PDA

View Full Version : Weather Between Norfolk and Wales

gremlin
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, can anyone give the real picture on state of roads cos I'm supposed to be picking up my bike tomorrow, and sensible head says I should wait until it's clear, but bike head says go for it. We'll be taking Landrover and trailer. I've waited so long and if we don't do it tomorrow I've got to wait for nearly a month cos of other halfs work commitments (next week in London, step daughter up following week followed by another week in London). I really really want to get beasty so I can change belts etc and get her ready for nice weather but if it's really bad it's not worth crashing for.:scratch:

Bodybag
08-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I've just driven from Liverpool to Colchester and the M6/A14 were all really clear. Took me just over 4 hours to do 280 miles, which averaged about 70mph (and I can't speed cos I'm on 9 points!!).

I must have driven with my eyes closed cos I didn't see any "Heavy" snow falls anywhere in the country. I must admit I'm getting bored of the weathermen telling us its going to be this, tha or the other and it never is!!

gremlin
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Cheers, we've filled the Landy up now so it would be a shame to waste the diesel! It's pretty nippy now but what the hell. It's amazing how the country grinds to a halt every time we have a bit of snow. How do other countries like Norway manage, it's pathetic really. I mean it's not as if we've never had any, if it was the Sahara and we suddenly got some I'd understand.

Jim66a
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Best get it fetched then, If owt'd do it then the Landrover will.

squiffything
09-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Gremlin it's a monster and you have a landie it could be 6 foot of snow for the whole trip but it would still be worth the trip to go and collect it. What are you still doing here go now quick drive through the night go go GO!!!

gremlin
09-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Well guys have finally got home. Left at 4 this morning, took 41/2 hours to get there, barely any snow. Left Newbridge on Wye at 1 this afternoon, what a nightmare!!!!! The A44 was chocca with abandoned lorries and cars. Some guy in a new Discovery told us we wouldn't get through, because of the depth of snow and all the abandoned vehicles. We didn't have a choice cos there was no room to turn round. All I can say is Landrovers are the best!!! Matilda ploughed through everything, even with the trailer occasionally deciding it wanted to go a different way. Gremlin got covered in all sorts of junk but I've cleaned her off and tucked her into bed. She's pretty good. Will need battery, the clutch is really light, too light so that will have to be investigated, the front brake is also too easy. There's a miniscule bit of paint missing on her tank, but that will be resprayed later. The end has gone off her clutch lever but I want to change those anyway. All in all rather satisfying, defying the weather and getting a reasonable bike into the bargain. All the news bulletins were on about was people staying in pubs and church halls cos they couldn't get home. It just takes a pair of pig headed bikers and a landy to prove them all wrong!!!