PDA

View Full Version : Hypoglycaemia

bod
17-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Anybody else had this happen or suffer from it?

There I was a fit young man in my early 30's,just come back from lunch and started to look at my monitor.When within 3 minutes the screen was all fuzzy and couldn't make out the text.

Ten Min's later and I am starting to feel weak shake and loose any idea where I am or what is occurring,twenty Min's later and Im off in an ambulance!

Didn't have a clue what was happening,but after 4 hrs in the local hospital I was feeling better:)

Simple reason was low blood sugar levels they put it down to, but bloody frightening at the time,does it get easier the next time?

Just glad I was at work not riding, or out on the top of a hill on my mountain bike!

Not looking for sympathy just to know how other people manage.

scrumpster
17-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Anybody else had this happen or suffer from it?

There I was a fit young man in my early 30's,just come back from lunch and started to look at my monitor.When within 3 minutes the screen was all fuzzy and couldn't make out the text.

Ten Min's later and I am starting to feel weak shake and loose any idea where I am or what is occurring,twenty Min's later and Im off in an ambulance!

Didn't have a clue what was happening,but after 4 hrs in the local hospital I was feeling better:)

Simple reason was low blood sugar levels they put it down to, but bloody frightening at the time,does it get easier the next time?

Just glad I was at work not riding, or out on the top of a hill on my mountain bike!

Not looking for sympathy just to know how other people manage.

It happened to me when I was 18 so many years ago, and happens from time to time still, but I just have to have something to eat and it wears off. Just make sure you eat properly, especially breakfast and I find something sweet helps!! Good excuse for chocolate in my case :mand:

Scotty
17-11-2006, 10:05 PM
holy **** bod, eat more you know it makaes sense, you might chatch up me my weight if your realy good ;)

Yorkie
17-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Scotty,

You are 9 stone wet through!!

Bod,

Hope all gets well mate !!!

Yorkie.

bod
17-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeh....Docotor did ask if I ever had breakfast,I used to have the extra 10 min's in bed instead:chuckle:
Let that be a lesson breakfast is the 1st meal of the day!

Still an afternoon off work with lots of attractive nurses running around after you helped to ease the drama:cool:

Byron Kauffman
18-11-2006, 03:14 AM
My dad had it in his 30s and 40s. If he didnt eat regularly he would get loopy to the point of nearly falling down.
He is a car dealer so was always on the road and couldn't risk getting dizzy. He found carrying a can of macadamia nuts to snack every few hours kept him in good form. He is thin and well muscled from years of working on cars so eating constantly did not make him put on weight.
Now that he is older he doesnt seem to be bothered much, but it colud be that he trained himself to eat more regularly and not just live on coffee.

jerry
18-11-2006, 06:21 AM
Used to happen to my mum when i was a kid , she was dieting ,
i am an old git now with type 2 diabeties if my blood sugsr falls too low i feel slow with poor concentration, chocolate or some food helps.

jerry

Mand
18-11-2006, 04:28 PM
You should eat porridge for breakfast. That will keep you going.

bod
19-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Porridge must be the way forward then?
Are Coco Pops a good substitute?

Gilps
19-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Have you been checked for Diabetes? Don't mean to scare you but just a thought.

bod
19-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Tests at the hospital showed nothing,it happened so quick it was scary from feeling fine to nearly unconscious!
I have been refereed to my Doc,guess I need to register with one now:idea:

adpips
19-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I work with some kids who suffer, we alway's keep Mars bars etc around. If you don't like chocolate fruit pastels are good. Apparently we have been informed that also rehydration is connected. Therefore its important to drink regularily. Water not alchohol i'm afraid.

boris
19-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I've had non-diabetic hypo for about 10 yrs now. Symptoms are all as described. Usually I start to get the hot flush first, then the shakes. If I'm out and about I always have a Snickers bar with me which gives the 'Hit' very quickly for me. When at home there is always a bottle of Lucozade in the fridge which also works very quickly. As some of the other guys have said, regular food and breakfast is a MUST. I'm quite busy most days and sometimes just forget to eat or have long gaps in between food. The shakes are the usual reminder. Needless to say, before going out on the Duc, food is part of the pre-ride check!

Mand
19-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Porridge must be the way forward then?
Are Coco Pops a good substitute?

Coco Pops are sh!te. They will give you the initial sugar rush but won't keep you going. You need to eat "good" carbs, Shreddies, Muesli etc. slow burning and keep your body fueled for the day. Bananas are good too.

Breakfast is a must. You're a tall fella and you need your fuel - just like your Monster!

scrumpster
19-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I have to say shreddies don't do it for me, but toast and jam with no butter does. I can't really tell what triggers mine off, but know stress is a factor and of course those lovely hormones us women have :p

Nim
20-11-2006, 02:13 PM
ok people...enough with the chocolate and cereal ideas!!! Alot of my patients are hypoglycaemic...worst thing you can do is eat anything too sugary (as Mand said) unless you're likely to fall into a coma any time soon. You need to have protein with each meal (white meat, fish, tofu, pulses, quinoa), and complex carbs (brown rice, oats, wholegrains, vegetables etc). Look up Glyceamic Index and try to stick to foods under 60, and snack on healthy foods between meals...don't go too long without eating either! Hope that helps