PDA

View Full Version : Olympics 2012. What do you think about it?

dlloyduk
24-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Am I alone in thinking we will be embarrassed by our Olympics 2012 bid? I see on the news reports that already costs are escalating and talks of being over a billion £,s over budget and I don't think anyone has even bought a spade yet! Its not much more than 5 years away and I would have expected to be seeing pictures of massive construction projects on the news, and not discussions about who is going to pay for it. Should this have not all been sorted out before placing a bid?:scratch:

Or will it be a massive success with completed stadiums popping out of the ground as if by magic in early 2011, making me look like Mr.Negative?:yoparty:

J.P
24-01-2007, 08:22 AM
One can only say that if the Greeks can pull it off just before the opening ceremony, then we at least have a fighting chance !!

dustybin
24-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think I can remember a major world games event (world cup, commenwealth games,olympics) that hasn't been over budget and behind schedule. I think we will pull it off and it will be an excellent event, not to mention the improved roads and tube links that we will have as a result. The only concern will be how much everyones council tax will go up to pay for it.

Gadget
24-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Crafty Ken will use this as an excuse to clobber more already over burdened, tax paying motorists. I can see a congestion zone extending to cover the complete "Olympic Village". That will be most of East London. It will start as "just during the games" and end...
Once a tax is introduced, and let’s face it the congestion charge is a form of taxation, it is seldom if ever revoked. Then there are the laws surrounding VAT. Once VAT is applied to a product we are bound by European law to keep paying it. Gas and Electricity prices are the most politically damaging application of VAT that I can think of.
I do not know if VAT is levied on the congestion charge but if it is it will be here for ever.

You shouldn’t get me started.

Bloody sportsmen, Politicians, Pop, Soap and Films Stars should all be audited. And if there is a single penny siphoned into their greedy, grubby little pockets then they should all be guillotined then shot.:biggrin: :biggrin:

gremlin
25-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Perhaps they ought to make footballers take a wage cut to pay for it, everything would be done within the year! PS Shot then guillotined may be better they'll suffer more!