PDA

View Full Version : World Ducati Week

w108rna
31-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone

Just wondering, has anyone ever been to this event at one of its locations around the Globe? It is in Misano this year from the 28th June-1st July. I am thinking about a bit of European riding, and this seems to good an opportunity to miss.

So, anyone been before or thinking of going?

(apologies if this has been posted out before)

NattyBoy
31-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I went to the last one and its a must for any ducati fan. I could drip on all day about how good it is - take in some amazing roads and scenery on the way down, meet all your heroes in a relaxed atmosphere, do a few laps of misano, get a very attractive lady in a skimpy bikini to shampoo your bike, get some clothing and accessory bargains in 'ducati outlet', free massage tents, best bike comps, club tents from all over the world, gigs and beer, beach down the road, ducati factory tour and museum, ferrari museum less than an hour away..

Have I sold it yo you yet ???!! :D :D

w108rna
01-02-2007, 07:21 AM
That really does sound rather very tempting. Just need to find someone silly enough to want to come with me now. You see, i am the only Ducati owner in the village. Need to start badgering my friends to buy Ducati's!!!
Is anyone else going???

sadbiker
02-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Had put on a thread about this the other week, I have been to the factory 2 years ago on my last bike (Honda) with my other halfs 620 in tow. I am severley tempted about going, but don't think my other half wants to do the trek. So am also wondering if anyone else is thinking of going.
When we did the factory we did it as 10 days going via the Petite St Bernards pass between France and Italy, through have been advise a better route would be to get nearer to Milan and then move down. The roads we found once out of the foothills of the Alps were boring, congested and to be honest on way back from factory we sat on the Autostrada back to the foothills of the Alps and then enjoyed the real roads.

If you have any suggestions I am listening ?

w108rna
02-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Had put on a thread about this the other week, I have been to the factory 2 years ago on my last bike (Honda) with my other halfs 620 in tow.

Hi there. Just out of interest, roughly what sort of miles did you cover once entering France and travelling to the factory? I know its gonna be a long trip, and i've looked into using MotoRail part of the way (sit down if you consider this, it ain't cheap!). Did you find places to stay easy enough on route or camp out. I have lots of questions as i have never done a European trip before.

Thanks

Mark

sadbiker
02-02-2007, 10:40 AM
We stopped at hotels along the way, upto Macon we had friend with us but his Falco broke down at the first sight of the Alps and he had to limp it back to UK.
from Memory we did 2 nights getting down to Macon, then stopped a night on other side of alps in Aossi (spelt wrong) then down to a hotel round the corner by the factory, Can't remember the mileages but we went with the idea of leaving hotels by about 9 and then looking for a hotel for the night by about 5pm.

We have heard about the train and met up with someone who had did it to near Lake Annecy , would be honest it is very tempting as by the time you add up the wear and tear, petrol and a hotel stop plus some boring roads on the way down in France it does have + points.

As for finding hotels the French and Italians are very friendly torwards bikers. Most even put our bikes in their own garages.

I do suspect daily we were doing 300 to 400 miles. Personally I find if you go at brake neck speeds day in day out trying to get there you end up to shattered.

w108rna
02-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Hello 'sad biker'

Thanks for the info. I looked into the train and it was coming back at 1000 pounds+! Thats a lot of wear and tear money, but no neck pain, boring roads etc etc like you said. I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for this one as i really do fancy the trip!!! What price do you put on the cost of a good holiday these days??

Mark

CK & AK
02-02-2007, 10:58 AM
I dont know if you are also a DSC member?
There are plans for 3 different methods of going - ride each way, truck bikes & fly to collect them, or just fly without taking a bike.
Info is likely to be out next week so I am told :)

banditloon
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM
get a very attractive lady in a skimpy bikini to shampoo your bike

I get that in Chelsea every weekend ;) The girlfriend likes a Monster (of the Ducati variety!).

Back on subject, I've seen some pictures and reports from the earlier meetings, and all reports have been excellent! If I had the cash and wasn't already booked up for a fortnight away this year, I'd jump on the bike and bimble over!

Then again, maybe I should anyway :D

sadbiker
02-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I didn't think train was that expesnive, thought it was more like a few hundred pounds.... Will have to have another look... The only good news about the boring roads is past Macon they are great................

w108rna
02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I didn't think train was that expesnive, thought it was more like a few hundred pounds....

I stand corrected, hopefully you can find some cheaper deals than i could. I only had a quick serach on a few sites and couldn't find much at all.

Good luck, keep us posted.....

Paivi
03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Return on the French motorail would come to about £1,000. The price is for the bay, so you can squeeze two bikes there. The thing to know about the motorail is that they only do these routes on certain days: outbound to Nice on Fridays, inbound to Calais on Saturdays.

I did a factory visit last September and yes, if you stick to motorways, they can be boring, although the Italian and French motorways can have pretty amazing scenery, too.

I left London around 9am, overnighted in Troyes (nr Dijon) around 7pm; next day couldn't leave Dijon area until mid-afternoon as had to get a new brake lever (oops), so had to overnight in Chamonix instead of carrying on all the way to the Lakes. This was all done within speed limits throughout, as well as frequent stops, so I'd say a normal rider would probably get close to Chamonix by the evening of the first day and then get to Misano by the end of the second one. Just be careful on the Italian motorways in the dark: the lorry traffic on the motorways is terrifying in the dark; they have huge artics overtaking each other, and in turn being overtaken by another artic.

A few guys from www.ducatisti.co.uk are riding down, so you're welcome to tag along, I'm sure. I'd go but it's too hot for a Scandi, nor does the idea of bikini clad bimbos washing my bike appeal to me. http://wap.srb.co.yu/forum/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

sadbiker
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Well if train costs so much looks like and have just looked at Motorail prices
Sat 30 Jun£510 one way so stand corrected on price, so this would still work out at min of £500 each for both ways if 2 bikes are allowed in birth...

So banged the following into AutoRoute, From Bristol to Misano,

SUMMARY
Driving distance: 1089.3 miles
Trip duration: 1 day, 7 hours, 41 minutes
Driving time: 14 hours, 58 minutes
Cost: £94.79

Looks like it chose the Fast roads. Starting at 09:00 and stopping at 17:00. I have put in normal MPH figures for roads, BUT knowing that the looking at the map makes it look easy I would highlight travelling across Europe makes you realise how big it is.... What you thought was as small road on the map to blast across ends up being hours and hours...

But this gives you an idea. One good suggestion and what we did last year was get the tunnel, travelling down the night before and stopping at a Hotel nearby. Getting first train in morning giving you a fresh start

As you can see below it gives a reasonable mileage to be broken up over 2 days.

SUMMARY
Driving distance: 841.9 miles
Trip duration: 1 day, 4 hours, 13 minutes
Driving time: 11 hours, 54 minutes
Cost: £73.12

So lots of mileage ...

Question, for those who have been before, what did you do about accomendation, I don't fancy carrying tents around with me... Did Ducati lay anything on at the track or assist with finding local accomendation?

JR
07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Pel,
Your costs are only one way, and dont forget the charges at the toll booths in France and France/Italy border. Plus if you go via Switzerland you have to purchase a vignette if your on 4/6/8 wheels - not sure about bikes. I went down to the Ferrari factory in Marenello a couple of weeks ago via the Mont Blanc Tunnel - I presume bikes pay as well (56euro's for a van - return), so that is another cost.

sadbiker
07-02-2007, 10:08 AM
JR, my costs were only for petrol, Personally I try to stay away from Tolls unless needing to avoid ****e roads .. Yes the Mont Blanc Tunnel is chargable for bikes. I would say budget £50 to 100 for tolls and for one night hotel on route say about £30
so a one way by bike should be no more that £200. And I would be surprised if it hit that.

JR your not going that way about the 28th June are you in the Van ?????????

JR
07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Pel,
I am in the "Same Day" business - dont know what i am doing this afternoon, never mind June!

sadbiker
07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Worth a try.....

JR
08-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Pel, Looking at your price for motorail if two of you went, it would still cost 500 quid for the train (which is not flexible in terms of fitting in with Ducati week), plus ferry from calais to dover, plus petrol back to Bristol. If you can get 3 people I could get 3 of you from Bristol (or in your case WSM) to Missano for £570 each, which includes, bike, rider, tent, luggage, etc, etc fully insured. No wear and tear on the bikes (nor the extra 2000 odd miles on the engine).

JR
08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Pel, Forgot to mention, that is a return price.

JR

sadbiker
08-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Train is out of question, dates don't match... Personally I would love to turn it into a little tour. But thanks for the offer, Luckily or Unluckily as it was, I managed to wipe 4000 miles of my S2R when it was replaced. Could do with putting some proper mileage on the one I have now as engine is no where as good as the last one... Still need to get round to banging on the arrows as well........

Grumpy
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi folks, I've done the run down to this area of italy several times, including 2 wdw's. Personally the only way to travel is by bike and cross country thro' france and switzerland. Yes you are ment to buy a carnet for switzerland, but i've found that it you enter switzerland via a 'B' class road , no one stops you, so you don't pay it's as if the authorities ar'nt interested!.
As for the route into Italy, i've been over the Simplon, Gt St Bernard, & the Little St Bernard pass, the are all spectacular, but the Little St Bernard is in my opinion the best. Once in Italy I have generally found the main roads interesting , so have stuck to motorways.
For the trip back try going into france over on of the many passes, awesome.
Generally allow 3 days both ways for a relaxing ride, you can do the trip in 2 days but it is knackering!
Enjoy and hope this helps.

crust
08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
The Swiss vignette is only required if you intend to use their motorway system, otherwise not necessary.

:)Crust

Bumblebee
23-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi there,

On the subject of getting down to WDW, please read my posting in the Yorkshire section. We are transporting our bikes down to WDW, cost is £395, return, full insured, plus leathers and helmets etc. Then we fly down Ryanair for £25 plus tax return. Sounds a whole lot cheaper than monorail. We have some spaces on our trailer , so if anyone is interested I can provide more details.

Cheers

BB