PDA

View Full Version : coming home to biking

DavidEJM
08-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Hi all. I've not owned a bike for a while and am thinking of buying an M600 fromo a dealer locally. The bike is a 94 M plate 20k miles. Appears standard but dealer can't tell me much about the history. Any advice for a newbie to persuade me back to bikes? I'm able to do most (if not all) work on things mechanical, but is this a sensible proposition with the M600?

squiffything
08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
How much do you want to pay is it going to be big enough and do you want that level of milage? The reason I ask those questions is that there are three superb bike on this forum currently looking for owners that might also interest you:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21394
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21245
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21245

Buying a Monster is the only way to go and by joining here you have found the font of all monster knowledge. You will not be disappointed. A good all round bike for fun, touring, commuting and generally getting back to biking

scrumpster
08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Welcome and Squiffy's advice is spot on, you can't go wrong here and hopefully a few more members will pop along with their advice and views too. I bought mine from a non ducati dealer and have to say would probably not go down that route again!!! I would buy from the forum and from a Ducati dealer and you do need the bike's history.

DavidEJM
09-03-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys, looking to spend as little as possible! Probably a 600 (both cheaper and hopefully less likely to get myself into bother), not too worried about the mileage as long as it has some service history (belts etc) but that may be where I'm struggling. The dealer (non Duke) is known to me, so hopefully I won't get ripped off, but will try to trace previous owner to see if any history comes to light.

It looks kinda too cheap at £1200 which is what is worrying me. i'll let you know how I get on.

banditloon
09-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the forum DavidEJM :D

Best advice is to find out some service history from the previous owner :) If that all comes back good, then you'll have some serious thinking to do ;) The belts aren't too much to get changed (just over £90 for the two on my 900 Monster at Rosso Corse), and I only joined the Monster owners gang back in December when I bought a 35,000 mile 1993 900 Monster for £1400, which also had me wondering about the price! So far I'm bloody happy with the Monster :D

Good luck with the shopping :D

gremlin
10-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I got my '95 monster for £650 but she had been standing outside for two years, a mate paid around £1300 for his P reg both have needed work. Good luck there are a few around and seem to be easy to work on and parts are quite cheap too. So far we've done belts, brakes, clutch lever, fuel filter, battery and it's cost around £90 but I do have a man who can to do my work!! I won't say what I have to do to get the work done.

DavidEJM
12-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Spotted an M900 not far from me that has been re-built. It looks good too. It is a 94 M plate 16000 miles. Much work done to it because it was standing around for a while. Had the cylinder bolts replaced because one had broken, all bearings etc redone got an MOT and tax. Anything I need to be aware of on a Monster this age?

CK & AK
12-03-2007, 09:47 PM
With any older bike (or even newer ones), if there is no recent history, or its been standing for more than a few months, then you ought to budget for a full belt service (or do it yourself if you can)
Belts breaking/slipping are the worst thing that can happen, otherwise everything else is the usual 'age related' or 'wear & tear you might expect in any bike - fork seals, rear suspension loop arm bolts (common problem in a carbie bike, when it isnt regularly checked)
Electrics can also be a bother on the older bikes, with rear light bulbs often popping, or better still starter soleniod switches playing 'will not work' on that one day you NEED to ride :D
Not that this needs to put you off, often these can be minor probs just to be aware of in case they crop up.

Personally, I wouldnt pay more than £1k for any carbie 600, and the oldest 10yr plus ones seem to be going for about £800 privately, with about a grand for a good condition Full DSH.

Good luck - and happy shopping

C:)

DavidEJM
12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the advice. This one is a 900 and has had a huge amount of work done about a year ago because it had been standing around, unused. There is about five years known history and prior to that it was a one owner dealer sale. The thing has been stripped down to a frame, resprayed and new seals and bearings and a recent belt service. I might go for it as it is so close by. Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated.

DavidEJM
21-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Well I've taken the ebay plunge and bought a 2005 monster 800ie with termis (and original cans) :) in the (it would seem) very popular colour of Ducati yellow. Should be collecting her next week, the only trouble is it is at the other end of the country! Pictures and no doubt loads of questions to follow.

andros
21-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Great choice, the 800 is a great bike with agood all round powerful engine.

Termis should sound good too.

johndark
27-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Well I've taken the ebay plunge and bought a 2005 monster 800ie with termis (and original cans) :) in the (it would seem) very popular colour of Ducati yellow. Should be collecting her next week, the only trouble is it is at the other end of the country! Pictures and no doubt loads of questions to follow.

where exactly is your bike? what end of the country?just in case i can help re transport