PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Warning

neilp
28-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Be carefull for the next few days if filling up with Tesco's and Morrisons as reports are saying that they are selling some iffy petrol which is causing a lot of problems for fuel managment systems.

squiffything
28-02-2007, 04:52 PM
does it have blue and white stripes running through it?

sadbiker
28-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Which area? as it will be down to the oil distrubution depo, I did hear on the news something do to with South East........

bod
28-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeh I work in a garage and have had reports last week of a lot of cars(different brands) have mixture problems,usually coming up with oxygen sensor faults,owners reported filling up at Tescos too shortly before failure.

Luckily all these garages are down south!

Robot
28-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Be carefull for the next few days if filling up with Tesco's and Morrisons as reports are saying that they are selling some iffy petrol which is causing a lot of problems for fuel managment systems.

Stick to V Power!

banditloon
28-02-2007, 08:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405701.stm

There's two feds from the BBC. Seems to be petrol stations around this area of the South East.

sjr999r
28-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Something to do with ethnol mixed it the fuel!....oooooppppssss

banditloon
28-02-2007, 11:54 PM
After reading the blurb on the BBC ethanol is in most of the fuels but as an acceptable level of 5% or something rather technical like that! God knows what they put in petrol, but I'm glad I use Shell or Sainsburys depending where I am!! :D

jerry
01-03-2007, 04:07 AM
here in Thailand they put 10% ethanol in petrol (gasoholE10)and it can really mess up certain engines , i always try to buy 95 octane non gasohol but its not always available, in USA all gasoline is Gasohol E10 and ducatis run OK on it there , but ducati says they shouldnt. In Thailand 95 is the best u can get no 97/98/99 octane if no 95 available i have used 91 octane non gasohol in the S4 without problem for short periods until i can fill up with 95 , a little power loss.

In YUK i use shell V power or BP ultimate in the M750 both are 98/99 octane fuels and good quality.

jerry

Kiwi
01-03-2007, 06:59 AM
trouble with suopermarket petrol stations is that they are never where you actually want a gas station to be, next to roads you actually use

Everytime they open a supermarket petrol station it signals teh end of teh traditional roadside based petrol station

If the trend continues we will only be left with supermarkets and motorways services areas, and looking at the price of motorway service areas guess what will happen to the pricing of supermarket petrol when the oil companies have reached this objective

Duncan
01-03-2007, 10:59 PM
My car has been doing this for a few weeks now, the engine malfunction light comes on with BP! Fill up, 2 miles later on comes the light. Run it empty, fill with anything else, no problems. Its been known about for a while, its just hit the news and all the people like me are making the connection. Being as its all out of the same refineries just with different additives then it will be widespread.

Pedro
01-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Glad I run a diesel!!

jerry
02-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Seems like they put too much etnanol in that would do it probably more than 12-15% would be enough to cause problems but it is usually older engines that suffer so it may be silicone contamination or something else as it is affecting newer vehicles.

jerry monsterman

gary tompkins
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
They have now tested petrol and found problem is due to silicon contamination. It causes a build up on O2 sensor effecting engine management. Unleaded shouldn't have silicon in it - only derv needs it.

nambduke
03-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Glad I run a diesel!!

When did you convert your bike:rolleyes: ?? Any tips on the conversion......:chuckle: Bet it runs rough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul620sie
05-03-2007, 05:13 PM
A quick fix if you car is off the road waiting parts. Disconnect the oxygen sensor, the car's ECU will assume its faulty and switch to a safe limp home mode. The Oxygen sensor is just before the Catalyst (some cars have a second just after the cat), and wait for the cat to cool first.

I don't recommend you drive your car very far like this but it may just help get you home while you are waiting for parts.

squiffything
06-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Looks like Tesco's are taking the blame Ads in the paper to repair cars that have suffered. Do you think it might have been that that made my handbrake fail and let my car roll backwards into a loverly TVR? Still I can now say that I have a TVR paintjob on mine.