PDA

View Full Version : HEEELLLLP No electrics

Newboy
06-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi all I need help please.... I picked up my first Monster at the weekend rode it back when I picked it up fine. Went out on it yesterday took a couple of tries to get any ignition. But after a couple of turns of the key it came on then I turned the lights on and it killed the engine but it started up again straight away. I went out this morning to go to work and it's completely dead I spent about fifteen minute turning the key on and off in the ignition but nothing. Tried it again when I got home from work still nothing. The problem is there is nothing its like the battery is not connected its just dead. But when you turn the key I can hear a relay or something clicking but that's it. Can anyone help pleeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssse :hissy:

Zimbo
06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
It's usually the main relay, black relay situated just by the fusebox under the seat. try wiggling the connector first, if that doesn't work try replacing the relay.

bigredduke
06-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Could also be a knackered battery

gary tompkins
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM
The relay is a good bet - could also be a dodgy ignition switch. Check the battery too with a voltmeter as it may not hold a good charge, or you may have accidently left the switch in the park position overnight and drained it.

Newboy
06-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks all. I got a new relay it didn't do anything still dead. I'm not sure its the battery as it did it after I took for a spin yesterday then went to start it and thats when it also cut the engine when I turned on the lights.

russ77
06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
I tried replacing the relays some time ago and it didn't fix exactly the same problem. I just resigned myself to having a badly behaved motorcycle for a while. It would start first time but if left for a few minutes after a ride it would refuse to start for up to an hour.

Try "tickling" the starter solenoid. It is held in a small rubber sleeve under the front of the seat. This sleeve loses its elasticity over time and the solenoid falls out. The contacts come loose when it comes out of the sleeve.

I've never gotten round to fixing this problem, as I quite enjoy the fact that my bike requires a bit of a tease before it will play these days. Should be a simpe fix. Clean the contacts, re-connect and seal. Secure the solenoid properly in the holder.

Welcome to the weird world of Ducati electrics. As a rule, if a problem like this comes up, give every visible connection or cable a wiggle and keep trying the starter. When it starts, you've found the problem. That way you get to ride it before farting about with the multimeter. Enjoy.

Newboy
06-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Its not the fact that it won't start its the fact that there is nothing there at all. when you turrn the key nothing comes on no lights on the dash nothing. :confused:

russ77
06-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Then it probably is something to do with the wiring. The loom is exposed to the elements behind the headlight and also gets bent every time you turn the handlebars. Check the ignition switch is making contact, wiggle the wires and fingers crossed you won't have to replace any cables.

If you've got a 600 without all the immobilizers, chips in the keys and what-not, the ignition switch is a fairly simple swap and replacements can be found for around a tenner.

Check the kill switch and the battery too. With the cold weather, my battery is getting hopeless and the bike likes to be used at least twice a week or it won't play. Check the acid levels in the battery in particular. All the elements should be covered if you can't see the level indicators on the side (or the case is opaque). Apparently a trickle-charger is a sensible investment this time of year, guaranteeing the bike is ready to rock when you are.

gary tompkins
06-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Could also be something as simple as a loose battery +ve lead or earth, as well as any of the above. Keep us posted on developements.

Newboy
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I've got the battery on charge as we speak. fingers crossed thats the problem and I'll be back on two wheels tomorrow.
Wish me luck :thumbsup:

Newboy
08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
All sorted thanks for all the advice folks. It turned out to be The other relay the one I didn't replace. Sprayed some wd40 on the connecters and gave it a knock on the frame. Turned the key all lights what a gorgeous sight. :chuckle:

gary tompkins
08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Nice one - see you at the Oakdene :mand: