PDA

View Full Version : You seen a Garmin ZUMO GPS unit ?

J.P
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Seen this advertised a couple of times in the mags lately. 'Designed for Bikers' they says. Which also seems to mean, lets add £200 on top of normal GPS unit prices.
I'm tempted to buy just because I know using some of the other GPS models out there are a little more petit.
I've seen threads about GPC units generally no not looking to start that again, but just wondered if you'd seen a ZUMO.

SimonH
09-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I bought one of these at last year's dirt bike show at Stoneleigh. It came with a RAM mount as a kit. Currently I have it on my Yam MT03. I bought a bluetooth headset and the "Safety ????" camera software.

It's pretty good. The routing is clear and well thought out with the headset giving clear instructions well in advance of turns. The display is clear and easy to read. It;s bright enough to read in sunlight and changes colour at dusk so it doesn't blind you at night.

The unit has a touch screen which works well once you have adjusted it. If you want to see one in action then I am in Greenford in West London, if that helps.

SimonH

J.P
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks a lot Simon, nice to hear it all works for you.
Does the mount just bolt on to the handlebar and remain in place ? and can you just slip the ZUMO off to stick it on your bag for example ?

SimonH
12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
The kit comes with a RAM mount which has various gizmos which mean you can bolt it on more or less anywhere. Mine is mounted on the R/H top yoke bolt using a longer bolt and a small spacer. The unit detaches from the mount by use of a flip-up clamp. The bonus is there is a small security screw (screwdriver supplied) which you can screw down to stop the unit becoming detached (or nicked). Integral with the unit is the power supply lead (fused) which is supplied with the kit.

fatbloke
12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm on my 3rd different make of GPS and IMO the Garmin is the best, Never
tried the Zumo but i'm sure it'll be good