PDA

View Full Version : OK, so it's a bit random.

Nonnie
16-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I was reading something on another forum and it was about somebody remembering the Queen's Silver Jubilee party. I got to thinking OMG I remember that. I was 6 I guess and the whole street had put money into a collection fund to hold a street party. I remember sitting at a long wooden table piled up with cakes, sandwiches and other goodies and receiving a brown and white commemoration mug and a large coin. I can even remember the truly awful 70's dress I was wearing. It was green and frilly with white and green smocking.

All the memories came flooding back. Anybody else remember that day?

JR
16-03-2007, 07:34 PM
I can remember the Queens Coronation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEek And i was 6 or 7 !!!!!!!! time stands still for no-one! Same deal, street parties for us urchins - corned beef butties! jam sarnies - pickled rat!

benson
16-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh my giddy aunt - I'll go to the foot of our stairs!! Oh yes indeed - me and my Mum went and were part of the crowd as old queenie drove past in her dead posh car along the A6 in Hazel Grove near Stockport... I was 9 - I remember it really clearly including the enormous fashion blunder I too was sporting!!!

Pedro
16-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Oh my god......

that was a day to forget. Being about 8 years old, I had little say in the days dress code and my dear ol' ma, in her wisdom, chose some god awful velour jumper in lime green for me to wear.... it's a wonder I wasn't scarred for life....

Having said that, strangly I own no green clothes now....

Very randon thread, very nonnie...!

Hehehe

CK & AK
16-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh my god......

that was a day to forget. Being about 8 years old, I had little say in the days dress code and my dear ol' ma, in her wisdom, chose some god awful velour jumper in lime green for me to wear.... it's a wonder I wasn't scarred for life....

Having said that, strangly I own no green clothes now....

Very randon thread, very nonnie...!

Hehehe

this post is no good without pictures:D

Pedro
16-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Never gonna happen.....

banditloon
16-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I can just about remember the Queens Golden Jubilee in 2002. I got kidnapped by the WI in Wotton! Teach me to go and see my aunt and uncle 2 days before Snetterton BSB meeting :chuckle:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/banditloon/Monster%20OC/kidnapped.jpg

Eeeeeek photographic proof... :D Yes thats me, the little alien... :chuckle:

slob
16-03-2007, 09:15 PM
We lived on a hill and they shut the street off, which meant we could skateboard all the way down at mental speed without fear of being t-boned by cars. Also someone organised a cricket match down the park, odd numbers against evens, which became an annual event for some years afterwards.

emily's driver
16-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I remember Robert McDougall explaining decimalization on the nine o clock news in 1970 (I was 5 and easily amused) but I dont remember much of the Jubilee. Green frilly dress you say?

abbeyalto
16-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I think I spent the Silver Jubilee dressed as a tree...

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Egg and spoon race. Jam tarts. Warm lemonade The smell of fresh cut grass. Nylon action man t-shirt. Brown shorts. Plastic Union Flags on plastic straws. Bunting, oh the bunting, it was everywhere. My brothers national health glasses with a plaster holding one arm on. My dad not being there as he was bobbing about on HMS Blake in the Solent as part of the RN review. Happy days.

Can't remember anything about the 2002 jubilee other than I was back in Gosport for the weekend (purely by coincidence) and visited the Sea Power display at Portsmouth Naval Base.

slob
17-03-2007, 02:44 AM
I think I spent the Silver Jubilee dressed as a tree...

I didn't know you used to be in the SAS Benjy, you don't look old enough.

gremlin
17-03-2007, 04:58 AM
We went to Ardingly to the Hackney horse society show and every town or village the whole way was lined with bunting, it was amazing. There weren't enough people in our village under 80 to have a street party. Still got one of those big coins somewhere that we all got. The school went a bit mad. I was 15 so it was uncool to get excited!

Nonnie
17-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Green frilly dress you say?

ooooh beehave

p.s. See you later. It's been ages!

emily's driver
17-03-2007, 07:55 AM
ooooh beehave

p.s. See you later. It's been ages!

Naturellement Mademoiselle! A bientot.

benson
17-03-2007, 08:24 AM
zut alors - true lurve on a rondam thread!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nonnie
17-03-2007, 01:25 PM
je t'aime mon fiance

benson
17-03-2007, 01:44 PM
oui bien sur et vous avez raison!!! Il es tres gentil n'est ce pas???:chuckle:

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Cesser de mordre mon cheval ! !

benson
17-03-2007, 01:52 PM
good god no it won't!!!

:bunny:

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I can't even begin to explain why I know this statement but it all comes from a drunken night in my local pub when I lived in Toulouse!!

Ah happy days. :mand: :drunk: :booze: :didge: :on:

Nonnie
17-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Phil, you're biting your horse?

Oh ok.

The only thing I can say in Italian is "I'm terribly sorry but I don't speak a word of Italian, however, my boyfriend does" and then point.

but, if you get the wrong accent on the word "speaks" you actually say "my boyfriend is a chicken", which of course I have said on more than one occasion. But, that's life.

benson
17-03-2007, 02:12 PM
God I love this website - what tosh we know!!!:thumbsup:

Nonnie
17-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Ah yes, but random tosh is what makes the world go around. Everything can be trivial to everyone.

Trivia - the origins of the word "Trivia"....From the Italian tre via, (three roads) from the main junctions of a place where the people of the villages would gather and gossip and see and be seen.

Eeeee my mind is full of this sort of crap.

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Serbo Croat - Jedan pivo molin vas. (don't know if the spelling is right but it makes sense when said!!)
German - Eine Bier Bitte
French - Une bier silver plate
Spanish - una cerveza por favor

And the best language of them all

English - Shame agin fankoo, hiccup!! :drunk:

benson
17-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Ahh - multi lingual monsterers that we are... Sadly multi lingual doesn't mean having more than one tongue - well, a girl can dream.....

I better go now....

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 02:30 PM
I've just had a play with Google Language Tools and this made me laugh.

First to tell me what song this is gets to sing it at the Weekender. :mand:

Combien coûte celui doggy dans la fenêtre ? Celui avec waggly la queue.

Nonnie
17-03-2007, 02:36 PM
How much is that doggy in the window.

I'll sing it. I have no shame. I'm not proud. Or tired.

As for you Ms Singer. That was filthy. Pure filth. An A for sure.

Oh I gotta get off the net. I'm a busy person.

Bodybag
17-03-2007, 02:39 PM
How much is that doggy in the window.

I'll sing it In French?!. I have no shame. I'm not proud. Or tired.

Dix caractères

benson
17-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Filthy and proud of it - my new signature perhaps!

Clean that house woman!!!!!

Mand
17-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I was 12, far too cool to be dressing up but stupid enough to be getting hammered on Mum's Cherry Brandy and subsequently puking in Mrs. Clarke's front garden - ohhhh the shame!

My brothers were dressed up and my middle brother won first price as being a "Royal Mint" - Mum sewed loads of polo mints all over a green crimpolene outfit! :chuckle:

scrumpster
17-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Egg and spoon race. Jam tarts. Warm lemonade The smell of fresh cut grass. Nylon action man t-shirt. Brown shorts. Plastic Union Flags on plastic straws. Bunting, oh the bunting, it was everywhere. My brothers national health glasses with a plaster holding one arm on. My dad not being there as he was bobbing about on HMS Blake in the Solent as part of the RN review. Happy days.

Can't remember anything about the 2002 jubilee other than I was back in Gosport for the weekend (purely by coincidence) and visited the Sea Power display at Portsmouth Naval Base.

I was in Browndown in the top of my parents motorhome watching the fleet review in the Solent, I might have seen your dad!! I tell you it was a sight to behold - we had a Navy back then. 2002 wasn't a patch but the sea battle for the 200 year celebrations for Nelson by way of fireworks was brilliant :thumbsup: Good bye from Stevenage tee hee

gremlin
18-03-2007, 03:47 PM
How long is it till the Diamond one? Hope the old girl's around for it bless her! There didn't seem to be as much on in the way of street parties for the golden one. Probably elf and safety got involved, after all bunting is so dangerous if it falls on you!