work and various other circular saws of varying size's the end product looks awesome!!
2 inch (ID) perf tubing all the way down fits perfectly tight, today is the day for a tiny bit of wadding, a few aluminium rivets spaced to perfection and a little sealant here and there.

Bring on the K&N and the custom de-cat.......... ill keep you posted!

ps - how good do these things sound without the end cans on? i set off next doors car alarm happily revving the arse off it for about 5 - 10 seconds :)