View Full Version : Oil - Am I a Numpty

djdazza
23-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Chaps and chapesses

My Monster seems to drink a bit of oil, approx 1/2ltr per 500mls

No lack of performance, strange noises or excess smoke

No drips under bike etc

I am using 10-40 normally Shell Ultra bike oil

Also find reading of oil level a pain with side stand, is there a more accurate way of reading the level ?

Any help much appreciated

Daz

sjr999r
23-02-2007, 04:45 PM
shouldnt read or top up the oil on the sidestand .............. is a very big NO NO,get a mate to hold it upright or get a paddock stand

slob
23-02-2007, 05:54 PM
They do use a bit. Mine uses about 500ml/1K miles, its got 28K on the clock and gets thrashed mercilessly. I'm afraid I'm not really sure what 'normal' is though.

gary tompkins
23-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't use a paddock stand to check the oil level. It tips the bike up at an angle onto the front wheel and you'll get a false reading. Just get someone to help you hold the bike level on flat ground - although I manage to do mine solo. The trike is even easier but that manages to stand up on it's own ;)

Bodybag
23-02-2007, 09:35 PM
I managed to work out the knack of leaning over by the side of the bike and standing the bike up straight just using the right hand grip. Probably doesn't do it much good but I can always read the level and know that it really is empty of oil!! As already said, don't do it on the sidestand or a paddock stand.

Shandy
23-02-2007, 09:53 PM
The same as above for me lean the bike a little so its vertical with both tyres down to check, although its easier if the oils warm as it flows easier.

I allways check mine 10 minutes or so after ive stopped riding so the oils still warm and had a chance to settle in the engine.

Cheers,

Shandy

sjr999r
23-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Don't use a paddock stand to check the oil level. It tips the bike up at an angle onto the front wheel and you'll get a false reading. Just get someone to help you hold the bike level on flat ground - although I manage to do mine solo. The trike is even easier but that manages to stand up on it's own ;)

hey GT,whos need a freind or a steady hand or even a paddock stand...........get a TRIKE,no probs:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Kiwi
24-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Chaps and chapesses

My Monster seems to drink a bit of oil, approx 1/2ltr per 500mls

A lopt of motors use that amount of oil, compared with the cost of engine rebuilds oil is cheap just keep putting more clean oil in and don't worry about it

gary tompkins
24-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Useful thread on oil consumption here...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=4841&page=2&highlight=oil+consumption

I'm sure there was a batch of 620's and a few 800's that had the wrong size pistons/bores fitted leading to poor performance and high oil consumption. Some were fixed by ducati under warrenty - I think Jmo's was one that got fixed?

Had a look for related threads but came up blank.

JMo
24-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm sure there was a batch of 620's and a few 800's that had the wrong size pistons/bores fitted leading to poor performance and high oil consumption. Some were fixed by ducati under warrenty - I think Jmo's was one that got fixed?

Yep, that was me... I had the problem from new, and was using a similar amount... Ducati say the maximum permitted consumption is 1 litre every 1000 miles, but that if it is the case, it ought to be looked at. The problem with mine was the piston rings were not sealing properly (perhaps due to an oversize bore/undersize piston at manufacturing?), but they changed the pistons and rings and all was good afterwards...

How old/many miles is your bike? If it's out of warrenty, I guess you are on your own unfortunately...

xxx

djdazza
26-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info people
I really appreciate the time taken to reply and I certainly have a lot to think about. I possibly mis-lead some of you. I dont actually read the oil level while on the side stand and I think getting a mate to hold it is the way forward.
My bike is an 03 plate and has done 2800 mls, 2500 of which I have done since Sept.

gary tompkins
26-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Make sure belts have been done recently. Even though the bikes done less than 3K miles they could be well overdue for renewal on the 2 year/12,000 mile rule?