PDA

View Full Version : could anyone help?

Stu
08-03-2007, 09:54 PM
:scratch: got a s4 monster,owned it since new2052,had all sorts of problems with it but wont go into that,im having problems starting the bike,when i turn the ignition on the fuel pump dosnt allways activate so have to keep turning ignition on and off till dose,then when riding off the bike sometimes cuts out,at the moment it wont start at all ,have a new battery,and its constantly charged on a optimate,the bike still refuses to turn over,anyone got any ideas,much appreciated,stu

Shandy
08-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Hello there, welcome to the club :flag:

Have you tried changing the main relay under the seat yet? Its a common ish thing to go wrong and would prevent the thing turning over, its a cheap thing to get too so worth a try first, have a look at this thead,

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21271&highlight=relay

Good luck with it.

Cheers,

Shandy

gary tompkins
08-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Intermittant electrical faults are always the worst to pin down :banghead:

Possible culprits (in no particular order) ...

Ignition switch, Kill switch, ignition relay, starter relay (solenoid), side stand cut-out or alarm/immobiliser if fitted.

Other possibilities...

Loose or corroded connectors, battery leads or breaks in wiring loom

S4's don't like limp batteries and ECU shuts up shop if the voltage drops too low killing the sparks, but you seem to have that covered with the new replacement and optimate.

Theres always the possibility the pump itself could be duff, but I've not heard of many going wrong? My own money would be on the main ignition relay - a £5.00 item that often packs up on monsters of all types. If you have a wiring diagram you should be able to find it, or failing that turn the ignition on/off with tank up and you should hear relay clicking as fuel pump kicks in.

Shauns4
10-03-2007, 07:32 PM
when i turn the ignition on the fuel pump dosnt allways activate so have to keep turning ignition on and off till dose,then when riding off the bike sometimes cuts out,at the moment it wont start at all ,the bike still refuses to turn over

I would change the starter and fuel pump relay, both are known to give trouble.

Shaun