PDA

View Full Version : Electric At ExCel..............

Didge
02-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Jan & I went to the ExCel show yesterday. What a f**king rip-off. 16 quid each to get in and hardly any manufacturers stands. Ducati were there tho' so that was good.
Don't think we'll bother again.
I did have a test ride of the Vectrix electric scooter:-

http://www.vectrix.com/default.aspx?portal=3&page=1

I was very impressed with it. Very rapid accelleration, and very smooth. Low centre of gravity (batteries are low down in the frame), made for nice handling, and it felt nice and comfy.
Only touched the brake lever once just to try the brakes out, and they were extremely good. I was useing the regenerative brake the rest of the time. This involved twisting the 'throttle' grip forwards from the off position, and used the motor to slow the bike, which it did so very efficiently. Whilst useing this system, the motor slows the bike down by, in laymans terms, becoming a generator and putting some charge back in the batteries. Regenerative braking is almost as old as electric motors themselves, and is a bloody brilliant system.
Overall, it has potential for a cheap to run commuter bike, or hack. The problem with it tho', besides the rather high purchase price of about £7,000, is it's range (approx. 60 miles between charges, riding it at it's full potential), and it's top speed of 50mph.
Honda have a concept electric scooter that is capable of 80mph, and a range of well over a 100 miles between charges.
I reckon that in the next couple of years, electric 2 wheelers will start to come into their own, so I'll wait a few years before changing my hack (Burgman 400), and going electric.
I wish Vectrix well for their launch in March, as it needs companies like them to push forward and make available to the commuting masses, electric 2 wheelers, which have many, many advantages over petrol engines.
Their first models tho', are not quite up to what many people need, but as I said, in a few years time, who knows?

Will
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Was there a BMW stand?

fatbloke
02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Was there a BMW stand?

no Ducati are the only manufactures with a stand

slob
02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I love it when electric vehicle manufacturers proudly proclaim

"Zero emissions"

but fail to mention the bloody great coal-fired power station required to charge the batteries.

JamesH
02-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Very cool, but i'd prefer one of these!!!!!!!

http://www.electricmoto.com/electricmoto.php?id=specs_blade

Fun!

J H

Didge
03-02-2007, 10:36 AM

Terry, there were 3 maufacturer stands. Ducati, BMW & KTM, but that was it.

slob
03-02-2007, 11:07 AM

It's a show custom designed for Joo & Roo.

gary tompkins
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM

What!!! only 3 stands... I thought the turnout at last years Ally Pally show was a low, but that is just a joke :mad:

So much for all the friggin hype in MCN - Oh well we've pre-booked tickets for Sunday now so may as well make the most of it. Need some gear anyway and trade stands seem to be there in quantity, even if the majority of bike manufacturers can't be arsed :banghead:

Albie
03-02-2007, 06:40 PM
DUCATI and BMW and KTM stands should be proud of themselves. Rest should be ashamed. Jap bikes. Two a penny. Plenty of gear to be bought.One pice leathers for £99;)

JMo
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Jan & I went to the ExCel show yesterday. What a f**king rip-off. 16 quid each to get in and hardly any manufacturers stands.

Totally agree, I was very dissappointed... £9 for the car park too (should have paid the £3 per hour, as we'd seen everything after two hours...)

The food hall was rip off too - £2 for a small coffee and £4+ for a bagle sandwich is obscene...

The idea to have the 'catagories' of bikes grouped together might have appeared a good plan in principle (so you could try each for size in the same place), but the reality was half a dozen machines in each group, some of which (such as the sports bikes) you couldn't actually sit on anyway - duh!

Glad that BMW and KTM made effort along with Ducati, but it is pretty lame if you can't get Honda and the other big Japanese manufacturers along too - afterall, individually they all sell more bikes then the 3 above put together!

Oh, Red Dog Motorcycles had trolled out their usual motley collection of obscurities there too, but it's everything we have seen before...

And the trade stands (although of higher quality than the typical Ally Pally fare) were very thin on the ground I thought - half the second hall was taken up with the MCN stage, sparce seating area and a bar, and what was the bloody great scalextric track doing in the main hall?!

They might have (technically) had more floor space than Ally Pally, but there was far less to see and buy, with gaps all over the place...

What was it Jonny Rotten said?

"Ever get the feeling..."

xxx

Headhunter
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Today was the first one I have ever attended and hopefully they can only get better. Thought the bike park was more interesting than the actual show!

Was good to see the 1098 and meet some faces from the forum though.

Julie
04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
KTM were there with a stand.

fatbloke
04-02-2007, 05:00 PM
KTM were there with a stand.
so Didge said earlier but of course i only have eyes for Ducati

CK & AK
04-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Today was the first one I have ever attended and hopefully they can only get better. Thought the bike park was more interesting than the actual show!

Was good to see the 1098 and meet some faces from the forum though.

Good to meet you today, sorry if I wasnt too conversational, but my head was still rather muzzy......

C:)

Pedro
04-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Jan & I went to the ExCel show yesterday. What a f**king rip-off. 16 quid each to get in and hardly any manufacturers stands. Ducati were there tho' so that was good.
Don't think we'll bother again.
I did have a test ride of the Vectrix electric scooter:-

http://www.vectrix.com/default.aspx?portal=3&page=1

Didge mate, that thing is almost as ugly as you :eek:

You'd have to ride it with a bag over your head.... well you should anyway....:chuckle:

Shandy
04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Didge mate, that thing is almost as ugly as you :eek:

You'd have to ride it with a bag over your head.... well you should anyway....:chuckle:

If it came with the doris that was drapped over it when we walked past id happily have had one, didn't realy notice the bike :D

Headhunter
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Good to meet you today, sorry if I wasnt too conversational, but my head was still rather muzzy......

C:)

:chuckle: Was good to meet you too. Wish I spruced up as well as you do with a hangover! :D