PDA

View Full Version : First time biker wants a Monster

Scott
06-03-2007, 11:56 AM
I am booked in to do Direct Access in a few weeks and want to start out on a Monster 620 or 695. I live in Wandsworth, South London and am looking for the best place to test drive/buy/service. Any suggestions?

Bodybag
06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I am booked in to do Direct Access in a few weeks and want to start out on a Monster 620 or 695. I live in Wandsworth, South London and am looking for the best place to test drive/buy/service. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the club.

If you're buying new, you could try Daytona Motorcycles. Otherwise anywhere that'll let you test ride a bike.

spm23
06-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Why don't you consider this absolute bargain.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21245

Have it restricted until you pass your tests, you won't have to consider another bike after. If I didn't already have one I'd buy it myself.

As for servicing, the consensus is go for an independent, the main dealers don't offer value for money. There are plenty of threads on the forum advising of good service shops in and around London.

Bodybag
06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Why don't you consider this absolute bargain.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=21245

Have it restricted until you pass your tests, you won't have to consider another bike after. If I didn't already have one I'd buy it myself.

As for servicing, the consensus is go for an independent, the main dealers don't offer value for money. There are plenty of threads on the forum advising of good service shops in and around London.

You wouldn't be able to get this restricted. But, if you're doing Direct Access, you'd be able to ride this as soon as you've passed. I did that with my S4.

boris
08-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Shame that I'm at the other end of the world as you could of had my baby for a gift... :thumbsdown:

russ77
11-03-2007, 10:39 PM
There used to be a dealer called David Robinson Motorcycles in Wandsworth. They did service and repairs and sold the odd Monster too I believe. I'm not sure if they're still going though. Rosso Corse in Mile End come very highly recommended for service.

This site is an excellent place to buy a second hand Monster. Everyone here loves 'em and looks after them.

Don't bother with restricted bikes. Rent a bike while going through the DAS and then buy whatever you want when you've passed. Few places will let you take a test ride without a full deposit - a bit unfair. The 600-620-695 (in fact most Monsters) are perfect first bikes. The only restriction you'll notice is the limited steering lock. You probably won't have to do many foot-up U-turns once you've passed though. Roll on the summer.

Paivi
12-03-2007, 09:35 PM
There used to be a dealer called David Robinson Motorcycles in Wandsworth. They did service and repairs and sold the odd Monster too I believe. I'm not sure if they're still going though.
Dave is still very much in business.
Few places will let you take a test ride without a full deposit - a bit unfair. The 600-620-695 (in fact most Monsters) are perfect first bikes. The only restriction you'll notice is the limited steering lock. You probably won't have to do many foot-up U-turns once you've passed though. Roll on the summer.
Understandably, though, a newly passed biker will find it difficult to test ride new bikes. Not sure if it's this difficult with second hand ones.

I totally agree with a 695 being a perfect first bike. For me, it'll suffice for several years to come, but most people probably want something bigger in a year or so, so you might want to look at an S2R.

Throw a few bikes in insurance quote sites and see what difference it makes to the quote, too.