PDA

View Full Version : Sorn ?

Pugi
19-10-2006, 06:13 PM
So...not only have I, as the FWB I am, put the bike in the garage for winter and started to tinker with it, but also received one of those letters from the nice people at the DVLA. Yup, it's tax time again.

Now, in the far north where I'm originally from....no, no....proper north - Sweden, we just don't ride road bikes during winter. Instead they are all put on SORN and no tax is paid for those months (lower insurance cost too). There aren't as many winter months here so it's not worth the bother, except maybe for this one time so I can postpone it and pay it in spring instead.

So...my question is: If I put my bike on SORN for a few months, how much work will it cause me? Is it a simple phonecall and payment of the fee to get it back on the road, just like home. Or is there more involved?

Scotty
19-10-2006, 06:27 PM
nah easy as that

visit the post office and fill the form pay up and go home with a colourfull little disk of paper

at the moment im considering this since im perticulary hard up

mid way through the year of tax you can get a form to fill in and stick tax disk to and you post it off and eventually you get a cheque back in the post.
however if i managed not to ride for 3 months it would only save £15 its hardly worth it

Shandy
19-10-2006, 06:28 PM
You can declare SORN on-line here,

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=F6w4q6g2M5lRat rAGHxn32wj8PrbxCxFfZsJ3Yj2aBoK1wv6gla3!454925718!8 79545306?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Home

and then i think you can just re-apply here,

http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=F6w4q6g2M5lRat rAGHxn32wj8PrbxCxFfZsJ3Yj2aBoK1wv6gla3!454925718!8 79545306?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Home

I'll be doing the same next week before taking it to bits so hopefully the above is right :look:

Cheers,

Shandy

Pugi
19-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Ahh...simplicity at its best, just the way we like it. Looks like I'll be going sorn for a few months then.
Cheers guys!

Shandy
20-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Ahh...simplicity at its best, just the way we like it. Looks like I'll be going sorn for a few months then.
Cheers guys!

No problem :flag:

Kiwi
20-10-2006, 09:37 PM
No problem :flag:
no problem at all

got a few bikes on sorn

just do it and when then bike is sorted launch it back onto the road and sort the paperwork out at that stage

gary tompkins
21-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I've taxed and declared sorn both cars and bikes on the DVLA website. Easy to suss and saves the hassle of fighting with a queue at the local post office. You need to have one of the new style computerised MOT certificates for it to work though.

Just put the trike on a Sorn and re-taxed the bike for the winter online:thumbsup:

Shandy
21-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Easy to suss and saves the hassle of fighting with a queue at the local post office

Your no kidding, it's just taken me all of 2 minutes to SORN the monster :thumbsup:

Let the work begin :yoparty: :yoparty: well maybe tomorrow, time for beer :booze: :booze:

Pugi
21-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Easy as kids play. What was I worrying about? We'll see waht happens in spring though.

Will I get back the extra few days of tax I had left in the following year?

Scotty
21-10-2006, 04:12 PM
day's nah
whole months only