PDA

View Full Version : Competition Instinct

Mostro69
15-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Perhaps it's gender-specific, perhaps it's age-specific, but when I'm sat at the lights next to a Bandit/Ninja/R1/Blade/Other and the lights are threatening to flick over, I get an involuntary urge to open up and leave the Bandit/Ninja/R1/Blade/Other in the dust.

Invariably I tame this urge and pull away politely because, quite frankly, I know that instinct could one day override my sensibility and make me lose it at speed.

What's your verdict - tame the instinct, or feed it?

giler
15-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Unleash the Beast!

slob
15-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Run it in first.

Mostro69
15-03-2007, 12:49 PM
Run it in first.

Of course, but this urge existed when on my last bike, which only had about 15bhp...

banditloon
15-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Of course, but this urge existed when on my last bike, which only had about 15bhp...

Did you have my Bandit?? :chuckle:

This morning whilst on my way to work. I was sitting quite normally at the front of the queue, traffic lights were red, and all I could hear (above the burble of Nessie), was some ijit in a car going vrrrrrooooom vrrrrrrrrooooooom vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooom vroom.

I thought "wow the bloke has found the accelerator!" I'm just sitting there, hands not even on the bars, notice the light changing from the other direction, that lovely large CLONK of first gear, amber light comes up, and rather large handful of throttle...

THAT'S WHAT AN ENGINE SHOULD SOUND LIKE!!! :D A chinook on 2 wheels :chuckle:

It depends what mood I'm in when I get to the lights. Usually I'll just leave people to get on with it, and I'll just pootle along (until I get bored!) :chuckle:

SazzaG
15-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I like to let them go, then overtake them at the next opportunity. Removes the risk of getting it very wrong off the lights!

Darry
15-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Yep go for IT!

I also get the urge to race away from the lights... its fun, why not! Big Grin factor too! :D

Darry.

AndyG
15-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Why not go to the:chuckle: pod this weekend and have a real go off the lights ?

Pedro
15-03-2007, 04:26 PM
It's not big or clever.....

And I do it everytime.....!

gremlin
15-03-2007, 05:10 PM
It's not gender specific, and I'm old enough to know better, but I have to get away first, whether it's in the car or on the bike. I used to really hammer the 125 bless it, she used to be quite good at getting away but I got mugged the other side. When I get the custard critter on the road things will be different hopefully! Perhaps I should be good when I do my test though don't think I'll get many brownie points for hooleying.

Shandy
15-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Unleash the Beast!

Too true mate, i think its a condition of ownership or it bloody well should be :yoparty:

Best one ive had was me on my little M600 against a big harley.........lets just say he didn't look happy in the mirrors :running:

spacemonkey
15-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Just don't try it against the new monstrosity of an M5 BMW... It will all end in tears..

Lost Again
16-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I've had a go at Impreza turbos and the odd 911 Turbo before now. I've always been 1st off the lights so far, its when you get to about 30mph and their turbo starts spooling up that they leave you lookin silly. bugger.
Against your everyday standard car though, my GS500 gets them every morning. Including today.
The mistake I won't make is taking on a sportsbike on a monster 600, its just not worth the embarassment.

Scotty
16-03-2007, 11:55 AM
i remember from us cbt one of the old fellas ,with wise experiance no doubt, said just to let the 4wd brigade go its not worth the humiliation

Nonnie
16-03-2007, 04:25 PM
You should have witnessed Benson and I in Ipswich last weekend. Oh, it was really pathetic, very silly, very childish but oh so much fun.

We even pulled a Nova full of nasty looking youngsters.

gremlin
16-03-2007, 04:56 PM
They're the best ones to scare the pants off little sh1ts.

Nonnie
16-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Oh, they wanted us Gremlin, they wanted us sooo badly. Shame they didn't have a chance of catching us.

gremlin
16-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Nice one! I hate chavs in little cars since they tried to run me off the road at the Clocktower in Norwich, tother half gave chase, don't think they'll do it again! All that noise and no go they get what they deserve. Come on monsters :yoparty