PDA

View Full Version : Chilly Willy

Gim
21-11-2006, 04:13 PM
As it looks as though the roads are remaining salt free at the mo, its nice to have the odd blast out. Trouble is I can only do about half an hour before bits start to want to drop off through hypothermia . Has anyone got any ideas about the best stuff to wear under leathers to keep the cold out ? (fingers quickly go numb too!) Cheers
Rob

Pedro
21-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Frank Thomas does kit called "Anti-Freeze" that has a gore tex layer, keeps the cold out nicely, I have a shirt and gloves that go under my race gloves.

Also wear my mountain bike leggings under me troosers!

gjfevans
21-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Lots and lots of layers

Zimbo
21-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Your best protection from cold isn't under the leathers, it's over them. You need a thin, windproof membrane - a bike waterproof over jacket is ideal. It doesn't need any insulating properties, it just needs to keep the wind out.
Keep your core temperature up (chest / midriff) and your extremities will withstand the cold far better

benson
21-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Windstopper!!! Really good windproof layer, helpful at this time of year!

Gloves - buy the best you can afford and remember that the latex doodahs can be a helpful waterproof layer too - nick em from diesel pumps at garages!

bigredduke
21-11-2006, 08:45 PM
1. Put on your warmest clothes
2. Get in the car
3. Put heater on full
4. Leave bike in garage

benson
21-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Oh no, please not another winter of debate about those of us who ride all year or not......:banghead: :chuckle: :banghead: :chuckle: :cens:

scrumpster
21-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Windstopper!!! Really good windproof layer, helpful at this time of year!

Gloves - buy the best you can afford and remember that the latex doodahs can be a helpful waterproof layer too - nick em from diesel pumps at garages!

Latex gloves hmmm but they don't half make your hands stink, wonder what the guys in my place use, might ask them when one 'pops' in!!

benson
21-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah well not latex perhaps - (yeah but no but yeah but...) the plastic ones that keep the rain out!

Keeping your body warm is also really important in my opinion - if you're warm in the middle you take longer to get cold around the edges!!!:idea:

scrumpster
21-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Now I know what my spare tyre is for!!! :rolleyes:

benson
21-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Yes indeed!!! I agree.....

:yoparty:

scrumpster
21-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Tractor tyre I am growing

Darry
21-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I got one of these... http://www.exo2.co.uk/exo2motorcycle.html

Theeerrrre gr8!

benson
22-11-2006, 07:00 AM
and have turned you into Tony the Toger by the sounds of it!

Melnie Mouse
22-11-2006, 09:22 AM
Frank Thomas does kit called "Anti-Freeze" that has a gore tex layer, keeps the cold out nicely, I have a shirt and gloves that go under my race gloves.

Also wear my mountain bike leggings under me troosers!

Ped it's not gore-tex it's gore-stopper, as in windproof, goretex is waterproof which these tops are not.. good that they are it's not w/proof Oh ped, didn't you know that???? :D :D :D

Matalan do a £5. pair of thermal leggings which are also good.

As it was so cold on my ride home last night, i've actually dug out for first time this season my gore-stopper top and Mmm lovely and toasty riding to work this am.. apart from fingers!

Darry
22-11-2006, 09:26 AM
and have turned you into Tony the Toger by the sounds of it!

Yes but I don't have Frosties! :rolleyes:

Chaos Inc.
22-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Best thing to keep yer bits warm: Kate Beckinsale :)

nik_the_brief
22-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Yep, layers.

It'd be worth investing in a decent textile 2-piece suit with a thermal lining too.

I zipped in my jacket lining today for the first time this year (it's now officially winter in my book) and I was lovely warm and toasty (except for my fingertips). Still wearing my leather trousers at the moment (over jeans) but wil change to the textiles when it gets colder still.

I bought a pair of thermal under gloves last year and a windstopper neck tube type thing to stop draughts getting down my neck and that made a huge difference too.

Gim
22-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the input chaps. I'll have a rummage round tinternet later to see whats on offer !
Rob

rockjock620
22-11-2006, 04:33 PM
actually, to be pedantic, it's Gore WindStopper.

tomtom
22-11-2006, 05:04 PM
There are loads of 'windstopper' type manufacturers, Gore is probably the best known and certainly one of the most expensive,shop around!
Tom

Gim
22-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Ok confused now ! the windstopper thungy ? Is that for under the jacket or is it a jacket itself ??:dunce:
Girlfriend just got excited about me gettin a windstopper till I told her what is for ! :chuckle:

Pingu
23-11-2006, 10:42 AM
For my 15 mile trip to work I wear a pair of Buffalo textile trousers over my jeans, Cold Killers neck tube, and a heatedwaistcoat £20 off ebay, and a textile jacket. Handlebar muffs and summer gloves. The neck tube is the best thing.:thumbsup:

spacemonkey
23-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Go to your nearest outdoor shop and purchase a set of merino wool thermals, top and bottom. Wear these next the skin. They don't stink either. I've used them for 5 days on Dartmoor without an airing and they/I didn't smell a bit. On top of this wear a thin fleece, then a thin windproof layer on that. That lot should fit under leathers, and I would sometimes just wear a puffa jacket over the leathers when around town. Job done.

Gim
29-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Lots and lots of layers

Such a lovely day I snuck off and went for a nice little run this afternoon.

Thermals followed by a long sleeve silk vest followed by three t shirts, a wool jumper and leathers. Borrowed the girlfriends silk riding under gloves... sorted! Warm as toast !!

Melnie Mouse
21-11-2007, 02:15 PM
actually, to be pedantic, it's Gore WindStopper.

you are so dead right! :D :D

GIM QUOTE:- Ok confused now ! the windstopper thungy ? Is that for under the jacket or is it a jacket itself ??
Girlfriend just got excited about me gettin a windstopper till I told her what is for ! UNQUOTE

ha ha yeah Gim, that's funny, that made me laugh big time... wish it was that easy huh? Yeah you wear it under your jacket, or under trousers depending which garment it is obviously. I wear the gloves version too, but you need to make sure you're gloves are too big for you or you don't get the air gap and you need that or you get colder still!

They work best next to your skin, but for going to work i just bung it over my work top under my jacket...

Mostro69
21-11-2007, 02:19 PM
I wear stuff from this shop under my Rukka textiles... www.thermalshop.co.uk.

Very warm, very dry.

Mostro69
21-11-2007, 02:20 PM

My thoughts exactly :D

mad_turnips
21-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Chaos Inc.
Best thing to keep yer bits warm: Kate Beckinsale

oh yes def but in underworld or peal harbour thats the question

Thumper
21-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I wear Hein Gericke Tuareg trousers with Dainese Thermo under trousers, an Ixon XERES Textile jacket with a Knox Thinsulate t-shirt, Buff polar neck warmer, Hein Gericke Touring Classic Gloves and Daytona Voyager GTX Boots... I am REALLY toasty in that lot. If it gets worse I have a Klan heated waistcoat that plugs into the bikes battery mmmmmm bliss!

gremlin
21-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Thermal long johns and my old hunting shirt with a cashmire jumper and big jacket are brill, although my leathers are thinsulate lined so lovely and toasty. Builders wear ladies tights but obviously there is the risk of embarrassment if you have an off!

Scotty
21-11-2007, 09:55 PM
cuh armature cold prevention technology your lot have , there's only one piece of kit you need ...

http://www.drscott.plus.com/warm.jpg

gremlin
22-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Blimey thats a willy warmer and a half:D :D

neilbaldry
24-11-2007, 11:19 AM

i second this idea

colin ellis
24-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi, check out flea bay item no 130174895647 I bought a set and they'e ACE!!! Also bought silk inner gloves, been out this week wearing them under leathers and warm as toast. Not bad for under £30 the lot.

Nickj
24-11-2007, 01:47 PM
I second the comments latex body stockings errrr oops wrong forum :eek:
Lots of thin layers works really well, those wind stopper breaker things do OK as a base layer but natural fabrics do tend to be nicer merino or alpaca is definitely top end stuff.
Hands... always my problem occasional stops to wrap them round the engine works but I might invest in some leccy gloves.
Must be getting old and soft LOL

gremlin
26-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I've always felt the cold, I think people vary some have colder blood than others, I'm fine in heat but really can't cope with cold. It's that damp cold too that really gets me, it doesn't seem so bad in snow, but then you're either snowballing or digging yourself out so keeping warm.

Thumper
26-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I solved my own problem. I bought some heated inner gloves from the NEC Saturday (£60 from Klan/Giali). Riding home was a pleasure not a painful task. Highly recommend em. Smile nicely enuf like I did and you'll get em for £50 :thumbsup: