PDA

View Full Version : Anyone braved the snow on the bike today??

Combatxe2
08-02-2007, 07:38 AM
I class myself as an all weather biker, but decided to leave the bike at home today and get a lift.......am i just a light weight :chuckle: or was i being grown up????????

if you did go on the bike, fair play to you!!!!

bigredduke
08-02-2007, 07:44 AM
What snow?

slob
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Stuff that for a game of soldiers.

dustybin
08-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I class myself as an all weather biker, but decided to leave the bike at home today and get a lift.......am i just a light weight :chuckle: or was i being grown up????????

if you did go on the bike, fair play to you!!!!

I thought about biking in to work today but thought it was too dangerous so thought about taking the car. I then thought taking the car to work would be too dangerous so I am now taking my sons over to the local hills to go sledging which will also be dangerous but a lot more fun that work!

Combatxe2
08-02-2007, 07:50 AM
I thought about biking in to work today but thought it was too dangerous so thought about taking the car. I then thought taking the car to work would be too dangerous so I am now taking my sons over to the local hills to go sledging which will also be dangerous but a lot more fun that work!

Top Idea that man.......unfortunatly :rolleyes: im already at work so stuffed, might take one of the race cars out on slicks just for a laugh instead :cool:

Gim
08-02-2007, 07:57 AM
God bless the trusty land rover :woot: :banana:

CK & AK
08-02-2007, 07:59 AM
School is closed today :D

but my boss (I work in HQ) phoned me at 8.05 to tell me to go in :(

However, I had already spoken to a director & he said 'stay put'...... ha-ha, that shut her up :D

C, having done all the hoovering & cleaning bathroom etc during commuting time & now off out to play in the snow as it has stopped :D :D

Shandy
08-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Use a bike in snow, i don't go out in the rain!!!!!

Theres a good chance i won't even leave the house today (appart from maybe a lunch time snowman build), im due in Dublin in an hour i think i might be late :eyepopping:

squiffything
08-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Use a bike in snow, i don't go out in the rain!!!!!

Theres a good chance i won't even leave the house today (appart from maybe a lunch time snowman build), im due in Dublin in an hour i think i might be late :eyepopping:

Ah ha young man if you're not at work then get on with that bike rebuild i recon you could have it done by tea time if you get on with it :)

Headhunter
08-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Thought I'd leave her at home today to play in the snow.

We're at the top of a hill and the thought of going down it with freezing cold tyres didn't appeal. Could have been fun though.

Gadget
08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I rode to work by bike today. Still here and keeping an eye on the weather.
It was a bit slippery but not too bad. The worst is the snow stings your eyes once you get into 3rd gear.:look:

Darry
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I rode the bike to work today... wasn't too bad, it was actually warmer today than yesterday, just kept the speed down... the biggest problem was visibility.

Darry.

Mand
08-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Alex (my other half) has gone to work on the DRZ - I assume he got to work in one piece....... :D

Actually, on another note, why do people get so stressed about it snowing, it is winter for crying out loud!!!

It is almost as bad as people who moan it is too hot in the summer. Doh!

Chaos Inc.
08-02-2007, 02:06 PM
The tabogganing Monster

Woke up this morning. It's white, damn! Snow! Double damn. I like it and made a concerted effort to ride into work. Failed. Accident report. I live at the bottom of a hill, single road access, next to a canal. Get on bike, slowly start riding, all is fine. 50 yards from my front door hit drain cover cunningly disguised as a layer of snow. Down goes bike but no damage. Phew! Slowly pick it up, without dropping it again and on my own, which takes me about 10min. Continue riding and hit a speed bump, 10 yards along and at an angle, also cunningly disguised as a layer of snow. Down goes bike again. Sense should have prevailed at this point but I was going to ride to work. Eventually reach the bottom of the hill, which is of course only about 200 yards away from my front door. Start going up the hill and a third of the way up I stop moving. My rear tyre is just spinning and my feet are keeping the bike up. It is at this point that my bike rediscovers the lovely law of no friction, gravity and a hill and I discover what it is like to ride a bike sliding backwards down a hill.

All is fine, I bravely control the slide without dropping the bike and steadily approach my front door again. Ah well.

Aaaargh panic. Just realised that moment, snow and wieght of bike has now made me continue past my front door and I and bike are rapidly approaching the canal. Lee River Valley canal. Not a ditch but a drown your bike never to be seen again size canal. It is at this point that bravery says yer on yer own mate and flees. I choose the only recourse as I drop my bike while holding on hoping I provide enough friction and anchorage to stop it before dumping into the canal.

Luckily I succeed. return bike to parking and that is why I eventually got to work by public transport.

squiffything
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Pmsl, wiley coyote as his very best

Chaos Inc.
08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
That never occured to me but yes, quite appropriate.

NattyBoy
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Skived off today to play with my daughter outside...and the chav from round ther corner was out on his katana 50, spinning it up.

How I laughed when he slid down the road on his arse..!!!!

benson
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Oh Chaos - I hope you're OK and the bike too - after doing simething similar on a big hill about four years ago I decided never again to risk it on the ice/snow - anyway, as long as the bike is in one piece then all is well!!!

gary tompkins
08-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Stuff that for a game of soldiers.

Yep - ditto to that

Bodybag
08-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm with BRD on this one, "What snow?" I drove from Liverpool to Colchester today and managed it in a better time than I'll be able to do again for the rest of the year. I averaged 70mph. 4 hours, 280 miles. Won't be able to do that again now until the next "heavy" snowfall!! Admittedly I was in the car but even so, whats all the fuss about?

GULLY
08-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Not my cup of tea thanks.:eyepopping:

But i did see a nutter on a cb500 this morning sliding all over the road.:fou:

gully:eyepopping:

mrtony
08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Top marks for madness to anyone out on two wheels today!!:eyepopping:
Drove from Gloucester to Dagenham and back,(forgot my sandwiches!) and saw a couple of guys on the A40 bypass at Oxford,trickling along at about 15mph wearing out the soles of their boots along the way!! ( The mile Q of traffic behind looked pleased too.):grump:
Couldn't see the point of feet down,I managed to get some fairly decent wheel spin along the same stretch at 35mph,40 ton up!!
I guess if it's your only transport then no choice,but can't see the point of being a hero/ine!

scrumpster
08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=mrtony;192732]Top marks for madness to anyone out on two wheels today!!:eyepopping:
Drove from Gloucester to Dagenham and back,(forgot my sandwiches!) [QUOTE]

Excuse my denseness here, but you went all that way to get sandwiches you'd forgotten, or have I missed the point?? :dunce:

Paivi
08-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I was among the very few commuters this morning. Had no choice, as the tube network collapsed. http://wap.srb.co.yu/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif At a traffic lights, a BMW1200 rider said that of all the bikes he thought he might see today, he didn't think it'd be a Ducati. :D

Central London roads were just wet, with a bit of slush in corners. All changed around Tower Bridge, as I hit a snow storm: visibility went down to zero and the snow was settling on my visor.

Car drivers were being very cooperative and sensible and kept their distance.

mrtony
09-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Srumpster,I couldn't possibly comment on your point missing capacity!:rolleyes:

scrumpster
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Srumpster,I couldn't possibly comment on your point missing capacity!:rolleyes:

That's Scrumpster mrtony sir!

mrtony
10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
My most fawning apologies to you Scrumpster! :)

I would liked to have said that the "c" was missing from my keyboard,but that would have been a blatant lie as there are four others in the sentence!

I shall endeavour to improve my keybashing skills. :D