PDA

View Full Version : A Monster Owner Again

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2006, 02:00 PM
As some of you know a year ago my grey M900 was attacked by a Crew Cab Dually truck while parked. The frame was bent and damage was bad enough that it was not practical to rebuild. Since then I have been looking for another carburetted 900 Monster both in my price range and in decent condition. Here in Florida it is tough to find a used bike that does not look like a corrosion study.
This past spring my brother told me of a bike listed in his area (1000 miles away). I talked to the seller, the description sounded good for the price. I had plans to see the bike when I traveled north to the car shows but things didnt work out for travel so figured the bike was gone. A week ago I got a email from the seller. He still had the bike, was now not happy with it because it wasnt running right from sitting, he had home remodel going, his wife's car just went in for major service. He wanted one less thing to think about this winter and offered me the bike for $1000. (£500.). Even with the bike 1000 miles away I had to say yes. My brother checked it over and picked it up last Friday. It even came with the extra Corbin seat and garage stand.
Now I just have to go get it before snow season in Pennsylvania. I don't know project plans yet but of course the red color will have to go (that should start the hate mail).
The Yanks are back in the UKMOC.

slob
16-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Nice one BK.

fatbloke
16-11-2006, 02:16 PM
welcome back

CK & AK
16-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Congrats - just take one improvement at a time! ;)

Bodybag
16-11-2006, 03:14 PM
As a certain roman prisoner would say, "You lucky, lucky bastard" $1k!!! Good work fella and I bet you're happy as a pig in **** to have wheels again?! You're right about the red colour too!! :mand:

nik_the_brief
16-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I told you them Septics have no style - everyone knows the red 'uns are the fastest (and coolest) Monnies.

Nice one though Byron - like the open clutch cover and tail chop already done, now for a nice pair of cans eh!!

squiffything
16-11-2006, 03:40 PM
As the man says lucky lucky etc etc you'll get £100+ for the spare Corbin on ebay.

Good find that man and welcome back to the fold. It gives one a warm feeling when a monster owner returns from being lost....

Then again that could just be last nights curry working its way through!

zxebeast
16-11-2006, 05:33 PM
He wanted one less thing to think about this winter and offered me the bike for $1000. (£500.).

Congrats. One damn of a bike. The classic red 900 rocks.

gary tompkins
16-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Byron,

Nice to hear you are no longer monsterless. Good looking 900 and a bargain at too even if it does need some TLC. Looking forward to a stateside "My Project" thread kicking off soon :woot:

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2006, 07:01 PM
For the Welcome Back.

I will post a update when I bring it home. I know it needs the uneven running problem fixed but a friend with a Ducati shop said it sounds like a pinched fuel line or bad vacuum pet****. The bike has a hairline crack in the right side footpeg bracket and some staining on the left side motor and frame rail where the battery acid leaked. All pretty minor problems and I planned to tear it down for a repaint anyway. First I just want to get it running right and then go from there. The grey monster started from a pile of parts and was modified while in daily use. This bike is a big step forward since it is already in one piece. Of course being 15 hours away limits useability right now.

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2006, 07:05 PM
The Forum computer automatically sensors the word petc-o-c-k but was unable to keep my old Avitar without turning it into modern art?

This is why I wanted the carburetted Monster and not the more modern computer controlled model.

Yes.... I plan to do what the system wants to finally fix the avitar too.

Byron

Albie
16-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Bargain:gromit:

Did you manage to salvage any old bits of your wrecked bike to use again or did they take it back.

Pedro
16-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Top purchase fella! That is an absolute steal! Nice to see you back

Ped

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Bargain:gromit:
Did you manage to salvage any old bits of your wrecked bike to use again or did they take it back.

Hello Albie;

He paid me my asking price for the bike and took it away.
I have the 2000 model year faring since it was not on the bike when hit. I was building a set of custom gauges at the time so I still have them and a few stock parts.
I would like to have the Conti style pipes to repair since they are no longer made. The rear wire spoke wheel was bent and I was not sure about the 851 swingarm or engine cases. Too much stress was put on the bike when it was pushed sideways by the truck to trust it. It would have been nice to have the fuel tank with the old Ducati badges and the stainless license plate bracket. I hand made both and could do them again if needed. The new owner still has the bike sitting on his car lot for sale at $13,000. and has never disclosed the damage.

Banshee
16-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Ya must have them again it made your old one so so sexy. will you be going grey again? (in more ways than one that is).
Nice to have our state side reporter back on. (not that you really went) but welcome back anyhow.

Banshee xxx

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Ya must have them again it made your old one so so sexy. will you be going grey again? (in more ways than one that is).
Nice to have our state side reporter back on. (not that you really went) but welcome back anyhow.Banshee xxx

Thanks Banshee.
I will do something different this time. I did really like the wires but the exchange rate may keep me from doing it again. It about broke me to build the wires several years ago and the exchange rate was MUCH better.
As for colors (colours).... I have several ideas in my head but nothing ready to go.
Metalic or flake Rootbeer with cream accents in a vintage look. Or a TIKI theme where the frame is painted to look like bamboo bound together as they do with furniture and then do the body parts in a woodgrain plank pattern with exposed nail heads in (gold leaf) like a old Chris Craft boat. Or the same bamboo frame with the tank done as a stone tiki head.
Last idea for now is to strip the bike to bare metal, and do a rust streaked effect with a flat clear to protect it, the whole bike in a bare elements look.

But first it must run properly...then I can play.

Banshee
16-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I dont even know what a kaftan is or never ever done weed, but hey you like it in your world and thats what counts. would i be out of place to use a term from your side of the pond...? "Ya crazy son of a bitch". you do summit like that and we will sort out a forum long weekend to come and look.

Banshee.

claicerrig
16-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I dont even know what a kaftan is or never ever done weed, but hey you like it in your world and thats what counts. would i be out of place to use a term from your side of the pond...? "Ya crazy son of a bitch". you do summit like that and we will sort out a forum long weekend to come and look.

Banshee.

Hehe come over there with the crazy gog boys in march

johnnystorm
16-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Or a TIKI theme where the frame is painted to look like bamboo bound together as they do with furniture and then do the body parts in a woodgrain plank pattern with exposed nail heads in (gold leaf) like a old Chris Craft boat.

Bamboo frame for definate, you can then cane it everywhere!:D

/gets coat

crust
17-11-2006, 09:33 PM
nice one

look forward to updates on its progress

a cheaper route to spokes might be

a set off a Ducati Sports Classic, might involve some ambulance chasing ;)

or maybe a set normally destined for a custom tractor Harley - strike through dosnt work :(

:)Crust

Byron Kauffman
18-11-2006, 03:51 AM
Yes, the Sport Classic wheels would work. The Smart and 1000 Sport have aluminum rims with a clear coating, the Sport GT has steel rims. The bearings may need to be changed for the earlier small diameter axle on the older M900.
The Wheels I had on the last bike were bare aluminum AKRONT rims with very nice smooth hubs and much better looking than the SC rims.

I did have a pair of Moto Guzzi disc brake wire wheel front hubs since they will work on Ducati with bearing carriers from Vee Two out of Australia. But in a moment of low of cash and garage space I sold them when I figured why would I need another set of wire wheels.

With the exchange rate as-is I estimate it would cost me nearly $5000. to recreate the wheels I had on the grey bike. That is not in my budget and the cheap hot rodder in me would never let myself spend that much. I also have the 1940s belly tank Bonneville racer project going so I cant go crazy on the Monster.

With the popularity of Super Motard there are more wire wheel options now and I also like the cast thin 20 spoke design wheels. Something will turn up and give the project a direction.

jerry
18-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Well done mate , good luck ,

jerry

gary tompkins
18-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Byron,

That's a lot of cash for a set of custom spoked rims. Surely the sport classic wheels would be cheaper - even if you had to buy new from a dealer?

We have a few reputable wheel builders in the UK but it would obviously be extra hassle and cost to get them shipped over. I was playing with the idea of spoked wheels on the trike last year, but finding a front rim proved to be a real PITA. Ironically spoked rear's were fairly easy to track down in a 7 x 17 car size. In the end I went for a cast rim on the back, and a similar 10 spoke 'Y' pattern design PVM rim on the front. The forged PVM is a great looking wheel but expensive at £495.00, and most of the spoke pattern is obscured when front discs are fitted as you can see in photo.

Would love a set of PVM's on the solo if I had a spare £1200 floating about. They are light compared to the O/E 3 spoke brembo's. The forged PVM with discs weighed less than the stock rim on it's own!

I got my PVM from these guys BTW - but sure there are dealers stateside?

https://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/index.html?https%3A//www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/PVM_WHEELS.html&CatalogBody

NattyBoy
18-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Good to have you back byron..hope this bike is modified as tastefully as the last one..!!

Nat

Byron Kauffman
18-11-2006, 12:33 PM
The trike wheels look great. I ran into the same thing with my wires where they were hard to see and clean due to the brake discs. Plus I ended up machining the back of the caliper to clear the spoke angle.

What made the first set of wheels so expensive was some of the parts were no longer made and they went through several dealers and countries. Each made money on them before I got them. But even with that in mind I found it was only slightly cheaper to build them from parts built and sourced on my own. I had hubs, bearing carriers from Australia, Rims and Spokes from California, plus the machine shop work here and time to do it all. The deciding factor was that I could not get the AKRONT rims at that time any other way than throught the combination of UK, Spain, Germany. I was going for a vintage look and the more modern rims did not fit this image.
Now there are many varieties of wire spoke wheels available thanks to Super Motard. I looked at several suppliers at the NEC show a few years ago. The custom HD scene here has also helped with variety and availability.

Once the bike is running and serviced I can pick a direction and start attacking it. I just want to ride a while before it comes apart.

gary tompkins
18-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't know if this link helps?

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagWheel.htm

Hagon have been knocking out wheels etc.. for years, and I've had shocks supplied and other engineering done by them in the past with good results.

No idea what make of alloy rims they use in their builds, but I know a few guys that have had sets made (on custom chops mainly) and they looked the dogs.

walkingpictures
19-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Hehe come over there with the crazy gog boys in march
Welcome home Byron,good to have you back,don't worry about the Welsh boys,they are nuttier as a fruit cake :biggrin:

Regards from Kimbo

claicerrig
19-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Flights booked payed for and confirmed :D :D :D :D

We will arrive in Florida on Tuesday 6th March @ 6:30 pm :D :D

See you then Byron :woot:

crust
19-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Guzzi front wheels can be done reasonably cheaply

front hub - http://www.sd-tec.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/697

Copies of Akront flanged rims

Flanged rim - http://www.sd-tec.de/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/55286

or these people may well have one

http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/index.html?mainframe.htm&2

or maybe secondhand Honda or Yamaha items

Good luck with whatever you decide

:)Crust

Byron Kauffman
19-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Flights booked payed for and confirmed
We will arrive in Florida on Tuesday 6th March @ 6:30 pm
See you then Byron :woot:

Where in Florida? Its a big place. I can just watch for the guys looking the wrong way when they cross the street.

Good to hear you will make it. Be sure to get the insurance on your hire car.
...ohhhhhh baby... a new car to tear up...... Have to get the big box of decals ready for the hire car.

I will call my friend again to get him in gear and send me the Corner Worker info. I will also post it to the forum in case anyone else decides to head this way.

What should I stock the fridge with.... please oh please dont say Budweiner....

Byron

Byron Kauffman
19-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Crust;

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
Of course dragging the bike here might be a good first step.

spacemonkey
22-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Nice one, glad to see you've got another Monster at last. Still got the Miata? Mine's just passed the magic 200k mark... and still going sweet...