PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good at setting up DVD, HDD, TV etc?

bigredduke
26-03-2007, 08:11 PM
I bought one of those hard disc/dvd recorder thingies over a month ago & still haven't used it! The problem is: I have a freeview box, the hdd/dvd & a Bose 321 home cinema jobby which has a radio, cd/dvd player etc in one unit. I've tried all sorts of scarts, and assorted leads etc and although the individual components work, I can't get them to work properly together. :scratch: The TV has 2 scart sockets & a red & a white audio socket at the back.

I am really clueless & it's all guesswork! I'm using the instruction manuals from 4 different appliances & it's utterly confusing.:dunce:

Zimbo
26-03-2007, 08:41 PM
As a guide, the freeview box and DVDR link together by scart, exactly how depends a bit on the freview box. Some have two scarts, one labelled TV and the other VCR - if so, treat the DVDR as a VCR.
If the freeviw box has only one scart output, link that to the scart input of the DVDR and then the scart out of the DVDR goes to the TV.
Sound is totally seperate - you will probably have inputs on the amp labelled TV, DVD etc. Connect the freeview box audio out to TV inputs on the amp, and the DVD audio to the DVD input. The amp has three digital inputs, 1 x optical and 2 x coaxial, use one of these to connect the DVD to the amp as the digital signal enables the amp to decode the DVD sound into 5:1 surround sound.

Headhunter
26-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Without physically seeing it's hard to say, but the basics would be:

PICTURE WISE

TV (2 scart sockets) - connect chosen DVD player and Freeview box to TV via scart leads. I would then connect HDD/DVD player to Freeview box too, if it has two scart connections? This should allow you to save Freeview programmes to Hard disc.

SOUND WISE

If your BOSE system has plenty of inputs (just like the audio sockets at the back of the TV), which I am sure it has. Use 3 sets of phono leads to independently connect TV/DVD/Freeview box to Bose system.

Not sure if that's of any use, or if this is how you've got it set up? If all else fails go to www.whathifi.com/soundadvice.asp and they should have a page or two on to set it all help with diagrams.

Others to try are:

www.richersounds.com/information/tips_homecinema

Didge
27-03-2007, 08:48 AM
http://i14.tinypic.com/2d6jwjm.jpg

KEH?!!!!!!

bod
27-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Hmm...simlar problem bought a DVD recorder quite a few years back for about £170.

Never managed to set it up correctly with the freeview,TV,Yamaha surround amp,VCR,SKY,Acram DVD player,Xbox,ETC ETC...........more scart leads and switching boxes than to shake a stick at, think PC based home media centre is the way to go!

Headhunter
27-03-2007, 08:21 PM
think PC based home media centre is the way to go!

With stuff like this out there, you're damn right!

http://www.zooweekly.co.uk/girls/archive/2006/12/22/1y27kq5pe5fmi.htm

Headhunter
27-03-2007, 08:22 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/2d6jwjm.jpg

KEH?!!!!!!

Gully, is this a pic of you back in your pawn days?!!! Sorry mate.