PDA

View Full Version : emusification of oil

lord vader
03-11-2006, 06:28 PM
anyone else got a nice creamy view through their oil spyglass.
The Oil and filter was changed in June at Motorapido, since then I have done 1000 miles 400 of which in the last 3 weeks at the hand of my mate. but there is now a decidedly creamy view on all things oil related?
Weather maybe? left standing for weeks at a time?

Any Clues?

Regards

Vader

Shandy
03-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Don't panic there, it's just where you get a bit of condensation on the sight glass, after a good blast all will be normal again :biggrin:

Cheers,

Shandy

DesmoDom
03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
It's as Shandy says and comes under the "They all do that Sir" heading :biggrin:

Baz

CK & AK
03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
type a search?:idea:

benson
03-11-2006, 08:54 PM
And you'll no doubt find my suggestion of a small blow torch (kitchen one...) to drive out the moisture - that's all it is, and in the winter despite a good long run sometimes even then it doesn't go...I didn't actually use a blow torch but the idea just made me smile..:flamed:

Scotty
03-11-2006, 10:01 PM
ride harder is the answer

lord vader
03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for the reassurance, I guessed as much.

Regards

Rob

Zimbo
04-11-2006, 05:07 AM
For those with oil coolers fitted, this often makes it worse in winter as the cooler prevents the oil getting properly warm and burning off the condensation. you could try taping it up so the oil runs hotter . . .

gary tompkins
04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
For those with oil coolers fitted, this often makes it worse in winter as the cooler prevents the oil getting properly warm and burning off the condensation. you could try taping it up so the oil runs hotter . . .

I did - and it does :thumbsup:

I got a 20 degree increase in oil temp and it reduced emulsification on all but shortest runs. I've also ditched the breather system and gone for a K&N directly on the crankcase, as I'm sure the breather traps water in the engine. You need a temperature gauge fitted before you blank off cooler so you can monitor oil temp. I went for one that screws in the filler opening.

russ77
06-11-2006, 10:15 PM
...I've also ditched the breather system and gone for a K&N directly on the crankcase, as I'm sure the breather traps water in the engine...

What are the other benefits of these breather kits? I've seen them and like the look of them, but was confused by their function.

Will it cure the mist of oil that gathers under the sump and in the belly pan of the bike? I'm assuming this comes from the breather but I'm not sure. I should investigate but it's not serious. I hope.

Most of all, I like the look. Like something that should be poking out of the bonnet of a muscle car. Nice

gary tompkins
06-11-2006, 11:49 PM
TBH I mainly swapped mine on the trike because the breather box was in the way of some of the subframe mods below the seat. But I think it looks a lot neater and the oil sightglass appears to mist less as a bonus. I'll try to post a phot ASAP - I got mine cheap on ebay.

Pedro
07-11-2006, 06:38 AM
I have a crankcase K&N breather and not one jot of sight glass mayo.

The stock breather system has a lot to do with emmissions from the motor, as the motor runs a fine mist of oil will get blown up the breather tube into the little box under the seat, This is then scavenged out by suction created in the airbox, dragging said oil mist into the motor and burning it off. If you do fit a crankcase K&N, be sure to blank off the hole in the air box.

Capo
07-11-2006, 08:28 AM

The stock breather system has a lot to do with emmissions from the motor, as the motor runs a fine mist of oil will get blown up the breather tube into the little box under the seat, This is then scavenged out by suction created in the airbox, dragging said oil mist into the motor and burning it off. If you do fit a crankcase K&N, be sure to blank off the hole in the air box.

The 'little box under the seat' is actually an oil separator, the oil that is separated, runs back down the pipe into the engine. The air box connection is there to capture unburnt hydrocarbons.

MrsJel
07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
I was just going to post something similar to this - the sight glass looks like its got lard on it - was a little bit worried.

But now, I think I'll ride it to work tomorrow to see if that helps.

Carole

bulldog
09-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Pedro. Where have you mounted the K&N. Not a lot of clearance bteween crankcase outlet and the fins of the rear cylinder??

Shandy
09-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Pedro. Where have you mounted the K&N. Not a lot of clearance bteween crankcase outlet and the fins of the rear cylinder??

I've got one of them fitted aswell i'll stick a picture up later if i get a chance. It does fit in the space there but only just!!

Shandy
09-11-2006, 06:27 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/KN1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/ducatimonsterdog/Monster%20Pics/KN.jpg

Got mine from this guy,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Crankcase-Breather-Kit_W0QQitemZ290046408111QQihZ019QQcategoryZ10448Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Came with bungs for the airbox and everything. It means you can get rid of lots of nasty pipes :biggrin:

Cheers,

Shandy

manwithredbike
23-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I did - and it does :thumbsup:

I got a 20 degree increase in oil temp and it reduced emulsification on all but shortest runs. I've also ditched the breather system and gone for a K&N directly on the crankcase, as I'm sure the breather traps water in the engine. You need a temperature gauge fitted before you blank off cooler so you can monitor oil temp. I went for one that screws in the filler opening.

gary (or anyone else) - where do you get the screw-in guage??

Scotty
23-11-2006, 03:38 PM
ebay dont ya know

gary tompkins
23-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Yup - twas indeed ebay

Cost about £25 from a guy in Germany

jerry
24-11-2006, 11:33 AM
After a run on a cool day when i put the bike to bed I open the oil filler cap for 10 minutes , cover with tissue and hey presto all the vapours escape and there is no misting on the oil sight glass.

jerry

Kato
24-11-2006, 11:54 AM
gary (or anyone else) - where do you get the screw-in guage??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-Monster-S4-600-748-900-SS-999-oil-temp-gauge_W0QQitemZ330050988297QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1044 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330050988297

gary tompkins
24-11-2006, 12:09 PM
After a run on a cool day when i put the bike to bed I open the oil filler cap for 10 minutes , cover with tissue and hey presto all the vapours escape and there is no misting on the oil sight glass.

jerry

A possible solution if you can be arsed to do that after every run (which I can't) or the bike is stored dry in a garage. Try it when the bikes left outdoors in the rain and you may end up with more water in the oil than you bargained for.

The bin breather hose/tank, fit K&N and tape up the oil cooler option works for me. Still occasionally fogs up sight glass on really cold/short runs but a big improvement IMO :cool: Still a good idea to have the gauge to keep a check on oil temp though - if only to avoid overheating in summer.

gary tompkins
24-11-2006, 12:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-Monster-S4-600-748-900-SS-999-oil-temp-gauge_W0QQitemZ330050988297QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1044 8QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330050988297

Thats the one - although as I said mine came from a German ebayer

Be interesting to see what bidding goes up to?

manwithredbike
24-11-2006, 02:50 PM
thanks
also found this link although there's no ducati version mentioned in the list of bike options. maybe one of the models listed will have the same fitting as the ducati. at least i know they're out there

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=527168

gary tompkins
24-11-2006, 03:56 PM
I actually rang M&P first - but they were unsure if they could get one to fit the oil filler neck of the monster. I subsequently spotted the German guy flogging them on ebay and snapped one up - which obviously proved you can get Motodetail gauges to fit Ducati's.

I've attached a couple of photos of the K&N breather filter in place as promised earlier...

jerry
25-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I think i will get one of these breather kits for my M750 when i am back in UK,does any oil or mist weep out of them?.

wont need one for the S4 in Thailand as it always get hot and hotter, no misty oil window here.

jerry

gary tompkins
25-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I did get a little weeping on the trike when I first fitted it. Just a dribble from the base - but found I just needed to do the Jubille clip up a bit tighter. No problems with it at all since then.

If you do fit one make sure you block up the holes in the airbox left by removal of the hose & breather box. The full kits come with blanking plugs to do this, but I went for the cheapo 'filter only' option and had to blank the holes myself.

banditloon
25-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Thank Gawd for that. Thought I was going to have to do an engine strip down. Haven't seen the oil sight glass for ages!! Just lovely lardy and mayo!

Off to do some fleabay shopping :spin: :D