PDA

View Full Version : Wiring an After Market Tach

eonan
27-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to wire an after market tach to their Monster?

I'm wanting to fit this one from Motogadget to a 900 Monster, but before I buy one, obviously want to find out whether it is even possible?

Cheers folks.

Zimbo
27-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I've got a DP tach on the race 600 monster, works well. I wouldn't like to guarantee others will though, all depends on the pickup they need. Nattyboy had some DP ones around a few months back

eonan
27-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Zimbo, is the DP one you're talking about a single unit? I've got a set of the twin DP ones on the 750, but for the 900, I'm wanting to have one single clock that does it all.

Shandy
27-11-2006, 07:51 PM
It should be possible as long as its electronic and can be calibrated to match the 12 volt firing pulses off one of the ignition control units.

Drop stef a line he's been playing around with custom tachs for a while now he may know a bit more about the science.

Cheers,

Shandy

eonan
27-11-2006, 08:04 PM
It should be possible as long as its electronic and can be calibrated to match the 12 volt firing pulses off one of the ignition control units.

Drop stef a line he's been playing around with custom tachs for a while now he may know a bit more about the science.

Cheers,

Shandy

Hey Shandy mate, how's the rebuild going? I'm sh*tting myself that I've left mine in bits for too long now. I came back last week with the intention of cracking on with it...to find all my bags of bits had been moved around the place, with numerous pieces working their free from their temporary plastic homes :eek:

Dropped the frame and tank off at the painters today though, so hopefully it'll feel like something positive is happing reasonably soon :biggrin:

Shandy
27-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey Shandy mate, how's the rebuild going? I'm sh*tting myself that I've left mine in bits for too long now. I came back last week with the intention of cracking on with it...to find all my bags of bits had been moved around the place, with numerous pieces working their free from their temporary plastic homes :eek:

Dropped the frame and tank off at the painters today though, so hopefully it'll feel like something positive is happing reasonably soon :biggrin:

Well to be honest mate its technically not a rebuild yet, still a strip down :D and yep the brown stuffs flowing here too. Been busy as hell with work, stag weekends and generaly fannying about. Still have handle bars, wheels, carbs and rear suspension to finish stripping down and cleaning up. The rests all cleaned, bagged and tagged apart from some very random nuts and bolts who are homeless, bagless and a complete bloody mystery :scratch: :hissy:

I should be getting stuff to the painters and powder coaters in the new year, till then not much is going to happen due to funds and not sure on colours yet.

On the bright side i've got all the parts i need apart from bearings sorted, i'm kinda looking forward to starting to put it back together now.

My plan is back on the road by end of March at the latest :yoparty:

Zimbo
27-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Zimbo, is the DP one you're talking about a single unit? I've got a set of the twin DP ones on the 750, but for the 900, I'm wanting to have one single clock that does it all.

Yes it's a single tacho, no speedo though

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i148/zimbo16/IMG_0184.jpg

stef
28-11-2006, 09:35 AM
i wired the acewell tach and speedo.. no major headache.

eonan
28-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey Steph...got a picture of the acewell?

Zimbo
28-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Acewell units here

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/digital_clocks.htm

stef
28-11-2006, 07:22 PM
mine's the 2853.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/stephane_david/DSCN1796red.jpg
not a good picture. but you get the idea. looks better in real life.
i am currently making a custom headlight to fit it in.

Yorkie
28-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Stef,

Hurry up and get it made!!

How easy was it to fit, and does it come with all the gubbin's to fit it?

Do they come with any mounting brackets??

Yorkie.

eonan
28-11-2006, 07:39 PM
mine's the 2853.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/stephane_david/DSCN1796red.jpg
not a good picture. but you get the idea. looks better in real life.
i am currently making a custom headlight to fit it in.

Just been onto the web site that Zimbo posted and saw the 2900/2853...absolutely love them! And love the price even more!!!

Then up comes this post of yours! Superb!!! So if I go ahead and buy one, will you sort me me out when I'm sitting there, a dribbling mess with wires all over the place??? :D

stef
29-11-2006, 07:16 AM
No problem.
the acewell tach is a little bouncy, but can be improved. i have started on this and made good progress, but i dont have enough time to myself in the garage to finish sorting this out. The idiots ligths are all in, except for the petrol, side stand and battery charge.
Overall, it is a nice little unit, with very usefull features.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/stephane_david/bike/DSCN1804red.jpg
as for the headlight, i have made reasonable progress since the last pic. i filled a lot of holes, primed it, and started again on the filler. it takes ages when you only work an hour a week on this !

squiffything
29-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Stef you need a filler bitch to do all that sort of stuff for you! PD get over there and work your gold spangle covered butt off we need to see this light unit done

stef
29-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Stef you need a filler bitch to do all that sort of stuff for you! PD get over there and work your gold spangle covered butt off we need to see this light unit done

i blame my 11month old son..
cant wait until he is old enough to give me a hand !

Zimbo
29-11-2006, 09:24 PM
You say the tacho is bouncy Stef, what do you think needs doing to improve it?