PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

Buzz
03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I've currently got Metzeler M1s on my M750 and both front & back are now getting low on tread. Whilst I've been very happy with them, the rear's only done about 1,500 miles!

Recently sold my car, so am using the bike every day for work. Any suggestions for replacement tyres that might last a bit longer & be good in the inevitable rain/sleet etc. etc. this winter?

Anyone tried Continental 'Road Attack Sports Touring' tyres on their Monster? Love the tread pattern & they seem pretty cheap at the moment.

Pedro
03-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Pirellia Diablos, the normal ones not the Corsas. I got pretty decent milage out of a set, about 4500 miles I think and one track day. Good feel in the wet etc

Ped

Stafford
03-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Pirellia Diablos, the normal ones not the Corsas. I got pretty decent milage out of a set, about 4500 miles I think and one track day. Good feel in the wet etc
Ped

Why not Corsas then Pedro?
Cheers
Quarxuk

Bodybag
03-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Pirelli Diablos. Good feel in the wet etc

Ped,

You're joking aren't you? They're the worst wet weather tyre I've used.

Conti Road Attacks have outstanding grip in all weather and will cope with anything including track days. They'll also give you a huge amount of mileage before they need replacing. Once I've trashed the crap Pirelli Diablo's I was persuaded to buy I'll be going back to Conti Road Attacks!!

Just my personal opinion by the way.

HTH.

Phil

JMo
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Ha! - must be the way you ride/your bike is set up Bodybag... (are you sure it's not all that oil spilling out onto your rear tyre?! x) - as I'd agree with Ped (and the Desmo Due racers) - the standard Pirelli Diablos are a great tyre in all weathers, and easily last 4500 miles or even more if you're gentle...

Corsas are stickier Quarxuk, but don't last as long, and probably don't heat up as well in winter either?

xxx

ps. I would concede that Bodybag has done a lot of miles on his S4 this year, and in all weathers, so I'm sure the Conti's are a good bet also x

Buzz
03-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Cheers people. Looks like both have their fans - I'll see what the best deal is and that'll probably sway it!

Another question, the front is currently a 120/60. Anything to be gained/lost from going to a 120/70? Will it fit?

Scotty
03-11-2006, 04:17 PM
yes the DD racers do that for faster tip in or sumit

try it and see if you like it

slob
03-11-2006, 05:01 PM
yes the DD racers do that for faster tip in or sumit

try it and see if you like it

You can run off the edge of a /60 at extreme angles of dangle, although using a /70 on the road may technically invalidate your insurance as Ducati don't specifically recommend that profile, some manufacturers now offer a /65 too.

I use BT014s and am very happy(they keep up with diabolo shod bikes on trackdays and last 4K miles-ish on the rear) although next week I hope to be doing a spot of extreme tesing on Michelin Pilot Powers... will keep you posted .

Buzz
03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Given that I've still got 1/2" chicken strips either side of my front, I don't think my 'dangle angle' is an issue :eyepopping:

I'll stick with 120/60s!

JMo
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
You can run off the edge of a /60 at extreme angles of dangle, although using a /70 on the road may technically invalidate your insurance as Ducati don't specifically recommend that profile, some manufacturers now offer a /65 too.

Not sure that insurance is really an issue Rob?! - it's more that the profile of the 120/60 more evenly matches the flatter profile (and shallower sidewall) of the 160/60 rear... Monsters with a 180/55 rear tyre all use the 120/70 front tyre (which is slightly deeper of course) to maintain a similar ratio... but yes, as you suggest, you can run to the edge of a 120/60 as it is flatter in comparison.

As I understand it, the shallower (ie. 60 profile) front sidewall will mean the front turns in quicker (I recall something about Yamaha R6's having a problem with turning in too tight, and changing to a 70 profile helping to calm that) - as the deeper 70 section front sidewall has the effect of lengthening the trail and improving stability or some such nerdishness...

Therefore, running a 120/70 on the front will aid stability, and give a slight increase in ground clearance, but slow the steering down... however, you can redress that by raising the rear suspension (again improving ground clearance) and reinstating the original trail angle...

Oh the joys of spanners...

Yawn.

xxx

katana
03-11-2006, 09:29 PM
What kind of price are you getting for road attacks?

Buzz
03-11-2006, 09:38 PM
On eBay for £135 (incl. delivery) a pair here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/120-60ZR17-160-60ZR17-Continental-Road-Attack-PAIR_W0QQitemZ300039499386QQihZ020QQcategoryZ21669 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Never used 'blackandround' but they're a Powerseller so should be okay.

Bodybag
03-11-2006, 10:04 PM
At that price I'll be ordering a set to have ready for when the Pirelli's finally die.

katana
07-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Know anyone that will fit and balance, in london, at a low cost?

JMo
07-11-2006, 10:12 AM
That's the problem with mail-order tyres - you take them into a fitter and they suck their teeth and scratch their (sometimes) imaginery beard, and then charge you full wack because you didn't buy the tyres from them...

However, FWR on Kennington Road (on the way from the Oval to Waterloo) are a good place for cheap tyres and fitting - haven't got their number but they are always advertising deals in MCN...

xxx

katana
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
That's the problem with mail-order tyres - you take them into a fitter and they suck their teeth and scratch their (sometimes) imaginery beard, and then charge you full wack because you didn't buy the tyres from them...

However, FWR on Kennington Road (on the way from the Oval to Waterloo) are a good place for cheap tyres and fitting - haven't got their number but they are always advertising deals in MCN...

xxx
Essential Rubber are cheaper for the whole deal.