PDA

View Full Version : Jeans or Not Jeans.....

John Lloyd
14-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone...
Ok, after yet another morning argument with the wife, and at the risk of receiving a load of flack I thought I'd ask the question...(i think I've seen some previous threads around this).
Yes....got some lovely, safe and expensive Dainese gear hanging up, but with this weather I just want to pull on jeans and jacket to go to work. I'm lucky enough that I can wear jeans in the office so apart from anything else, it just makes it all much easier when I get there, and I don't have to bear the pain of people taking the p*ss out of my legs when I get changed.
I've tried the "Hood Jeans" argument but it's not working. It all kicked off when I said maybe she should stop smoking. This turned out to be a very bad move which will result in complete silence for the next 3days......come to think of it, why is that bad ?

So come on, tell me straight...am I being a prat ?
Ta
J

:Furious:

markus
14-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I sit on the side of the fence of 'you can wear what ever the hell you want'
I often go for a ride in jeans and a t shirt and just an open face - it might not be considered 'responsible' by some of the biking comunity, but it feels fantastic, my life is my own and i'd much rather regret doing something than not doing it!
It's a cliche boys and girls, but this ain't a dress rehersal - so do whatever you want to do!
Oh and smoking's far worse in my opinion!

slob
14-03-2007, 09:13 AM
When I ride to work I usually wear Draggin Jeans to avoid having to change when I get there, while still getting reasonable protection.
Longer rides at the weekend and it's usually full leathers, even if the short commute is probably statistically more dangerous.
Smoking is more dangerous that either clothing option, make her stand outside in the rain!

paul620sie
14-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Your legs - your decision

Her Lungs - her decision.

Mostro69
14-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I got these funky kevlar-lined jeans, with protective knee-inserts, at Infinity Motorcycles.

http://www.oliversadie.com/UKMOC/Monster69_Wisborough_11-Mar-07.jpg

Very comfortable, theoretically good protection, and doesn't look half bad! :cool:

Mostro69
14-03-2007, 09:58 AM
hmm... couldn't tell you how they compared to Hood Jeans.

John Lloyd
14-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys.
Think this will lengthen the argument and maybe shorten the marriage.
Maybe a pair of these and the Take That tickets I've just managed to get hold of for her will ease the situation later.... (no...I'm not going)
Have a good day.....I've just closed the blinds in the office so I can pretend it's raining outside.
J

banditloon
14-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm also tempted with the jeans option. I wear a 2 piece Frank Thomas suit for work, luckily there is not heating in the office at work and I can sit around in the leather trousers all day!! Summer is coming and I'm not going for a pair of Levis approach (just down to having 2 accidents, and both I was wearing jeans and I still have the scars on my legs!).

I think a pop down to the bike shop is in order, for some summer office kit shopping, and keep the one piece RST suit for weekend blats :D

JayT
14-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I have had a pair of draggin jeans for the last year or so and they have been great, although I havent yet tested the kevlar lining! The only things I can say against them is that they are not totally identical to wearing jeans, they are pretty damn thick, and still get quite warm on a hot summers day, especially where the kevlar lining is...........arse:o ..........and they could do with having an internal pocket to mount the knee pads, rather than just having velcro which sticks to the armour, as they often fall down to ur shin whilst walking around.

Other than that, they're a great alternative.

Gilps
14-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I've got a pair of Draggin Jeans and think they are OK. You can order ones that have the armour fitted but mine haven't. Obviously they are not going to be as good as leathers, but should be better than regular jeans. They have been tested by the manufacturers and stack up quite well in slide tests, but its armour that's really going to save you in an impact incident. The lack of armour is a bit of a concern but then I think you have to weigh that up against the type of riding you do. Sometimes I wear my winter textiles over regular jeans, with the thermal liner removed. That works well as you get the armour protection and waterproof too but can be too warm in the Summer.
Draggin Jeans soften up after the first couple of washes but be careful to follow the washing guidelines as you can render the kevlar useless.
All in all a good product.

I bought my ex a pair of the girly type camo trousers last year. They are really cool. They did them made to measure for an extra 15 quid.

Nonnie
14-03-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm an idiot. I need as much protection as possible.

Scotty
14-03-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm an idiot. I need as much protection as possible.

thats my take on the situation an all :dunce:

queen_gpants
14-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Why not get yerself some cordura trousers?

I bought a really nice 2 piece all weather cordura suite from Hein Gericke a couple of years ago with leather inserts on the hips and knees, they come with interchangeable linings, thermal and windproof. They do a huge range of textile pants for guys and girls.

Last summer when it was really hot I still wore my suit but took out all the other layers, I still have that hyprotec armour in the knees and places and they were quite cool and comfortable and they have side zips on the legs so can be worn over boots, I wear my Caterpillar boots with mine and they look great.

As for the wife, well I suggest you throw more insults at her so you get thrown in the dog house and then you can go out on your bike as much as you like! :idea:

scrumpster
14-03-2007, 04:45 PM
I always go with full protection, no matter what the situation. I had a skin graft once and that was a layer of skin being removed from my thigh for a good cause but the after effects stung like hell. I'd hate to imagine what losing a leg full, arm full or whatever would be like and with so many numpty car drivers about, no I don't risk it, but it is personal choice at the end of the day! :thumbsup:

John Lloyd
14-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks again everyone....
Actually the doghouse sounds a good option....probably more sex and the dog doesn't snore as much.
Something tells me another hurdle is brewing.....had a call today to tell me that our neighbour's son lost it on his Fireblade two nights ago and sadly didn't make it. Not sure what he was doing or what happened.....poor sod.
Think I'm going to have to push the bike round the corner for a while before starting it.....and maybe lay off the jeans debate for a while.
Ta
J

banditloon
14-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks again everyone....
Actually the doghouse sounds a good option....probably more sex and the dog doesn't snore as much.
Something tells me another hurdle is brewing.....had a call today to tell me that our neighbour's son lost it on his Fireblade two nights ago and sadly didn't make it. Not sure what he was doing or what happened.....poor sod.
Think I'm going to have to push the bike round the corner for a while before starting it.....and maybe lay off the jeans debate for a while.
Ta
J

Bugger :( Never good to hear about fallen bikers.

My condolences to the family, and I hope you don't get too much ear ache from HWMBO.

Remember kiddies ride safe, and look out for those out to get us

Mostro69
14-03-2007, 05:41 PM
My condolences, that's fkn awful news.

Nonnie
14-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Can I just add at this point, my neighbours son lost it on the road here last night, hit a ditch in his car which then flipped over and landed in the field. He was wearing his seatbelt. Don't forget that folks. It's certainly prevented my neighbours perhaps losing their son last night too.

You have to look after yourselves because nobody is going to do it for you.

xx

johnnystorm
14-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Dreadful News. :(
On the trousers front I got myself some of the cordura trousers mentioned above from HGthey have well secured hiprotec knees/hips are wind/waterproof have removable linings and you'd probably get away with them down the pub. I'm liking the look of 69s Infinity jeans but then I see Hood are just up the road from me....

banditloon
14-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I've just been having a look on the Draggin Jeans website. I think a pair of red combats will be ordered very shortly :D

Plum
14-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Sad news about your neighbour! Never good to hear of any fallen bikers!

On the protection issue, i am on the fence too with that one. I have had my share of spills (pleased to say none are my fault) and when i am on the Monnie pottering about, i am in jeans/combats and if we are out for a howl then its the leathers. I also own a H****y, and in the summer i go in shorts. I dont see it as the cool thing to do, and i am not trying to set an image, but i enjoy it on the Hog for some reason. When i got married i did ride without a lid, but we were in Maui and the law says you dont need to wear one. Its a nice feeling having the wind in your hair and chugging along. The fact of the matter is, it doesnt matter how you ride, what you ride and what your wearing, there are always other idiots on the road and accidents happen, and it hurts....a lot! the more protection, the better off you will be, but it is a personal choice, and if you come off you have no-one else to blame except yourself. Thats the way i see it

Good luck with the wife...i have one of those and i know they can be trying (just joking ladies)