PDA

View Full Version : Daytona Fall Motorcycle Races Report

Byron Kauffman
24-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Fall Races just ended here in Daytona and thought you might like some news.
There were four days of racing ending on Sunday.
Daytona introduced a new MOTO-ST endurance series this year with a 8-hour race from day into night. It is set up by the same people that run the 24 hours of Daytona car race so they had similar rules including the safety car.
There was a strange mix of 38 bikes ranging from Ducati Multistrada, 749 Monster, Three Paul Smart Sport Classics, MZ1000, Aprilia 1000 Tuono, Suzuki SV1000S, BMW R1200, Buell XB12, Honda VTR1000F, Kawasaki 650 Ninja, and even a Hyosung GT650 from Korea.
You will be happy to hear the 749 Monster did well and eventually finished 28th. All Three Paul Smarts finished as well as the Multi Strada as first finishing Ducati at 14th, 21 laps down.
The team of Stephane Mertens, Brian Parriott, Nate Kern finished 1st on a BMW R1200 covering 228 laps (3.56 miles each) with a best lap time of 1:58.152.
The weekend was record breaking heat for this time of year topping 90F each day. I worked as a corner worker in the west horseshoe helping downed riders so I do not have photos to post.
They will run a 3 hour version this March during Bike Week and hopefully have more teams entered. Should be a good show if you can make it (the exchange rate is in your favor).

claicerrig
24-10-2006, 10:33 PM
OHHHHHH BYRON how are you doing my old Mate :drunk: :drunk:

Now next March sounds tempting me and Tony will let you know :thumbsup:

Clai

Byron Kauffman
24-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Hello Clai:

Good to hear from you. Let me know if you and Tony decide to make it over. Friends are already making plans to be here but I can always make room for a few more especially if you are loaded heavy with Guinness and Colemans mustard in the tube.

A option for anyone wanting to come to Bike Week and don't mind doing a little work. My friend arranges the corner workers for Daytona motorcycle events. It is a all volunteer group so no pay but they have been working on camping, shower and even meals at the speedway for people working the events from out of town so you pretty much live for free. Basically you help with flagging, radio, or helping downed racers during the race day. Some people work a few days, some work all week. They teach you what you need to know at the morning meeting. You can not buy a ticket or pass that gets you closer to the action than a corner worker pass. This past weekend I helped with 7 downed bikes, worked the flags and the radio over 3 days. They gave us breakfast, lunch and dinner and we were around motorcycles and sunshine so it was a great weekend. Just a option for someone wanting to see Daytona races and keep expenses down. There is everything from Vintage races, Super Bike, Battle of the Twins, Two Strokes and all the usual HD biker madness during bike week (just ask Clai for verification).
If you would like more info let me know and I will try to provide more.

claicerrig
26-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Well Byron

It looks like you will have at least 2 definite Welsh volunteers :woot: :woot: Could be 2 or 3 others as well

Can you pm me more details it looks like we are planning being there from the 7th of march till the 14 march at least

Chat later Clai

Byron Kauffman
27-10-2006, 01:57 AM
Clai;

I will get the details for working at the track during Bike Week and post it as soon as I have the info.

Byron