PDA

View Full Version : In Dublin....

Shandy
17-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Saw two monsters yesterday in Dublin, one just off grafton street and the other just down the road from that giant skewer thing sticking out the ground.

I really need to get some cards!!

Shandy

nik_the_brief
17-11-2006, 10:46 AM
You mean "the Stiffey by the Liffey" dont ya?

gary tompkins
17-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Oooh.. will have to keep an eye out for that landmark. I'll be flying out to Dublin on the 1st weekend in December for a wedding bash :woot: :booze:

nik_the_brief
17-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Oooh.. will have to keep an eye out for that landmark. I'll be flying out to Dublin on the 1st weekend in December for a wedding bash :woot: :booze:

Gary - Irish weddings are second only to Irish funerals for a good time to be had by all.

Details of the Stiffey can be found here --> http://www.irish-architecture.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/northcity/oconnell_street/spire.html

The Dubs have a great knack for naming their statues/building etc. The Spirit of the Liffey, Anna Livia, a reclining staue in a fountain is known locally as "The Floozy in the jacuzzi", "the Bitch in the Ditch" or "the Whore in the sewer" (you have to have a Dub accent for the last one to work BTW.

A bronze of Molly Malone at the bottom of Grafton St (with a rather ample decolletage) is known as "The Tart with the Cart" or "The Dish with the Fish".

It's a fantastic city - we go over at least once a year and love it.

Duncan
17-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Yep great city. I spend a lot of time working in Ireland especially close to Dublin.

Was there Tuesday last week, again on Wednesday this week.

Next Monday, Tuesday am in Dundalk enjoying the pleasures of bandit country on the border by Jonesborough. Its a lot quieter than it used to be and its possible to drink in a pub that allegedly has one bar in the north and the other in the south.
Now the army towers are coming down and the houses are being painted up the area is beginning to look more like a pretty scottish glen than a hotbed of terrorism.

nik_the_brief
17-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Dundalk - home of Oliver Plunketts head - like a little shrivelled cabbage in a glass box. Took my lads there earlier this year. A great base to visit the Boyne Valley and Newgrange from. Apparently also where the Corrs come from.

I've a mate who worked there for Xerox and lives in Balbriggan - about halfway between Dundalk and Dublin, know the area well.

gary tompkins
17-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the tips - now really looking forward to breaking my Irish duck :)

Shandy
17-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah ill agree its a good city to visit even for work. I may have to go there every couple of weeks for work meetings, right in the centre too :cool: