PDA

View Full Version : Nothing happens

pooh
07-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi folks
due to the fact that my bike is in lots of bits at present I am using the wifes 620 to go to work on, last night I went to it turned on the ignition pump started needles wagged etc but when i pushed the starter button nothing happened, initially thought battery so left it at work and took my optimate in this morning left it on all day but tonight still nothing. Headlight bright so do not think its the battery. Has anybody got any ideas were to start looking first.

Ian

masterofthemoon
08-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi folks
due to the fact that my bike is in lots of bits at present I am using the wifes 620 to go to work on, last night I went to it turned on the ignition pump started needles wagged etc but when i pushed the starter button nothing happened, initially thought battery so left it at work and took my optimate in this morning left it on all day but tonight still nothing. Headlight bright so do not think its the battery. Has anybody got any ideas were to start looking first.

Ian

this happened to me with my S4R pushed the button and nothing yet everything else worked battery was fully charged etc..!!..kept pushing button and nothing..this lasted for 30 mins...took the key out waggled as many wires as i could near the battery and ignition put key in pushed button and it started...mad ..these ducati's

Gilps
08-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Is it gear with the sidestand down? Put it in gear and back into neutral. Pull the clutch in whilst trying to start it. Flick the kill switch a couple of times.

Bodybag
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Flick the kill switch a couple of times.
Kill switch.

pooh
08-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Folks
tried all of the above no difference then checked the fuses one at a time by removing them and replacing them bike now runs but the indicators dont work one of my students did say that he thought that one of the indicators was stuck on but when I checked all looked normal. I have looked everywhere for the flasher unit but cant find it has anybody got any ideas.

Ian

russ77
08-11-2006, 08:22 PM
It's the bigger square black box next to relays on older models (like mine). In the rubber holder, under the seat by the fusebox. If it's popping fuses, that's a bit worrying. Earth problem?

gary tompkins
08-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Sounds like it's popped the fuse to the ignition - check which one actually blew they are all marked on the fusebox? The ignition's usually on a different 7 amp circuit to the indicators & lights, so if the short is there it shouldn't effect the starting :confused:

I would sort the indicators anyway as at least it eliminates one possibility.

Flasher unit is normally a small black box relay under tank & near the battery - at least it is on my 900

pooh
08-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Gary
the bike now runs OK and all of the fuses were OK so I went down the route of looking for the flasher relay but I cant find one.

Ian

gary tompkins
09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Right...

Had a look at haynes and the Y2K 900ie diagram clearly shows a flasher relay. However the Y2K3 900ie, 620 & 620S diagram shows no flasher relay at all....WTF??? :confused:

I'm wondering if the flasher relay is built into either the instrument housing or ECU (daft) on the later injected bikes. The wiring diagram certainly shows all the wiring relating to the flashers heading in that direction. What year is your 900Sie Ian - I thought it was the same era as mine?

My 900ie is registered 2003 but actually a 2001 spec bike - hence the hoop style rear suspension.

pooh
10-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Gary it aint my 900Sie that is the problem its Lorraines 620ie as mine is still in bits aparently as you have found the flasher unit is part of the instrument unit so if that is the problem sounds expensive. I need to try and follow the wires from the switch as I do not have a manual for the bike or take it to Ducati which also sounds expensive so at the moment its back to hand signals

Ian

gary tompkins
10-11-2006, 07:15 AM
Have you got the original handbook for the 620?

The wiring diagram is usually in the back of that

masterofthemoon
10-11-2006, 09:49 AM
The relay is built into the instrument cluster, does the relay click when you turn the indicators on..?...actually its very rarely a relay problem...more likely an earth or fault in the wiring somewhere...have you got a circuit tester ( little screwdriver with bulb in)...just folllow the circiut testing it..process of elimination

pooh
10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Have better than a screwdriver with bulb but dont have wiring diagram to follow so am knackered at present so have reverted to the old way of hand signals which really confuses motorists but I dont care. Need to find manual so I can sort out what is going on.
Ian

CK & AK
11-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Ian have you thought about having a quick word with Nelly @ Cornerspeed? - he is well up to date, also usually open on a Sat. Say AK said to call.

pooh
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Have found drawing on Ducati web site so will be investigating further.

Ian

gary tompkins
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
Ian,

did you check the handbook for the 620?

My 900ie handbook has a wiring diagram at the back of it. A real help when I was wiring in hazards on the trike even though it was only black & white.

Later revisions of the haynes cover injected bikes like the 900 & 620ie, and have a colour diagram in the back too.