PDA

View Full Version : Rear End.....

John Lloyd
11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi anyone....
Ok....finally found the courage to post something....
Bought an S2R last year. Love it. Just never enough time to ride it.... kids, dog, wife, mother-in-law etc... but love it.
Want to fit a smaller plate....just wondered if there was an easy mod for this.
Also....looking at changing the pipes but not sure where to start....yes, I know, what a muppet. This is all new to me....but I do love it.
Any thoughts....
Thanks.
J
:dunce:

Bodybag
11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Don't worry about thinking you're a muppet. I was a newbie this time last year and didn't know the first thing about bikes (still don't) but I know a lot more about them then a year ago. No point being a member of a site like this if you don't ask questions.

For the plate I'd try www.malplates.co.uk as a start as they let you design your own. Go to the "Show Signs" section.

As for the pipes, depending how far you want to go, there's a million options. Termignoni's, Quat-D, Sil's, Zard etc. You also need to look at changing your air filter and airbox lid (depending on how racy your cans turn out to be. Then get it set up on a dyno properly so you notice a difference in the power as well as the noise.

Hope this helps.

Bodybag (Termi's, open airbox and race ECU)

P.S. Chop the tail, you know you want to (that should start the tailchop argument again). :mand:

Gadget
11-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi, Nice choice of wheels.

Welcome to the forum.

Order a number plate online. I got mine last year from Mal plates.

www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=174478

BB beat me to it.

Gim
11-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Welcome John, great to have another sussexite :thumbsup: cant help you much with the rear end though but there will be plenty here who can :)
Rob

Gim
11-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Don't worry about thinking you're a muppet. I was a newbie this time last year and didn't know the first thing about bikes (still don't) but I know a lot more about them then a year ago. No point being a member of a site like this if you don't ask questions.

For the plate I'd try www.malplates.co.uk as a start as they let you design your own. Go to the "Show Signs" section.

As for the pipes, depending how far you want to go, there's a million options. Termignoni's, Quat-D, Sil's, Zard etc. You also need to look at changing your air filter and airbox lid (depending on how racy your cans turn out to be. Then get it set up on a dyno properly so you notice a difference in the power as well as the noise.

Hope this helps.

Bodybag (Termi's, open airbox and race ECU)

P.S. Chop the tail, you know you want to (that should start the tailchop argument again). :mand:

Oh yes and here we go! I've seen a pic on here of someones bike with a total chop but cant remember whose it is. Thats the look I want to go for but have no idea what to do regarding repositioning the plate and indicators ???:confused: Well actually I've no idea what to do full stop :dunce:
Rob

Bodybag
11-02-2007, 08:13 PM
[/COLOR]

Oh yes and here we go! I've seen a pic on here of someones bike with a total chop but cant remember whose it is. Thats the look I want to go for but have no idea what to do regarding repositioning the plate and indicators ???:confused: Well actually I've no idea what to do full stop :dunce:
Rob

Loads of us have had a tail chop. Speak to jMo. She has created a complete tail chop kit with comprehensive instructions and everything you need to complete the task except tools. It even comes with a new rear light mounting bracket and allows you to use mostly standard parts. Here's a thread to read.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19704&highlight=tail+chop

Hope this helps.

Shandy
11-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi J, welcome to the club great bike :flag:

The best reason to keep the tray, it comes in handy when working on the bike,

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/Picture-1.jpg

From the S2R's ive seen with a chop done the cans seem to stick out the back to far beyond the end of bike an it looks well, a little odd IMO.

On the cans front my vote would be a set of termis :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shandy

Gilps
11-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I've done the tail chop on my S2r and its not too short for the standard cans. However, I've got the Termis fitted and they are a little longer than standard so I've either got to shorten the cans or change them for something shorter. I may get the standard cans cored out - it can be done. Search on here for the thread with instructions. You need to lose the cat though with cat eliminator pipes. It looks loads better.

Bodybag
11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi J, welcome to the club great bike :flag:

The best reason to keep the tray, it comes in handy when working on the bike,

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/Picture-1.jpg

From the S2R's ive seen with a chop done the cans seem to stick out the back to far beyond the end of bike an it looks well, a little odd IMO.

On the cans front my vote would be a set of termis :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Shandy

Shandy, I've got to be at your house on the day you finally complete your bike then realise you've got to ride it down the stairs to get it out. :mand: Can I, can I, can I. Please?

Shandy
11-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Shandy, I've got to be at your house on the day you finally complete your bike then realise you've got to ride it down the stairs to get it out. :mand: Can I, can I, can I. Please?

Yes mate no problem, im thinking of selling tickets for the event :chuckle: :chuckle:

Bodybag
11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Just noticed too, the wig in the background. I won't ask!!

John Lloyd
12-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Great.....thanks everyone. Feel a lot better now !
Will definitely have a look for the plate as suggested.....do I need a new bracket if the new plate is smaller or will it still fit ?

Re the pipes....may need some more help with this....but thanks anyway !

Thanks everyone for the replies.....couldn't get back last night....kids were hogging the pc for msn !

John

Gim
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Loads of us have had a tail chop. Speak to jMo. She has created a complete tail chop kit with comprehensive instructions and everything you need to complete the task except tools. It even comes with a new rear light mounting bracket and allows you to use mostly standard parts. Here's a thread to read.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=19704&highlight=tail+chop

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how the cans sicking out the back will look plus theres nowhere for the right indicator to go (built in with the tail light a possibility?) also the no plate will be to wide to fit alongside the pipes once its moved forward. I could get a smaller one but tend to think with loud pipes it just adds to plods armoury
Rob

Gadget
12-02-2007, 11:07 AM
.....do I need a new bracket if the new plate is smaller or will it still fit ?

John

No, it is just a bracket to hold the number plate on. Take the old plate off, position the new one, mark through the holes at the rear through the bracket with a felt tipped pen to align it correctly. Then drill the right sized holes and reassemble.

Bodybag
12-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure how the cans sicking out the back will look plus theres nowhere for the right indicator to go (built in with the tail light a possibility?) also the no plate will be to wide to fit alongside the pipes once its moved forward. I could get a smaller one but tend to think with loud pipes it just adds to plods armoury
Rob

This is Chappers old S2R with a tail chop. It works well and you can still mount the standard indicators properly if you follow jMo's instructions.

http://myspace-262.vo.llnwd.net/01458/26/24/1458664262_l.jpg

NickvP
12-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi,

My S2r has remained bog standard whilst I try & hunt down some aftermarket carbon pipes that come vaguely close to the originals in terms of position & looks. The Termis sound great but are too long and too expensive for boring old drain pipes.

The Sil Motos look Ok, especially in megaphone version, but are upswept not high-level shotgun; makes all the diff. !

I got a vague bit of interest from Quill, who are in the process of producing a tri-oval can along the same lines as their current removable baffle numbers. They said they could cut the length significantly where two pipes were used instead of one.

I'm sure there must be some UKMOC members who would buy some neatly mounted British pipes for their, S2r, S4r, S4rs's etc...

As for the tail chop, I just can't make my mind up, however, the beer tray idea appeals most of all so far!
Nick