PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas

scrumpster
24-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Spotted on a roundabout off junction 6 of the M3 Northbound on way to meet Benson - Me and my third lift home on a tow truck!! People thought I was stood there just for the sheer hell of it making phone calls for over an hour!! A lot of ignorant motorists but some very nice people who stopped to make sure I was okay - to those a big thanks :)

Right, the problem, a very brief lack of power on the M3 but carried on okay. Left M3, loss of power but managed to keep revs up and it was okay. At the next roundabout the whole lot just stopped and I had to coast from the middle lane through a gap in 2 cars to the edge of the road.

Initially it was thought I had an oil leak, but there was no oil to be seen apart from the window through the mayonnaise haze! So any ideas? The ironic thing is as we got it off the truck it started first time all sounds fine but I'm not prepared to risk it at the moment. The bike will be looked at tomorrow but if you lot have any ideas it would help a great deal - thanks :confused:

Meteor
24-02-2007, 09:19 PM
My 900 did a similar thing when I first got it - which was either a kinked petrol pipe and/or carb icing.
I fitted a new length of fuel pipe and dosed the tank with Silkolene Pro-fst at the same time - the problem went but I never sussed out which it was.

Hope this helps....?

Scotty
24-02-2007, 09:45 PM
once had a perished vaccume hose for the fuel tap

do you recon this is perhaps a 'karma thing' and all the bad things youve done in life are manifed as revenge in your monster ? (you must have been a very bad person to warent all this greif ;) )

Pedro
24-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Sounds like fuel starvation or a knackered vacuum hose as has been said

STIVH
25-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Exactly the same problem for me last year but in the sodding rain fully loaded with tank bags, rucksack and camping gear on the back end. Middle lane slow moving (20mph). I couldn't of stopped quicker if I had flicked the kill switch which I thought I had. Just to add to the fun I also had to cross over a two lane slip road trying to paddle with my feet and stay upright aswell - must of looked a right dork at the time?

Problem - almost certainly carb icing checked all the obvious, cursed waited ten minutes thought about phoning the RAC but instead pressed the button and after a bit of chugging was on my way again I use Acetone now 2ml to every full tank and never miss a beat plus I get over 160 miles to the tankful of petrol.

benson
25-02-2007, 08:00 AM
My 600 used to do this sort of thing Sharon - I'd only justs bought it and it was a struggle to keep the thing going - they replaced the fuel hose thingy and it was fine after that - it does sound like fuelling - even to my meagre mechanical brain!!! I hope it gets fixed and this is the cause cos it's one of the cheaper things that can go wrong - don't give up on Munch just yet!!!

Take care and speak soon hon - it's absolutely pouring down here at the moment, and the sky is turning darker by the minute so I'm not sure I'll be heading anywhere today!!!

Speak soon,

xxx

scrumpster
25-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Cheers you lot. I had already gone about 48 miles when it happened and I suffer carb icing and use pro FST, so not sure it's that. I think it was my fuel breather tube that was dripping (water the recovery bloke reckoned) when I had pulled over and it's never done that before and I had filled it up before I left, but what was coming out with the water was white, which I don't understand. I'm afraid to say though that I am seriously going to have to consider a more reliable machine as I use it every day mainly. I just wish I won the lottery last night!

By the way, I am as pure as the driven snow so it's not my punishment for all things bad :)

Rachel, I hope it stops raining!!! I'm off in the car to collect Dan now, so once more my peace is shattered!!

Scotty
25-02-2007, 02:33 PM
By the way, I am as pure as the driven snow

:look: :chuckle:

scrumpster
25-02-2007, 08:39 PM
The plugs were fouled up and pretty corroded so I have put new ones in and will try the bike out on the work run tomorrow and hope it gets me there!!! The fuel pump is working fine and the pipe looks okay so it could be another one of lifes mysteries!!! I will therefore in future be carrying spare plugs and spanner around with me......just in case!!! :banghead:

benson
26-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Let's hope it was nothing more then!!!!!:thumbsup:

djdazza
26-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow, you guys make me feel so inadequate

Carb icing ? Acetone ?

Am I alone in feeling like you are talking another language

My Baby has never missed a beat except for high oil usage and periodic seizing of the ignition switch

Is there a course anybody can recommend for basic maintenance. Had a company car for a million years and have not done any work on a vehicle
for yonks
Feel a bit silly pitching up and riding without getting useful info

Cheers

Daz

gary tompkins
26-02-2007, 11:12 PM
You wont need to worry about icing or using fuel additives on your 620. Injected engines don't suffer from this winter problem like carbed bikes.

STIVH
26-02-2007, 11:22 PM

Carb icing ? Acetone ?

Yep I am also inadequate that's why I use acetone it's just like (well almost exactly like!!!) Pro FST and about £10.00 for a 5 litre tin.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__Acetone_7.html

Glad it was only a cheap fix (fingers still crossed) scrumpster, just as an aside - have you also checked your filler cap seal just incase you have water being drawn into the tank around the filler cap, it may also be worth just draining your carbs with the fuel tap off incase there is any water settled in the carbs - this could also be causing your plugs to foul up?

scrumpster
28-02-2007, 06:34 AM
Yep I am also inadequate that's why I use acetone it's just like (well almost exactly like!!!) Pro FST and about £10.00 for a 5 litre tin.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__Acetone_7.html

Glad it was only a cheap fix (fingers still crossed) scrumpster, just as an aside - have you also checked your filler cap seal just incase you have water being drawn into the tank around the filler cap, it may also be worth just draining your carbs with the fuel tap off incase there is any water settled in the carbs - this could also be causing your plugs to foul up?

That may well be worth looking into as I am an all weather rider. Thanks :)

NBs
28-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I was thinking today scrumpy, that I'd like to take your carbs to bits and make sure they're all sparkly clean, and also make sure there's no water in the bowls.
But I'll do that when I can be bothered!

singletrack
28-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Sharon. where did you buy your petrol from?

It isn't likely to be that dogdy batch is it?

Bodybag
28-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Carb icing ? Acetone ?

My Baby has never missed a beat except for high oil usage and periodic seizing of the ignition switch

Is there a course anybody can recommend for basic maintenance. Had a company car for a million years and have not done any work on a vehicle
for yonks

Cheers

Daz

Mate,

A year ago, I barely knew which way round I had to sit on a bike and yet with a lot of perseverance and asking lots of stupid questions, I now know which way to turn the key to make it noisy!! :mand:

Seriously, I genuinely didn't have a clue a year ago and, although I'm no mechanic now, I'm not scared of my bike anymore. I spent a bit of time just reading every single thread on here. A lot of it was irrelevant, and I didn't understand a lot, but the more you read the more you learn. There's still a million things on here I don't understand but I'm now at a level that I can converse without feeling like a space cadet!!

Hope this helps.

Phil

banditloon
28-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Carb icing ? Acetone ?

for yonks

Cheers

Daz

Check with your local night school / further education centre. They may have some classes on motorcycle maintenance :)

scrumpster
01-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I was thinking today scrumpy, that I'd like to take your carbs to bits and make sure they're all sparkly clean, and also make sure there's no water in the bowls.
But I'll do that when I can be bothered!

You are just too good to me :spin:

I didn't buy the fuel from Tesco, got it from my local garage in Lee, so I don't think it's dodgy. Mind you fuel generally comes from the same outlet doesn't it!!

NBs
01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm not suggesting you've got dodgy fuel Scrumpy, just that you might have crap in your carbs, or a bit of water in your bowls like someone suggested up-thread.

To diverse a little... "Mind you fuel generally comes from the same outlet doesn't it!"
Hmmm... sort of. The big name forcourts such as BP, Shell, Esso, etc refine their own. It's the supermarkets that tend to share the same source, but that source can change according to what's the cheapest at the time - they often import the fuel and store it.

scrumpster
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm not suggesting you've got dodgy fuel Scrumpy, just that you might have crap in your carbs, or a bit of water in your bowls like someone suggested up-thread.

To diverse a little... "Mind you fuel generally comes from the same outlet doesn't it!"
Hmmm... sort of. The big name forcourts such as BP, Shell, Esso, etc refine their own. It's the supermarkets that tend to share the same source, but that source can change according to what's the cheapest at the time - they often import the fuel and store it.

I know you aren't suggesting it NB me old fruit. I filled up at Total down the road. Carb cleaning is good though!

benson
01-03-2007, 06:51 PM
He he he - now that sounds like an offer no girl could refuse!!!!!

scrumpster
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM
He he he - now that sounds like an offer no girl could refuse!!!!!

He's an angel isn't he - in disguise I think!!! :wallace:

benson
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Indeed and in disguise or not - that's one good friend you've got there!!!

scrumpster
01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Indeed and in disguise or not - that's one good friend you've got there!!!

Yes a very good friend like you all :wallace: Will have to get the sick bucket out in a minute!! tee hee!!!

scrumpster
21-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Right it's defunct again. The plugs are sparking fine, but top one by seat is black and wet, the bottom one seemed not too bad but black, running too rich I think and it backfires a lot. Started and run like sh** then wouldn't start, fiddled with plugs, started again and ran okay but then stopped and didn't want to know. I ended up 2 hours late at work and came by bus, I'm getting really, really fed up as I don't know enough. Is it time to get rid do you think? :cry: Looks like I could be in the car on the Weekender and the breakfast run looking dodgy :banghead:

Mrs Soup
21-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Don't lose hope with the bike. It sounds as though you've just got the problems that a used 600 develops. Mine was exactly the same, used all year round, occaisionally problematical and worse when it was due a service. The idle screw on the carbs seized once which really put the performance out, and a big multiplug on the main loom melted which felt like carb icing but worse.

I always carried a spare set of plugs and spanner as the top plug was given to regular fouling. As long as no-one's overtightened the plugs they're a doddle to change. I also ran NGK's rather than the 'Ducati' plugs which behaved better at lower temperatures. Though I never used fst, I always filled up with 97 ron which also helped.

If you can get someone to check out the fuel mixture and remove and refit the plugs, you my find that it all settles down once the wether warms up!

Good Luck

Plum
21-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Hey Sharon! I had a very similar problem just before i came to the weekender in 05. After a chat with Pedro (yes he is good for something......now and again) my mate and i stripped the carbs down to reveal a horrendous amount of slimey, rusty crap in the bowls. It had completely clogged the jets and was the result of water in the fuel. You say you ride in all weathers, and i do to, so i can only guess that this may have caused the problem. If the seal isnt tight on the filler cap, the water will get in that way and in to the tank. My tank had gotten surface rust and needed to be petsealed. After that was done, we did the carbs and replaced the hoses to be safe. I am glad to say that i have not had any problems since.

Dont lose hope chick. I nearly cancelled my boat to the weekender as i couldnt trust the bike to get there without breaking down. It got there in one piece and never had reason to worry again.

Let me know how you get on, and it may pay to talk to that ugly geezer Ped......he knows his s**t

L
x

benson
21-03-2007, 02:25 PM
And if your monster won't get you there you can take my BMW!!!!!

Bodybag
21-03-2007, 07:38 PM
And if your monster won't get you there you can take my BMW!!!!!

But then she'd have to park in the naughty corner!! :(

benson
21-03-2007, 08:11 PM
yeah but she'd like that!

Albie
21-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Right it's defunct again. The plugs are sparking fine, but top one by seat is black and wet, the bottom one seemed not too bad but black, running too rich I think and it backfires a lot. Started and run like sh** then wouldn't start, fiddled with plugs, started again and ran okay but then stopped and didn't want to know. I ended up 2 hours late at work and came by bus, I'm getting really, really fed up as I don't know enough. Is it time to get rid do you think? :cry: Looks like I could be in the car on the Weekender and the breakfast run looking dodgy :banghead:

I admire your patience. I would have sold it by now and brought an 620ie or something of that type. Just because it breaks down doesnt mean to say its a bad bike but unless your willing and able to not rely on it until its fault has been determined. It must be a fixable thing. I wonder if it is carbs or electrics. I know Gully has a spare set of 600 carbs if you want to go that route. Really feel for your frustration Sharon:worried:

Shandy
21-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Is it time to get rid do you think? :cry: Looks like I could be in the car on the Weekender and the breakfast run looking dodgy :banghead:

Nah not yet time to give up even if it is a pain especially using it to get too and from work. Sounds like electrically its ok as theres a spark. More than likely the carbs need a clean as others have said, NB offered a few pages back to do them looks like you might need to speak nicely to him and get him to pull his finger out!!!

After a chat with Pedro (yes he is good for something......now and again)

You must know a different one to me then :chuckle: :chuckle:

and it may pay to talk to that ugly geezer Ped......he knows his s**t

Joking aside about Ped, hes not that far from you i think and he may be able to help out, helped me get my front brake bled eventually :cool:

Cheers,

Shandy

yeharrr
22-03-2007, 09:08 AM
I had exactly the same thing happen on my wife’s Harley two weeks ago. Thought I had run out of petrol in the fast lane (yes a harley in the fast lane!). Then got it going for half a mile then it stopped again on a big roundabout. Had to push it all the way round (heavy git too) and cross three lanes to take my exit. Reserve was not much joy either. Got to a petrol station and it only took a fiver, so not out of fuel (unless the widened tank is really only full of weld and not extra space!). Seemed ok for a while and then had the odd moment, but managed to rev through it.
Drained carb.Let carb fill. Tapped with a screwdriver. Drained again. Fitted an in line filter, one of those little see through plastic ones – used them in the past and they seem fine and you can see if there is crap in there.
Fine so far. Carb icing will do similar but you won’t have got as far in the first place.

gremlin
22-03-2007, 09:56 AM
showing my total numptiness on ducatis (but learning ohh so fast), sarahs bike has oil lines going to the float chambers with a tap in-line. i am under the impression that this is supposed to stop carb icing by passing hot oil around the carbs. if this is so, arent these fitted to all 600m's as standard ?
or is it just a bolt on after thought that doesnt work ? as there seems to be lots of mentions of carb icing through out this site..:dizzy: :dizzy: :banghead: :banghead:

Shandy
22-03-2007, 10:13 AM
showing my total numptiness on ducatis (but learning ohh so fast), sarahs bike has oil lines going to the float chambers with a tap in-line. i am under the impression that this is supposed to stop carb icing by passing hot oil around the carbs. if this is so, arent these fitted to all 600m's as standard ?
or is it just a bolt on after thought that doesnt work ? as there seems to be lots of mentions of carb icing through out this site..:dizzy: :dizzy: :banghead: :banghead:

There supposed to stop carb icing but in reality i dont think they do much. It was something added to the later carbed monsters i think as i dont have it on my '95 M600. From waht i know its not a kit you can bolt on, but if it doesn't really work theres not much point anyway!!!

scrumpster
22-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Aren't you lot the best!! Firstly NB's is going to strip it when he and I have a free weekend. I have changed the plugs several times, they keep fouling, which they shouldn't currently on NGK iridiums. Plum, I think your suggestion may need looking into and I guess I'll find the answer out when the carbs are stripped.

I do love my monster to pieces and don't want to get rid and in a few weeks will be cycling to work when I move offices anyway :on: I aim to get fit :chuckle: that'll be the day!!

When my finances are healthy, I may consider getting an injected monster, alas that's probably years away :worried:

In the meantime it's 4 wheel and Rachel's BMW, if and when I can get there to borrow it, pillion ride needed, any offers!! :thumbsup: NB's if you look at this, got a van I can borrow - boy am I cheeky or what :p

Mine has a carb heater, it does get warm, but not entirely sure it's the business!!!

Scotty
22-03-2007, 09:13 PM
in a few weeks will be cycling to work when I move offices anyway :on: I aim to get fit :chuckle: that'll be the day!!

sniger :biggrin:

scrumpster
22-03-2007, 09:15 PM
sniger :biggrin:

And what's that supposed to mean??!!!!

Scotty
22-03-2007, 09:21 PM
err nowt ;)

you do have a womans saddel dont you :?

there's a world of difference between an athletic male backside and a woman's (not thinking of anyone in perticular) more childbearign width type of rear

as if you didnt know :rolleyes:

scrumpster
22-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Scotty, I haven't even had the bike delivered yet, it should have been here by now, but it will hopefully arrive before the 1st May and as it's a lady's bike, it should have a lady's saddle??? I could make a comment, but won't :chuckle: Naughty corner for me then!

benson
22-03-2007, 09:27 PM
A ladies saddle - because you are a lady indeed!!! :chuckle:

Now get out of the naughty corner :p and get yourself a lift up here to collect aforementioned beemer!!!