PDA

View Full Version : Number plates

DukeChick620
24-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question wondering about number plates. I have just fitted high level termi's to my m600 and my number plate is a bit of a tight fit. Can i cut the bottom corners off so it fits or do they have to be square. thanks again guys. :scratch:

Bodybag
24-02-2007, 04:31 PM
This is what www.malplates.co.uk have to say on the subject:

Legal plates for motorcycles must mave black legal characters (i.e. the legal font / typeface) measuring exactly 64x44mm, spaced 10mm apart with 30mm between letter groups. The characters must be placed on DVLA approved yellow reflective backing. All margins between the edge of the plate and the nearest part of the letter must be a minimum of 11mm. The registration must be displayed on two lines and split in the conventional way. Tampering with letter groups is not permitted.

Logos are permitted but must fit into an area 178 x 13mm, centered at the bottom of the plate. The plate must also display the BSAU mark to indicate its shatterproof qualities.

Retro-reflective Euro badges are permitted, and must display the Euro Stars logo and the letters GB on a blue backing strip.

Load of old bollix if you ask me!!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=10463&d=1172269798

Kiwi
24-02-2007, 06:26 PM
H do they have to be square:

Yes they do but strangely I've never heard of a Rover 75 owner being done for the strange shapped plates they stick on the rear of a Rover

gary tompkins
24-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Plates can be narrowed if you have a 1 in the top line such as **51

I managed to cut mine down by about 2" on the width and an inch on the height (lost dealer logo etc..) and keep standard letter font. Fitted just nice between the high level Sil's I had on at the time, was plod friendly and doubled as a crap catcher too.

lord vader
24-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I have rode with this little gem for 2 years and have never been tugged or even questioned. Even managed to Start the tiefighter up down at poole quay with me louder than louds fitted and this plate with a traffic copper stood directly behind, didn't realise till I checked over me shoulder to pull away. he just smiled!:chuckle:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/rlwhittington/Monstertakenfrombehind.jpg

gremlin
24-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Have seen worse on cars! One came past with hollowed out letters, couldn't make out what it said even at 5 yards yet a mate got stopped for a small plate on his Harley it was the one it was sold with too, it's not worth a ticket really.

Kiwi
25-02-2007, 06:03 AM
Plates can be narrowed if you have a 1 in the top line such as **51

I managed to cut mine down by about 2" on the width and an inch on the height (lost dealer logo etc..) and keep standard letter font. Fitted just nice between the high level Sil's I had on at the time, was plod friendly and doubled as a crap catcher too.

plates by law still have to be 9" x 7" regardless of letter size spacing width arouns numbers, maybe if teh plod had regular eye sight tests people wouldn'ty need huge eye charts attached to the back of their bikes

gary tompkins
25-02-2007, 11:13 PM
plates by law still have to be 9" x 7" regardless of letter size spacing width arouns numbers, maybe if teh plod had regular eye sight tests people wouldn'ty need huge eye charts attached to the back of their bikes

The "display of registration marks regulations 2001" (which AFAIK is still the current regs) don't quote an overall plate size - just letter size, spacing and border measurements....

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Working the dimensions with my reg mark (two letters + 51 in the top line, and three letters on the bottom row) this gives an overall width of 201mm (6.77") and height of 178mm (6.338") on standard letter fonts. Quite a bit smaller than the 9 X 7" that most would consider standard. If the top row had a full width number set like 53 your plate would have to be 30mm wider, but that's still a lot less than 9".

If you run a tiny plate with dodgy fonts your asking for hassle IMO. Just a pity plod aren't as strict enforcing plate regs on cars as they are with bikes.

Kiwi
26-02-2007, 06:16 AM
The "display of registration marks regulations 2001" (which AFAIK is still the current regs) don't quote an overall plate size - just letter size, spacing and border measurements....

I looked into that as well and came up with a smaller "leagal" plate but there is some fine print somewhere in the regulations regarding the overall size of a plate

When I was in NZ I got done for an illegal plate and I fought it in court and the charge was dropped very very quickly by the police

Shortly threre after they changed the plaste design and made it smaller