PDA

View Full Version : Firing Pulses

Norton
30-10-2006, 06:17 PM
A comment by the salesman about "big bang" when I bought my Monster didn't sink in at the time and I am wondering if he was referring to the firing pulses being 90 degrees apart on the S4r. This would make it sound like a big single rather than the more conventional 270 degree spacing. Listening to it I can't decide as the 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust flattens out the sound a lot. Does anyone know.

Cheers

barbican
30-10-2006, 06:58 PM
A comment by the salesman about "big bang" when I bought my Monster didn't sink in at the time and I am wondering if he was referring to the firing pulses being 90 degrees apart on the S4r. This would make it sound like a big single rather than the more conventional 270 degree spacing. Listening to it I can't decide as the 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust flattens out the sound a lot. Does anyone know.

Cheers

Most British twins had even firing intervals 180 degrees apart, and I suppose the Ducati must be uneven, but it still sounds fantastic at full tilt so who cares!

Sparky
30-10-2006, 07:18 PM
The air cooled monsters are 270 degree. I'm pretty sure the S4R is the same as the sound the same.

Barbican....british twins were 360 degree which gives even firing, 180 gives uneven firing like the jap twins. Don't forget there are two complete revolutions per bang on a four stroke;) .

Chris

Norton
30-10-2006, 07:34 PM
My Norton is a 360 parallel twin so has even firing. Triumphs I believe are 180 to give good primary balance but they still sound relatively smooth. I think it is the more pronounced uneveness (!) of the V that makes the sound so effective.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

barbican
30-10-2006, 07:44 PM
The air cooled monsters are 270 degree. I'm pretty sure the S4R is the same as the sound the same.

Barbican....british twins were 360 degree which gives even firing, 180 gives uneven firing like the jap twins. Don't forget there are two complete revolutions per bang on a four stroke;) .

Chris

Yeah and don't forgrt the crank turned 180 degrees between the bangs!

barbican
30-10-2006, 07:56 PM
My Norton is a 360 parallel twin so has even firing. Triumphs I believe are 180 to give good primary balance but they still sound relatively smooth. I think it is the more pronounced uneveness (!) of the V that makes the sound so effective.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers

50's on Triumphs BSA and Norton twins were all parallel twins - Commando engines and BSA A10's were designed by Bert Hopwood, who also worked on Triumph engines under Turner. Over the years I've worked / rebuilt several but never turned single nut on a Ducati. I agree the sound is very distinctive. Wish I could have one of each!

barbican
30-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah and don't forgrt the crank turned 180 degrees between the bangs!

B*gger - Wrong again! 360?

lcjohnny
08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
:D yup: D

Norton
16-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Actually I thought it more like Flubadubadubadub.......

lcjohnny
16-11-2006, 11:52 PM
You are smoking flowerpots? no?

Try the other sort & don't listen to 'little weeds'

:o)

Norton
17-11-2006, 10:04 AM
The Bike magazine readers amongst us may remember Ogri's bike Armageddon was a Norvin with a Vincent V twin lump the sound of which was described as CrobaCrobacroba.... I just think the Monster is a tad more subtle but not as in yer face as a 9XX on Termis!

What do you think?