PDA

View Full Version : race termis dyno test ! waste of money

jerry
20-11-2006, 03:58 PM
went to the local race track today with some other Ducati owners , we had use of a Mathesis unt and Dyno belonging to Castrol race team,

For the S4 we had my standard cans , The race Termis, my friends Silmotos from his S4 and a set of cored standard pipes, bike has K&N filter with half chopped airbox cover.
ECU was standard on the S4s

Each setup was checked using Mathesis unit for any changes needed for optimum, performance.

Dyno results were

with standard cans ..............................peak power 100bhp peak torque 67 ft lbs sound 86db
with cored standard cans......................peak power 105bhp peak torque 70 ft lbs sound 99db
with silmoto C/F race cans.....................peak power 108bhp peak torque 75 ft lbs sound 103db
with race C/F Termi cans........................peak power 103bhp peak torque 71 ft lbs sound 88 db

each setup was also speed tested using timing equipment on the track

result with standard cans top speed 136mph
result with cored standard cans top speed 139mph
result with silmoto cans top speed 140.5mph
result with termi race cans top speed 138mph

I asked the guys subjectivly which cans had the best sound

they unanimously said

1st the sils loud and bassy , with top performance
2nd the standard cored cans loud and boomy a nice mellow sound with suprisingly good performance
3rd the standard pipes because thay are free and worked well.
4th the termis as they sounded awful, very tinny noise, not as much performance gain as the others and a waste of my £500 the guys said they made my bike sound like a bag of nails , when we put them on Jims S4 it too sounded crap.

I have put the cored pipes which are my friend spares , not sure what to do with the termis may cut open to modify them or sell them .
It was a great day out thanks to Damien and Khunb Somplak at the Bira race track Pattaya.

jerry

Scotty
20-11-2006, 06:05 PM
sounds conclusive

ive always been tempted to have a run on a dyno done just to see what the picture looks like see if is is how i imagine it be

does seem like a vast difference in numbers between what 'should be' essentially the same thing odd ~:?

Mr C
20-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I had mine done 100.5 bhp @ the wheel not sure what that would be at the crank. Termi's K&N Open box & Power commader. Dunno what it was standard

Scotty
20-11-2006, 07:33 PM
think id be gutted if i didnt make 110 mind (pub braging rights n all that)

lcjohnny
20-11-2006, 11:34 PM
IMHO the standard pipes look sweet If i could get good results by coring I wouldgo that way! Has anyone found out what is the best coring??

jerry
21-11-2006, 01:02 AM
IMHO the standard pipes look sweet If i could get good results by coring I wouldgo that way! Has anyone found out what is the best coring??
I dont know who cored the standard pipes here but have a look on DUCATISUITE website they have a project showing how it is done.

jerry

Zimbo
21-11-2006, 05:02 AM
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/monsters4.html

Mr C
21-11-2006, 08:30 AM

Standard cans weigh a ton compared to Carbon ones