PDA

View Full Version : clean wheels

royston
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi again all,
Now some of you guys /gals must be running those white alloy wheels.....mine are black but I am at a bit of a loss as to what degreasing agent to clean them with. Normal Car wash stuff isnt strong enough and some of the degreasers out there may be to strong for painted alloys...any advice is much appreciated...
Cheers
Roy
ps; I should add that its a new bike so I dont know if these are covered with some sort of protection when they leave the factory but they did look nice and clean when I left the dealer...

Scotty
02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
wd 40 or similar is good for oily chain gunk and tar

but i find break dust a bit of a git

Didge
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Spray WD40 onto a soft cloth, and wipe the wheels with it. It not only removes ALL the crud, but also leaves a protective film on the wheel. I've used this method for years on wheels ranging from white to black, and nothing cleans wheels and other parts like WD40

Never underestimate the abilities of WD40.;)

GULLY
02-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi
This nite sound a bit :gay:
but Johnson baby wipes do a top job on getting off chan oil and tar
and clean up the wheels nicey.

Pedro
02-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Spray WD40 onto a soft cloth, and wipe the wheels with it. It not only removes ALL the crud, but also leaves a protective film on the wheel. I've used this method for years on wheels ranging from white to black, and nothing cleans wheels and other parts like WD40

Never underestimate the abilities of WD40.;)

Worth rinsing the wheels first though Didge to get rid of any loose dust or grit that may scratch the paint.

Darry
02-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Either clean them using muck-off when cleaning the bike, or for a quick touch up (oo-er missus), use flash wipes... leaves them clean and smelling of lemons.

Darry.

Gilps
02-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Mine are black not white but, if it's just chain lube then I have found the best thing is Mr Sheen. It leaves them sparkly too. Didge is right about WD40. It does make them easier to clean next time too, but I found if used when its a bit dusty, like the height of Summer, then the dust is attracted to the WD40 and takes the shine off a little.
All together now "My Sheen shines umpteen things clean".

NattyBoy
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Yep..all of the above.

Missed you by 5 minutes at riches earlier Gilps. Saw the DD steed...need a stand in rider mate ?...:thumbsup: ;)

Gilps
02-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Yep..all of the above.

Missed you by 5 minutes at riches earlier Gilps. Saw the DD steed...need a stand in rider mate ?...:thumbsup: ;)

I'll let you know when I get back from testing in Spain. If I scare myself silly on the thing then you might be in with a shout.:woot:

My long term plan is to get this season out of the way and then just manage the team. I would like to be able to give a chance to a younger rider who may not have the money to run their own bike, but fancies having a go. They can do just one season riding for me, then they're on their own, and I'll give the next hopeful a shot. That's my thinking at the moment, but once I get racing I may not want to give up the seat. You don't qualify coz you can afford your own bike, and you're not young!

Hopefully see you on Sunday.

Headhunter
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Either clean them using muck-off when cleaning the bike, or for a quick touch up (oo-er missus), use flash wipes... leaves them clean and smelling of lemons.

Darry.

Same as Darry. Muck-off degreaser or good ol' Mr Sheen - "shifts, shields and shines!"

royston
02-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions Guys.
Cheers
Roy

JamesH
02-02-2007, 11:35 PM
I would like to be able to give a chance to a younger rider who may not have the money to run their own bike, but fancies having a go.

Ooh ooh, me, me!!!!!

I'm young, have a couple of years enduro experience and have a good pedigree when it comes to road racing. I'm sure Dad'll be along soon to say something along the lines of "as soon as you win an enduro then i'll pay for some supermoto". Alright maybe i'm dreaming, but i'm putting in some good gym time for this season. Plus He'd probably like me to finish Uni first, lol.

James

bigredduke
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi
This nite sound a bit :gay:
but Johnson baby wipes do a top job on getting off chan oil and tar
and clean up the wheels nicey.

I tried some babywipes today on my wheels & single-sided swing arm- brilliant!
They were pampers though!

They are also good for cleaning flies off leathers and boots as well!

GULLY
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I tried some babywipes today on my wheels & single-sided swing arm- brilliant!
They were pampers though!

They are also good for cleaning flies off leathers and boots as well!
Hi Bigredduke
Do your wheels look like new?
Do not rub the leather to hard it will take the colour out.

tricks of the trade old boy
Gully

Gilps
03-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Ooh ooh, me, me!!!!!

I'm young, have a couple of years enduro experience and have a good pedigree when it comes to road racing. I'm sure Dad'll be along soon to say something along the lines of "as soon as you win an enduro then i'll pay for some supermoto". Alright maybe i'm dreaming, but i'm putting in some good gym time for this season. Plus He'd probably like me to finish Uni first, lol.

James

Blimey, you are keen. Let me get this season out of the way first then we'll see what happens next year. Good luck with the first win.

bigredduke
03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Bigredduke
Do your wheels look like new?
Do not rub the leather to hard it will take the colour out.

tricks of the trade old boy
Gully

Don't know, 'cos I bought the bike SH but they have come up a treat (not that they are ever that mucky as I don't ride in crappy weather!

Top tip though!