PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

DukeChick620
27-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi all, just though i would introduce myself, i am a 20 year old female who has just bought a 2002 monster 620 dark, matt black. just thought i would ask a few questions. Does anyone now where i can get a restrictor kit and a lowering kit for the bike as i am a short ar** and can barely touch the floor if you could get in contact and let me no , it would be much appreciated. hope to here from you soon :look:

manwithredbike
28-01-2007, 12:25 AM
hi there. welcome along. nice choice of bike (except for the colour which should really be red :) why the restriction?? some on here have done seat mods to get their feet closer to the ground. try a search, i'm sure both subjects have been covered here.

DukeChick620
28-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Cheers for the advice i really am useless with navigating around forums. Needs to be restricted coz im still on a restricted licence for another year and a half yet, although I may just re-take a das test next month when I turn 21!!!

crust
28-01-2007, 01:18 AM
hi, welcome to the club.

another monster in Reading, nice one

no idea about your questions though, sorry

You could try Snells the Ducati dealer in Alton

or MTC in the Oxford Road might be able to help you.

:) Crust

Scotty
28-01-2007, 10:12 AM
if its only a month then you would be better waiting and doing the DAS , rather than faffing about with restrictors, and besides its crap rideing weather , your not missing much

threes a search box up the top there somewhere theres plent vretically challanged people on here who have made/discussed a few mods

droping yokes down the fork's , a shorter/adjustable rear ride height rod (if thats what its called) , resculpted seats can be made , and best of all high heals :rolleyes:

squiffything
28-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Scotty you've been told before about your high heel fetish!! :)

welcome to the club from another shortie Jaq. and take no notice of those red monsters they are all flash the black one is the choice for real monsters

dlloyduk
28-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Seat probably the best bet.
Please dont do what one SA bloke did where I go.
He Rides a Honda Pan and is an advanced instructer-Had two pairs of extra thick soles glued on to his boots! No really-I did not believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.
Rides up looking like a fluro copper and gets of looking like Ziggy Stardust!:thumbsdown: The brunt of many a P***s take.

DukeChick620
28-01-2007, 11:06 AM
hey all thanks for your help with my vertically challenged problems. as for riding weather you should enjoy riding all year round whether its raining or not, plus today is an absolutely perfect day shame i don't have my bike yet, where would anyone suggest doing your das test. i did my last test with lighteneing would ou recomend i go back to them. ty for you help J :freak:

gary tompkins
28-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Hi and welcome to the UKMOC

You can get bolt on restrictor kits for carbed monsters, but not sure how they do this on the injected models? As Crust said I'd contact a few local dealers about supply and fitting, or as you mentioned wait until you can do a DAS and ride the bike un-restricted?

You can get a lowered seat as an aftermarket add-on for later monsters, or modify the existing one and get it re-covered, and as Scotty said there's some scope to drop the suspension back & front too. Should be possible to drop an inch off the seat height, but any more than that may restrict ground clearance on corners.

bod
28-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Welcome

Think the restrictor kit on the fuel injected models is done by limiting the opening of the throttle on the bar,or so I have read somewhere.

As for being a short ar*e(sorry vertically chalanged) try letting some air out of the tyres about 20PSI that should give you a couple of extra inches, as it were:cool:

Pedro
28-01-2007, 10:00 PM
For the shorter of leg...

1. Get the stock seat reshaped to take a little height out
2. Drop the yokes down the forks a little - warning, this will speed up the steering!
3. Take a box with you to stand on... :chuckle:

Welcome to the club, great choice of bike! Just watch out for the Berks rep (Mr Crust) especially if your eating.... :chuckle:

Shandy
28-01-2007, 10:08 PM
For the shorter of leg...

1. Get the stock seat reshaped to take a little height out
2. Drop the yokes down the forks a little - warning, this will speed up the steering!
3. Take a box with you to stand on... :chuckle:

or,

4. Tie blocks of wood to your feet :chuckle:

sorry couldn't help myself, not a problem i suffer with if anything im to tall :rolleyes:

Welcome to the club by the way :flag:

Cheers,

Shandy

benson
28-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi hon - don't do the restrictor thingy - wait for that extra month and spend the money on getting the ride height sorted - Daytona boots will certainly add you a little bit of height - they're bloomin good and the goretex does exactly what it says on the tin!!!

In reading you're not that far from Dave Woods in Aylesbury (well - not really really far!!!) and he can sort you out no worries with the height options - MCN also have upholsterers listed who can do the seat mod for you.

Happy riding and best of luck for the test whichever one you choose!!!

DukeChick620
28-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Cheers all, my hubby says he will have a go at shaving the seat. Not a problem for him though as he's 6'4. If he buggers up the seat (which he wont) ive found a nice seat at corbin. Yeah definately tempted to do my DAS. Although I wonder if they would have one short enough for me :D lol. Also strangely nervous about doing my test again. :on:

scrumpster
29-01-2007, 01:57 PM
I have built up boots, Melnie Mouse recommended them and though they aren't cheap they are bl**dy good but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the make, erm german, erm now it's doing my head in, oh to grow old!!! Anyway welcome to the club and I'm sure someone will save me with the answer soon!!! :look:

SazzaG
29-01-2007, 02:21 PM
How short are you?

I'm 5'2" and short in the leg (27"), and I had about 1" taken off my seat - shave the sides as well, as it helps the legs go down straighter. (Unfortunately, the company that did it aren't in business any more) I can just get the balls of both feet on the ground, or one foot flat by slightly shifting my weight. It feels scary at first, but as you get more confident, you won't find it a problem.

As for doing your DAS, I did mine on a stock GS500. Just ask the instructors what they use, as there are plenty of short people out there wanting to pass their tests!

Welcome to the fold!

Saz

scrumpster
29-01-2007, 08:57 PM
DAYTONA That's the make of boot, sorry about earlier had rather a lot on my mind today but I'm back to normal functioning now ;)

DukeChick620
29-01-2007, 09:16 PM
thanks guys for all your helpful info i will be taking my das test, and pasing it first time again i think though i will struggle with the u turn on a bigger bike. Also does anybody know of anywhere that does a 2 day crash course in das ty Jacqui :dizzy:

CK & AK
29-01-2007, 09:20 PM
you will be suprised at how much more easy it is to turn a naked jap bike than an italian one;)

Good luck with the test (and just keep saying you CAN do the u-turn)
If you can stretch to 3 or 4 days plus test, you will feel a lot more at home on the bike too, giving yourself a better chance of passing.
Really depends on how much road experience you have methinks (that is a general 'you' not personal - IYSWIM?)

CK, also shortlegged :)

benson
29-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Just remember to keep looking up - not down at the road - and CK is SO right - Italian bikes and u turns don't really mix that well, the bike you take the test on will be much better - and I would recommend you give yourself as much road time on the bike as you can so you can really feel confident on the bike...

Good luck and happy monstering!!

Benson

singletrack
29-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I too am short-legged, and ride a Monster with a lowered seat, whilst wearing Daytona "built up" boots.

I did my first test on a CB500 with a cut away seat, but did not manage the U turn. I found it easy on the second test on a GS500 - in some ways the U turn is easier on a 500 because the extra power and the fact you are part of the bike, rather than just sitting on it.
The best thing to do is go to your local bike school and ask them to do an assessment - they will then tell you whether to do the direct access over 2/3 or 4 days.
My hubby had a ridden 125 for a while before his course and did a 3 day DAS, whereas I had never ridden a bike at all and did mine over 5 days (inc CBT).

Melnie Mouse
30-01-2007, 09:58 AM
DAYTONA That's the make of boot, sorry about earlier had rather a lot on my mind today but I'm back to normal functioning now ;)

Yes I wear them too, it's the Daytona Lady Star, also a M-Star for men. Best thing is, they don't look like they have a heel from the outside so nobody needs to know (ideal if you're a short man), they're goretex and very comfy, and have 3quarters of an inch taller, so gives you that extra bit of confidence.
Any daytona stockist will sell them and like you said, not cheap but worth it, cos everything is fixable, new zips, new soles re-goretexed etc etc, for bout 60 quid, original price of 235.00, mine lasted 4 and half years before i needed re-sole and re-goretex done at same time made sense too, most boots with the amount of miles i do, last for about 2years, so definately worth it.

Good luck

kathb
30-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm a shorty too, but am just about able to manage without having the seat taken down - I've had the suspension and forks lowered. It certainly makes riding fun! My legs were too short for the school bikes so I ended up doing my DAS on a 125. I've another 18 months before the restrictor can be taken off :(

Pugi
30-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi and welcome!
Don't worry about being short. On the Monster I'm for the first time ever just the right size. You should see how ridiculous the tall victims of puberty make the sweet looks of the Monster 2nd in attention riser.

DukeChick620
04-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Kath how have you got your bike restricted?

kathb
04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
I'll let you know once I've had a chat with my boyfriend. All I know is that he took it into some place in Cirencester and they fitted a Ducati kit to it. Sorry, I am completely and utterly non technically minded, I leave all of that to my boyfriend. :(

DukeChick620
05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
thanks kath hope to here where its fitted to the bike soon

gremlin
05-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hooray for short arses! I'm 5' 1" and can just get points down on stock monster but they can lower really well apparantly. Talking to the guys on the Ducati stand at Excel, lowering front and back will keep handling fairly standard. I'm doing DAS on riding school bike, a very low Kawasaki ER5 cos they turn easier and I'm not confident on U turns. I wanted to use my baby but the talk of turning circles put me off. Mind you when does anyone do a both feet up turn in the pub carpark, most people do it one foot down. Good luck and enjoy your bike.

zxebeast
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM
as for riding weather you should enjoy riding all year round whether its raining or not, plus today is an absolutely perfect day shame i don't have my bike yet, where would anyone suggest doing your das test. i did my last test with lighteneing would ou recomend i go back to them. ty for you help J :freak:

hey dukechick

i used to live in Readin and did the das there with lightnin' and recommend you do the same. the instructors are solid good (except william ha ha). Steve is a very laid back dude, also the MAG rep for thames valley and now has become a good buddy. Alan is also quality (dunno if he's still there).

as for ridin in all weathers. take it from me, my duke is my only form of transport and im proud to have been out there almost every day since last summer includin crossin flooded roads with 20 inches of water and skidin on icy bends. all this fallin down only once :shocked:.

;)

banditloon
06-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Evening DukeChick

As someone said earlier, go to your local bike school and do take an assesment ride. The instructors will be able to advise you on the length of time to do the DAS.

As for being a short arse, well I've found no problem with the Monster. Being built like a GP racer myself (5'6), I've found it comfortable and easy to manage (compaired to my Bandit!). Seat foam can be cut away to lower the height, the Daytona boots are good (not that I wear them!), and most of all just have confidence in your riding :D It all fits together easily :D

DukeChick620
11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Yay!!! Finally picked up the bike yesterday. Well hubby drove it and he cant believe how much fun they are to drive. It looks great sounds ok. (Need termi's me thinks) Oh and a DAS test!:chuckle:

Paivi
11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm about 5'3" and almost perfect height for the new 695 which is just 1cm lower than the 620.

I'm OK with the stock seat, but find the DP comfort (aka gel, aka touring) seat makes a small difference.

I very seldom need to put both my feet on the ground, and certainly never need to flatfoot it. When I'm parking it, I have no problems in getting off and pushing it, or asking for help. I tend to ride with people I know and they now automatically come and park my bike for me, and nobody thinks I'm less of a biker, just a shorter one.

Have a look at the Bikegirl site article (http://www.bikegirl.co.uk/resources/newbies/vertically_challenged.html) for some very good advice for vertically challenged riders.

As for U-turns on your bike, well I keep saying that the colour is not the only thing my bike has in common with a London bus, I literally need an airfield to turn. Your instructor should know that Ducatis are somewhat limited, and if you keep failing, s/he often tries it too to see if it's physically possible in that space. But, in any case, you should practice. Just go round an abandoned car park in ever decreasing circles.

Bodybag
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
The U-turn is a two part section of the test. The Instructor/tester will make you get off the bike and push it from one side of the road to the other. This is for no other reason than to prove that the bike will be able to carry out the manoeuvre. Then you have to get on the bike and ride it back to the original start point. I think its the Instructor/testers responsibility to ensure the road is suitable for the bike to be able to carry this out. SOmeone will no doubt be along to confirm or deny this.

Hope this helps.

Bodybag

gremlin
11-02-2007, 04:04 PM
Hope you're right, but what happens when you struggle to move the bike when off it? I really struggle cos I've got a dodgy back, perhaps I'll have to get really friendly with the examiner!!

kathb
15-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi Jackie,

Finally, I've found out where the restrictor kit is fitted - to the manifold. I restricts the flow of air, thus reducing the bhp.

Hope this is of use to you,

Kath