PDA

View Full Version : Gremlin is livin up to her name

gremlin
18-02-2007, 07:01 PM
So far she has taken two chunks out of his nibs leg, the sidestand is bit of a b****r and today she caught fire, then when trying to remove master cylinder top shredded best screwdriver which snapped and the tip stuck in the cross so we had to drill around it to get screw out. Luckily there's no damage to the top and on the good side I've got nice hex screws which were bought for the Max. Still need to lower her, although sitting on her today with no seat I could touch the floor easily, just don't think it will be too comfy might get bad chuff chafe!

Nonnie
18-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Your bike caught fire?

You seem to be taking it all very well.

Shandy
18-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Thats a new one on me catching fire :fiery: :fiery: what were you doing to it at the time trying to fry things on the exhausts :eyepopping:

Sounds like your having some fun with it though!!!

benson
18-02-2007, 07:32 PM
It caught fire??? That's a new one - so far!!! How did you put it out? What did you use? What got knackered in the process - come on - we want details!!!

russ77
18-02-2007, 11:08 PM
My dad's best mate's Bantam caught fire while riding in the Mendips in the seventies. Apparently he could do nothing about it except get off, stand there and watch it burn. He sat and waited for a car to pass, got a lift home and left it on its stand. It may still be there for all we know.

Rotten luck you're having. Maybe it's feeling neglected? You didn't forget Valentines did you? Buy it some flowers and take it somewhere nice to show you still care. Temperamental Italians love all that

gremlin
19-02-2007, 07:12 AM
right, this is "his Nibs" speaking now. yep it caught fire. the bike has been standing outside for over two years and the petrol tank and carbs were full of water. they have all been cleaned out with a fresh fuel filter, new hoses etc. filled her with petrol all systems go. now as you all know, it has a vacuum cut off valve and a fuel pump that needs to be filled before the carbs see any petrol, so the easiest way i could see was to start the bike on easy start , then i could see that every thing was ok. bike running, easystart spraying, fuel filter filling up nicely, air box lid not on properly:grump:
easystart had run out of airbox and down the front of frame. carbs backfired and woooof:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
uncliped airbox lid and threw out garage door:fiery:
pulled out filter element and threw that as well:fiery:
then blew like f**k to put out rest of easy start that was burning nicely on the front of frame......then proceeded to put out the flames on my trousers (caused by easystart dripping off the airfilter as i threw that out of the garage)...it was a very exciting few seconds, but no damage done...:flamed:
lesson learned:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
bike now runs as sweet as, just got to bleed brakes and then its off to a mot.

slob
19-02-2007, 08:27 AM
the bike has been standing outside for over two years... ...bike now runs as sweet as, just got to bleed brakes and then its off to a mot.

CHANGE TIMING BELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Shandy
19-02-2007, 01:00 PM
CHANGE TIMING BELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Ill second that, there cheap as chips and its easy to do, not worth the grief of one snapping and shagging the engine!!

gremlin
19-02-2007, 04:56 PM
That's the next thing. Have found rear brake caliper is leaking fluid when we bled it this morning, but considering there are no pads at all, god knows how the guy stopped who had her before! Mind you he did sell her cos he came off and frightened himself, but as there's no damage it can't have been a big off so I don't know what went on. Himself has taken the caliper off this afternoon and haven't seen him since so don't know what the outcome is yet. Will be getting belts this week hopefully, but we're back in London next week so don't know when they'll get done. Have chatted to chap about test too so will hopefully be able to ride her soon. Yippeeeeee. Bring on the warm weather!!!!