PDA

View Full Version : S4 Front Wheel removal

Stafford
26-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I assume there are two types of front wheel spindle, one that you need a 14mm allen key for, and the other tube type.
The S4 has the tube type with four pinch bolts and a large nut on the nearside end.
Is this just a case of loosen the pinch bolts and drift out towards the nearside or is there more, suggestion please before I take a big stick to it? Oh, and the nut on the end can be undone.
Cheers
Q

I have tried to search for "front wheel removal" but they seem to mention the allen key type.

CK & AK
26-11-2006, 07:08 PM
undo the big nut before unclamping, then undo the 4 pinch bolts and then remove calipers. Drift out shaft & remove - as long as the bike is on a stand! ;-)

Stafford
26-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Cheers for the reply, took a look at the parts book which shows the shaft. One long ally drift required. Bike now stands in fresh air on paddock stands. Interesting that Ducati seem to take quite a cheap/minimalist approach to things, no spacers no extra detritus to confuse things compared to Jap bikes. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Now just clean in those important little places and fit the new rubber.
Cheers
Q

gary tompkins
26-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I usually manage to get mine out without resorting to a drift. Just wind big nut back as far as possible on thread, and then carefully tap it through to opposite side with nylon mallet. The nut protects the thread end from damage provided....
a) you don't go mental with a club hammer instead of a soft faced mallet
b) the spindle isn't siezed solid in the fork bottoms or wheel bearings

Once the other end of spindle pokes out enough I can usually pull it through. I do however keep my spindle well greased (ooh.. err missus) to make this job easier - see point 'b' above ;)

Oh... and as CK & AK said you need to undo the pinch bolts before knocking the spindle through.

CK & AK
27-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Interesting that Ducati seem to take quite a cheap/minimalist approach to things, no spacers no extra detritus to confuse things compared to Jap bikes.

Just note, that the rear DOES have a spacer on the sprocket side, MOST important to refit again after.

C:)

Stafford
27-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I usually manage to get mine out without resorting to a drift. Just wind big nut back as far as possible on thread, and then carefully tap it through to opposite side with nylon mallet. The nut protects the thread end from damage provided....
a) you don't go mental with a club hammer instead of a soft faced mallet
b) the spindle isn't siezed (i before e except after c) solid in the fork bottoms or wheel bearings

I use a moulded dead blow mallet and the procedure you mention above.
I just need to grease my shaft and stick it back in :woot:
Also when using a paddock stand (either end) you can support the weight of the wheel and tyre with a piece of wood. Just rest it on the handle of the stand and move it forward until it nicely supports the wheel. About 40-50mm thick and 400mm long ish.

Just note, that the rear DOES have a spacer on the sprocket side, MOST important to refit again after.C:)

Indeed that one stayed in the sprocket assembly.

Cheers for all the replies, should help some poor soul in the future.
Q