PDA

View Full Version : Car crime

russ77
26-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I went out to my car this evening to find it had been broken into. They had levered off the lock cover and opened it with a screwdriver. I've had this done before. Apparently it's a known weakspot with VWs. They took nothing, but the damage will cost about £250 and two days without a car.

The Police probably won't do anything except give me a reference number and send me one of those "Sorry to hear that you have been the victim of crime," letters. Perhaps I watch too much telly, but it would be nice if they came round with a UV light, magic goggles and dusted for prints.

Guzzirider
27-11-2006, 07:27 AM
My next door neighbour's car was broken into last year- a smackhead Chav smashed the window and nicked his Sat Nav which was in the glovebox.

The police did take fingerprints and DNA samples (he cut himself!) and matched the crime to somebody who was arrested a few weeks later for another offence.

Does not get him his Sat Nav back but at least they caught the bloke who did it, and he was jailed for many offences.

Once he is released, he will be back again I am sure.

Melnie Mouse
27-11-2006, 08:53 AM
oh how awful, sorry hear that, i have a 10 year old golf, that got broken into before i had it, and they'd got in the same way as you describe, they stole the stereo, so the owners now put in the removable fascia bit, but it's sick isn't it? especially if there's nothing there to nick, so why on earth do it in the first place?

worse thing is, it's the only bit of rust on the car, is where they didn't do a proper job of smoothing it down to fix after they screw drivered the lock off and it's all bubbled up under paint by handle, so make sure someone fixes yours properly.

russ77
29-11-2006, 10:13 PM
worse thing is, it's the only bit of rust on the car, is where they didn't do a proper job of smoothing it down to fix after they screw drivered the lock off and it's all bubbled up under paint by handle, so make sure someone fixes yours properly.

The only bit of rust on mine is from when I locked myself out this summer and the RAC came and broke in for me. I told the mechanic at the time he could do it with a screwdriver or brick far more quickly. He told me I was welcome to try that myself. His giant coathanger scratched the inside of the door quite badly but saved me from a very embarrassing episode that was entirely my own fault.

Some car owners round here have little signs telling would-be scumbags that there's nothing worth pinching from their car. Good idea, but knowing my luck lately, someone would probably break in just to steal that. Boohoo poor me etc.

Didge
30-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Russ, sorry to hear that. Even if nothing's nicked, it still leaves you with a damaged car to sort out.
Move outta London mate.