PDA

View Full Version : gear change

dave h
05-11-2006, 01:09 PM
hello i am new to ducati monsters i have just recently purchased a 53, 620ie,yellow, love the bike but the gear change seems to bit a bit clunky going up and down the box is this normal for a ducati monster or is it something i should be worried about,would appriciate your feedback.
dave h

benson
05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi Dave and welcome to the wonderful world of monsters - the clunking unless it's really extreme is absolutely right - they just do that... The bike has a huge personality and a lot of really individual quirks - you'll encounter them all over time and the 620 is a great way to bite the monster cherry...

Happy riding and take care,

Benson

Scotty
05-11-2006, 01:35 PM
ride a ktm for a bit by comparisom the monster will seem silky smooth ;)

personally i very much like the 'clunky' gear change if you do it right you definatly know its in sort of thing

in perticular i like the way the whole bike shudders when you drop it into 1st at the traffic lights - hints at MoNsTeRoUs PoWeR ummm

nik_the_brief
05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
It gets smoother and less noticeable with practice though, it seems that it's all about getting the revs just right. Eventually it almost disappears - save the shudder into first from neutral.

gary tompkins
05-11-2006, 03:42 PM
If the problem persists (even after practice) check the chain for freeplay and the rear cush drive for wear. Both could cause a lot of transmission snatch on gearchanges if badly worn.

Oh - and welcome to the UKMOC BTW ;)