PDA

View Full Version : rear part of monster frame

jonno464
22-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi

I have bought a 2001 m600 monster but the person that I bought it from has cut the 2 pipes off the very rear of the frame to make it look more like a street fighter type bike, but I would like to make it original but fitting a teatray on but need to weld the frame back together.

So if anyone has cut these off and want to sell them please let me know.

thanks

jonno:tgoe:

Albie
22-03-2007, 09:37 PM
You may not need to weld it if you can get hold of a Centre lathe and a drill and tap to put a couple of grub screws through it. You just need to get some bar the inside diameter of the frame about 2" long and then when in place drill through and thread them with say a 4mm tap and bung a 4mm grubscrew through with some loctite on

jonno464
22-03-2007, 09:39 PM
thanks for your help I will try this.

Albie
22-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Unless you want to weld it. I would do this if I was too chop mine but if I do it will look like a wheelbarrow with hi level Termis LOL. Just make sure the ends are squared off nice and painted. You shouldnt see much as tray covers 80% of rear frame.:mand:

JMo
01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Jonno - I have a couple of the frame pieces you are talking about (the rest I've burnt - ha!) - the two tubes are connected with a plate between them, with 4 holes and rubber bushes in, to mount the tea-tray (although the very earliest curved tea-tray bikes had only three holes - which is yours?)

Do you have the corrisponding tea-tray? if not, I know someone who could help out with one of those (later 4 bolt type) too...

You are welcome to the frame piece, although it's quite heavy to post - a fiver should cover that though... let me know your address by PM, and I'll get it in the post x

xxx

ps. of course, you could always stop being such a fool, and get a proper chop kit - £39.99 etc etc. ahem. x)

sidrat
01-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Hi
Just cut the frame off my 600, so its yours if you want it!

Keith

gary tompkins
01-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I also have a couple of later four bolt cut ends if needed.

One thing to bear in mind...

The length of chop may vary a bit between bikes, especially when done by different owners. For example the bit left from the trike build has more tube, because I cut as much as I could without losing the seat lock. My other monster had about 10mm less chopped off when I did that.

You may need to offer up a tea-tray to check alignment before re-welding, or take measurements from a standard bike. It would be better to reinforce the joint with a bit of bar the right size forced into the end, it will also help line up the tube better before welding.