PDA

View Full Version : '99 900ss

neilbaldry
18-02-2007, 10:43 AM
hey folks. im looking at selling my car, and getting a second bike. ive seen this at a local *caughs* honda dealers, and am taking it for a test next sunday (25th). what do you think of the 900SS? anything to worry about?

http://www.lingsbikeport.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=78

any advice would be goodly ta!

Bodybag
18-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Do it. You know you want to. :mand:

Zimbo
18-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I had an early 900SSie, it was a fantastic bike, comfortable on the open road and very practical with loads of underseat storage, no real issues at all. Only problem I had with it, it was just too fast, hid it's speed too well and you were always going faster than you thought!
It went well, safe handling, fairly slow steering and very stable, covered the miles very quickly indeed.
They're fairly cheap now, I'd pay £2500 tops for it. They had a minor update in 2000, and a better update in 2003 to include ohlins shock and 5 spoke marchisini wheels.
Good luck with it!

Pedro
18-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Have ridden Nik Codlings SS a few times and the FI motor is sweet, a bit moe top endy I thought than my carbed Monnie. What I don't get on with though is the riding position - pretty hard on the wrists and back esp at lower speeds.

lcjohnny
18-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Yup loads to worry about

like Range Rovers, Phobile Moan Users, gatsos, slippery roads, discrimination, sleet, in-car-television (!) & does the latest four cam two supercharger whassa-name fully represent the manly/womanly grandeur of my penis/clitoris (delete where not applicable)

For gods sake buy a ducati

:chuckle:

neilbaldry
19-02-2007, 02:20 PM
so it would be a good sporty tourer then? as it will be replacing my car, so will have to act like a two-wheeled car, except for the load carrying. i might use soft luggage on it, so i wanna get low cans and a biposto.

Zimbo
19-02-2007, 05:48 PM
It's not good for extended periods in town, too much weight on the wrists, but in the open countryside it's great :) did many a 300 mile day with no comfort problems at all.

sidrat
19-02-2007, 06:29 PM
i've had three, they are great fun, but not really a car replacement, too uncomfortable, i was glad when i finally bought a 999 for more comfort!!! I would have thought a monster would be far better

lcjohnny
19-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Its a strain chaps & chappesses

I need to do about 15-25k a year & arrive in a suit for work so ... I sold my reliable modern 4cyl bike & bought a Monster:banghead::banghead: :banghead: :toilet:

But I also bought a 60k mile Nissan Almera - coz like all cars are just Nissan Almeras with different logos :pedro: :pedro: :pedro: :pedro: :pedro: At least my one is cheap, reliable and red (like a ferarri and just as fast at 40mph!):ymca:

So for me the duke does not replace a car - but really any vehicle, except a ground attack Harrier with all stores, is ****e on the M4 at 8:30 between reading and slough so I want something safe and disposable :-0

smiles for miles
Jon

neilbaldry
20-02-2007, 09:26 AM
well, luckily my current position doesnt require me to work in a suit, and i also house share with 3 blokes i work with, and they all have cars. i wanted to get the 900ss so i can limit the amount of 'non-enjoyable' riding that wouldve been done on the monster. i want to keep the mileage down on it if i could help it. so it would basically be a well looked after hack that im after. i reckon i could get 3 grand for my car, so answers on a postcard (or you can post them on here) to what else i could get. i tried, but i cant do anything other than a Duc. and its gotta be more sporty than my S2R (in riding position at least).

Zimbo
20-02-2007, 05:05 PM
900SS then, fits the bill perfectly.